GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The situation is serious’: Germany plans to fire up coal plants as Russia throttles gas supplies
CNBC PUBLISHED MON, JUN 20 20226:02 AM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • Economy Minister Robert Habeck on Sunday warned that the situation is going to be “really tight in winter” without precautionary measures to prevent a supply shortage.
  • In light of that, Germany will seek to compensate for a cut in Russian gas supplies by increasing the burning of coal.
  • Coal is the most carbon-intensive fossil fuel in terms of emissions and therefore the most important target for replacement in the transition to renewable alternatives.

Germany plans to compensate for a cut in Russian gas supplies by increasing the burning of coal — the most carbon-intensive fossil fuel in terms of emissions.

Germany has said the deteriorating gas market situation means Europe’s largest economy must limit the use of natural gas for electricity production and burn more coal for a “transitional period.”
Economy Minister Robert Habeck on Sunday warned that the situation is going to be “really tight in winter” without precautionary measures to prevent a supply shortage.

As a result, Germany will seek to compensate for a cut in Russian gas supplies by increasing the burning of coal — the most carbon-intensive fossil fuel in terms of emissions and therefore the most important target for replacement in the transition toward renewable alternatives.

“That’s bitter, but it’s almost necessary in this situation to reduce gas consumption. We must and we will do everything we can to store as much gas as possible in summer and autumn,” the Green Party’s Habeck said in a statement, according to a translation.

“The gas storage tanks must be full in winter. That has top priority,” he added.

That comes shortly after an ominous warning from Russia’s state-backed energy giant Gazprom exacerbated fears of a full supply disruption to the European Union.

Gazprom said last week that it had further limited supplies via the Nord Stream 1 pipeline that runs from Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea.

German Economy Minister Robert Habeck said the “tense situation and high prices are a direct consequence of Putin’s war of aggression against Ukraine.”

Gazprom cited a technical problem for the supply cut, saying the issue stemmed from the delayed return of equipment serviced by Germany’s Siemens Energy in Canada.

Habeck has rejected that claim, saying the move was politically motivated and designed to unsettle the region and ramp up gas prices.

‘Our product, our rules’
In fiery comments likely to have sent alarm bells ringing throughout European capitals, Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller said Thursday that Russia will play by its own rules after the firm halved supplies to Germany.

“Our product, our rules. We don’t play by rules we didn’t create,” Miller said during a panel session at the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, according to The Moscow Times.

Italy, Austria and Slovakia have also reported supply reductions from Russia.

Policymakers in Europe are currently scrambling to fill underground storage with natural gas supplies to provide households with enough fuel to keep the lights on and homes warm before the cold returns.

The EU, which receives roughly 40% of its gas via Russian pipeline, is trying to rapidly reduce its reliance on Russian hydrocarbons in response to the Kremlin’s months-long onslaught in Ukraine.

It’s not yet known when or if Nord Stream 1 gas flows will return to normal levels.

“The tense situation and high prices are a direct consequence of Putin’s war of aggression against Ukraine. There is no mistake. What’s more, it’s obviously Putin’s strategy to unsettle us, drive up prices and divide us. We won’t allow that. We defend ourselves resolutely, precisely and thoughtfully,” Habeck said.

Germany’s storage facilities are currently at around 56% capacity, above the storage levels in the same period last year, Habeck said.

“The missing quantities can still be replaced, and the gas storage tanks are still being filled, albeit at high prices. Security of supply is currently guaranteed but the situation is serious,” he added.

LINK

Germany never want to buy Russian oil or gas ever again from them, can't blame them respect them for standing up against a bully. It is serious wonder what fuels they will use to replace Russia oil/gas long term, coal powered VW EV's is the dirtiest fuel around apart from the bunker oil That the big ships are still allowed to burn. Coal become Germany's No1 largest source of generating electric power last year, things are just going to get worse long term now. Maybe they should think about German hydrogen cars are now looking a much cleaner viable alternative, as coal looks like being the No1 source powering EV's in the future in Germany, they don't want go down the nuclear route after what happened in Japan, France is totally the opposite are happy using Nuclear power.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
It's easy to blame their energy crisis all on Russian gas but the reality is they had problems way before the war started. They are years ahead of the U.S. with their green agenda and as per usual the politicians want something but don't know how to properly get there.

They are just reacting to the citizens screaming about high electricity costs because the price has jumped 50% in Germany over a very short period of time.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The cheering for Russia is a bit misplaced. Russia is primarily an extraction-based economy. It sells oil and gas to the rest of the World. It provides other goods and services, but I won't go into those here. I digress. Following its invasion of Ukraine, Russia's customers placed a partial but growing boycott on its primary products. This has had major negative impact on the Russian economy. In response, now Russia wants to further restrict the sales of its primary products to its primary customers.

Yes, Germany has aggressive plans to go green. Switching from gas to coal for its fossil fuel-powered electricity generation plants is a hiccup in its plans. However, I doubt that the average German citizen will know the difference. Unlike 80 years ago, Germany has a lot of friends and allies today. It has a number of options for replacing the gas that it no longer receives from Russia. Unlike 80 years ago, Russia has few friends and allies. What is it going to do with the gas that it does not sell to Germany?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,793 Posts
It's easy to blame their energy crisis all on Russian gas but the reality is they had problems way before the war started. They are years ahead of the U.S. with their green agenda and as per usual the politicians want something but don't know how to properly get there.

They are just reacting to the citizens screaming about high electricity costs because the price has jumped 50% in Germany over a very short period of time.
As goes the rest of the world so will we(for better or worse). Better brace yourselves for a rough ride.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Back to the future. You see ‘green’ doesn’t work all that well.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
It can but for it to work smoothly you need to put some obvious things in place to make the transition smooth.

That would be foolishly thinking that the politicians actually cared enough about their constituents to put them first before their own agenda and we all know that's not the case for either side.

·
Premium Member
36,771 Posts
Up is down. Bad is good. Green is red. "Renewable energy" will not come to fruition in most of our lifetimes. Unless there's someone on here who is one years old. And even then, not.

Oil is renewable.

These people are like young teenagers, shunning the kids they don't like--no matter their personal qualities--because they're not in the in crowd. Children.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
The cheering for Russia is a bit misplaced. Russia is primarily an extraction-based economy. It sells oil and gas to the rest of the World. It provides other goods and services, but I won't go into those here. I digress. Following its invasion of Ukraine, Russia's customers placed a partial but growing boycott on its primary products. This has had major negative impact on the Russian economy. In response, now Russia wants to further restrict the sales of its primary products to its primary customers.

Yes, Germany has aggressive plans to go green. Switching from gas to coal for its fossil fuel-powered electricity generation plants is a hiccup in its plans. However, I doubt that the average German citizen will know the difference. Unlike 80 years ago, Germany has a lot of friends and allies today. It has a number of options for replacing the gas that it no longer receives from Russia. Unlike 80 years ago, Russia has few friends and allies. What is it going to do with the gas that it does not sell to Germany?
Sadly, China and India are more than happy to take cheap gas and oil from Russia. I read that Russia's new game is to shut off the transponder of the oil tankers when making deliveries.

Russia energy exports to China soar, displacing Saudi Arabia as Beijing’s top supplier | Fox Business

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Sadly, China and India are more than happy to take cheap gas and oil from Russia. I read that Russia's new game is to shut off the transponder of the oil tankers when making deliveries.

Russia energy exports to China soar, displacing Saudi Arabia as Beijing’s top supplier | Fox Business
The friendship between India and Russia is longstanding going back to the days of the Soviet Union. The China situation is something different. It is an indication of just how precarious Russia's circumstances have become. While Russia is nuzzling up to China, China is gaming out a possible invasion of Russia.

... those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.—President John F. Kennedy

·
Premium Member
36,771 Posts
I'm thinking that Russia firing billions of rounds of explosives into the Ukraine is doing far more damage to the environment than burning some coal.
Yes indeed. Not to mention burning cities, burning tanks, and all that heavy military equipment that's possibly not smogified. No worries, their new Neville Chamberlains will soon solve the Euros' problems.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
The friendship between India and Russia is longstanding going back to the days of the Soviet Union. The China situation is something different. It is an indication of just how precarious Russia's circumstances have become. While Russia is nuzzling up to China, China is gaming out a possible invasion of Russia.

... those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.—President John F. Kennedy
I doubt China would try to take over Russia militarily - huge cost due to the size of Russia and all of Russia's nukes. But, it wouldn't surprise me if China tries to infiltrate Russia's government to better get Russia to do their bidding (much as I think China is trying with most major powers, including the USA). But, as it is right now, Russia just played right into China's hand. China is now getting cheap oil and presumably other raw materials on the cheap - what more could China want? And the best thing for China is they didn't have to do a single thing to get this to happen - Russia did it to itself. Xi is probably having a good laugh at his "friend", Putin.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,780 Posts
But, as it is right now, Russia just played right into China's hand. China is now getting cheap oil and presumably other raw materials on the cheap - what more could China want? And the best thing for China is they didn't have to do a single thing to get this to happen - Russia did it to itself. Xi is probably having a good laugh at his "friend", Putin.
Yeah, there's no chance China (or India) are helping 'em out because of "goodwill".
All Putin did was set himself up to get fleeced "crocodile tears flowing".

In the meantime, Europe is doing what it needs to do... move away from any dependence on this guy.
Moving away from Middle East dependence would be a bonus.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,486 Posts
Green works fine but politicians want it yesterday and it will take decades. Oil demand isn't predicted to peek for 15 YEARS.

I loaded up on oil stocks last year and I am staying long as prices will be staying high and going higher.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Green works fine but politicians want it yesterday and it will take decades. Oil demand isn't predicted to peek for 15 YEARS.

I loaded up on oil stocks last year and I am staying long as prices will be staying high and going higher.

I’m old enough to remember decades ago when all the experts quoted by the media told us that the world would run out of oil in ten years.

The mainstream media always like to quote perceived experts on anything they write about. None are ever held accountable for this misinformation.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I’m old enough to remember decades ago when all the experts quoted by the media told us that the world would run out of oil in ten years.

The mainstream media always like to quote perceived experts on anything they write about. None are ever held accountable for this misinformation.
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant

More expert analysis.

Font Material property Screenshot Document Number

·
Premium Member
36,771 Posts

And of course The Coming Ice Age! Disaster sells papers. If it bleeds, it leads.

Anything to get their name on TV and then write a book or three about the COMING DISASTER!!! and then go on the lecture circuit and TV shows tour. Making stuff up pays very well.
For those who think these were "honest errors," I have some land in Greenland for sale, and a couple of bridges in NYC. Because I'm such a nice guy, I will give you fitty percent off and throw in a My Pillow. FREE!! FREE!!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
This nonsense again. As I said when this silly timeline was posted before, many of the things that the timeline claims as false predictions are things that we are struggling with now. Super hurricanes are just one example.

And to repeat a point that I made the last time--people poo-pooing global climate change post political screeds. That "timeline" is the product of the American Enterprise Institute, not any science organization. Climate change deniers never ever post links to actual agencies that have real data. To call an AEI screed expert analysis is laughable.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts