·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Stunning Wildcat Proves Buick Can Build Beautiful Cars Of The Future
Sep. 15, 2022
BY GERHARD HORN

We take a closer look at the Buick Wildcat at the Detroit Auto Show.

Photographs frequently don't do a car justice or go in the other direction and flatter a vehicle completely. The Wildcat is a 2+2 Coupe concept meant to show what Buick has in mind for the future. Unfortunately, that future doesn't mean a two-door sports coupe; Buick plans to take design elements from the Wildcat and implement them on upcoming models.
Though the Wildcat is unlikely to reach production in its current form, seeing it in person confirmed that Buick has what it takes to build some stunning vehicles in the future as it transitions towards EVs. That future better come sooner rather than later because the brand risks becoming irrelevant.
Would you like to know more?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I cannot Gerhard Horn seriously. He said that Buick has nothing like the Wildcat in its inventory. This was true when the Wildcat concept was unveiled. These many months later, it is no longer true--not globally at any rate. Buick has already introduced its new Wildcat-inspired Envista ICE-powered crossover in China.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 2014 Cadillac Saks 5th Ave ELR, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
12,033 Posts
But they ain't gonna.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I like it. But GM right now will never build this or any future low slung turreted Buick coupe or sedan for NA.

·
Super Moderator
21,761 Posts
They stated this is a show car styling exercise and not going to build it. Plus, I bet if this were sold it would be a $300k+ vehicle, a stretch for Cadillac and not even in the realm of what Buick is.

I say it's a very cool vehicle - enjoy it and move on. Every company does this - fantastic show car and we see some element in a blah mainstream car.

To us, the car looks like a stubby shooting brake. It's an excellent idea, but the side profile could do with 50% less design. A truly incredible design requires only three or four pencil strokes.
As I quoted from the article, it is a little stubby, but I like it. It is unique. I think if GM went with their suggested "three of four pencil strokes" it would be beautiful, but generic looking.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,866 Posts
Never going to happen, at least not with the current bunch at the helm and the state of affairs.
+1
That's definitely the case for the U.S. market. The brand's long-term survival in that market is dubious.

Future China domestic market Buicks may include something "beautiful" in the lineup, even if they lack Wildcat's presence.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The China-market Envista - having only minor similarities in headlights & grille proportions - is
far far & away from the impact this Wildcat concept is exhibiting.
What you just described has been the way that the concepts' styling elements are translated to production vehicles since the original concept--the Buick Y-Job.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
The Buick commercial with the wildcat parking itself with four wheel steering and the woman driving it tapping the windshield as her infotainment screen is awesome! I often wonder why that can’t be done now, it reminds me of the Audi cars in I robot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts