GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/16/the-secret-life-of-the-chevy-volt/

An article in the Atlantic Monthly examines the genesis and gestation of the Chevy Volt, and concludes with an intriguing mix of potential hits and misses. Calling the Volt "the Barack Obama of automobiles-everyone's hope for change," even the Atlantic Monthly knows that this car currently means more to GM and perhaps the U.S. car buying public than anything else. There is a huge amount of emotion behind the Volt, and not all of it is supportive.
More at the link.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Excellent article. I can only say that I wish the best for all of the dedicated GM people who are trying to mke this car a reality. Kudos to Bob Lutz and Rick Wagoner for attempting such a bold product. May their daring be rewarded with success.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
"The article is just as much about GM and how the company operates as it is about the car. The case is put forward that this is less about the viability of the Volt and more about whether GM can finally execute a proper long term follow through. GM has had brilliant ideas before, but its commitment and track record of seeing them through to successful ends isn't so great."

In the past, this part of the article can be true towards GM. But now, with GM brining out some great vehicles within the past few years and what to come, I think GM has learned from its mistakes and can promise the Volt to what we expect of it; Just keep it priced right (under 30k).

·
Registered
867 Posts
Excellent article. I can only say that I wish the best for all of the dedicated GM people who are trying to mke this car a reality. Kudos to Bob Lutz and Rick Wagoner for attempting such a bold product. May their daring be rewarded with success.
I agree. This is the best Volt article I have read. Interesting to see how General Motors is wisely utilizing development engineers and scientists with EV1 experience on the Volt. I am sure they can utilize their EV1 experience on the Volt.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I look forward to the articles about people trading in their Prius for a Volt.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
I agree. This is the best Volt article I have read. Interesting to see how General Motors is wisely utilizing development engineers and scientists with EV1 experience on the Volt. I am sure they can utilize their EV1 experience on the Volt.
To my mind the Volt is EV2. Or, EV1 was actually the Volt sans generator due to weird California politics, as we found out recently in another article.

I do think that all the ducks are lined up for GM this time around. People want GM to succeed, the media is on GM's side, the biggest naysayers are Toyota et al, and the perception is that this is "high tech" something the US is known for.

If it works and then Toyota copies it, GM can simply comment on the fact that Toyota is doing the typical Japanese thing and copying something American. It would work wonders for the psyche of Americans and GM to watch someone scrambling to do what GM has done. It's why I'm so hopeful for the Volt, and what it will do for GM internally and morale-wise.

It's a great article. Perhaps most telling is this quote:

“The empire strikes back,” is how one executive sums up the Volt’s effect on morale.

Nothing gets you going better than proving that you're still relevant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts