GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right or wrong, it appears Alan Mullally is bringing to Ford a level of focus and an understanding of the global market that GM does not seem to have.

In recent months, as Ford Motor Company executives watched $4 a gallon gas and a softening economy take a growing toll on sales and market share, the chief executive, Alan R. Mulally, prodded his management team for answers.

“Everybody says cut and cut some more, but how are we going to sustain this company?” Mr. Mulally said in one meeting in his office on the 12th floor of Ford headquarters, according to people in attendance. “What does a sustainable Ford look like, gentlemen?”

...“Why can’t we make money on small cars?” Mr. Mulally said, according to two people in attendance. “Do you think Toyota can’t make money on small cars?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/business/24ford.html?em&ex=1217044800&en=722c765508c4711f&ei=5087

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Ford Europe has demonstrated PROFITTABLE SUSTAINABILITY for years.

Unfortunately Ford Domestic's current plan is for "new global product" to enter the US market in 2010 to 2011 ... and possibly as late as 2012.

Hopefully, these new Ford US offerings will be as "fuel frugal" as their current EU cousins [42/52 to 56/67 mpg(US/Imperial) combined cycle] ... even IF they are far too late to help the US consumer in the near term.
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/fuelConSearch.asp

These delivery schedules lead me to believe that 2009 will be a VERY DRY and PAINFUL year for Ford.

And, unless Chrysler and/or GM do have significant volumes of 40 (and greater) mpg combined average vehicles available in early 2009 ... 2009 will be a VERY VERY bad year for DETROIT.

Further, unless those "darn foreign badges" significantly increase the availability of 40 PLUS mpg combined average vehicles ... 2009 will be a terrible year for the US auto market.

Sadly, it appears to me that without those very fuel frugal machines in significant volumes from SOMEONE ... US auto sales could easily slip below 12 million units for 2009. And, possibly even significantly lower for the beginning of 2010.

I hope I am wrong ... but that is the way it looks to me ...

** TAKE CARE of YOURSELVES ... and ... EACH OTHER!!! **

1 - 2 of 2 Posts