GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would seem that the biggest problems that GM faces are the ones that they have not only faced for a long time, but also are the ones most difficult to resolve and least likely to be resolved anytime soon.
#1., Delphi. GM's former parts making operation was a reason GM got into trouble in the first place, and though Delphi was spun off in 1998, it still haunts GM. GM is still far to dependant on backrupt Delphi, Delphi's plan to exit backruptcy failed with no hope of emergence from Chapter 11 anytime soon, and thus GM is still on the hook to keep this mess going. Witness yet another loan by GM to Delphi this week, to the tune of $300 million.
#2., Market share. GM's market share has been in decline since the 80's. Despite GM's success with light trucks and SUV's, they have not been able to maintain market share. With the collapse of llight truck sales, a bad situation has got much worse. Currently, GM does not build enough vehicles per year to be profitable. Though they have reduced the number of vehicles needed to be profitable, the declining market share has made this a fast moving target GM is not able to hit.
#3., Too many brands. GM makes too many of the same vehicles under different brands, and distributes them through too many dealers. A huge problem that is another reason they are in the state they are in, and what it most worrysome is that this is a problem Rick and the board do not want to deal with. GM can't afford focused marketing across all these car lines, which are still selling essentially the same products. Individual dealers are not profitable enough to afford effective marketing on their own.
#4., The Board of Directors. These jokers have been asleep at the switch for far too long. This week, they announced that because of the situation GM is in, they are going to meet more often. Well, la de' f'in dah, you clowns just now figured out GM is in trouble? You guys should have been meeting DAILY since 2005!
The question remains, will any of this be solved? Is Chapter 11 an eventuality?

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
#4., The Board of Directors. These jokers have been asleep at the switch for far too long. This week, they announced that because of the situation GM is in, they are going to meet more often. Well, la de' f'in dah, you clowns just now figured out GM is in trouble? You guys should have been meeting DAILY since 2005!
Oh my this is bad news... Does anyone know how GM Board Directors get paid? Most BOD's get paid based on a stipend per meeting. If the double the number of meetings.. The have just granted themselves a 100% raise...

As a share holder I should know this... But I will bet that more board meetings will mean more money bled from our company.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my this is bad news... Does anyone know how GM Board Directors get paid? Most BOD's get paid based on a stipend per meeting. If the double the number of meetings.. The have just granted themselves a 100% raise...

As a share holder I should know this... But will bet that more board meetings will mean more money bled from our company.
Luckily, it would seem that they are just going to talk on the telephone!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/business/07auto.html?ref=automobiles

·
Banned
249 Posts
My problem that wont go away is failing alternators that wont last longer than 40k miles. THat is BS. I have had three GM trucks and they have all been the same. Also fail AC compressors that are expensive as all get out to replace. Im sick and tired of this crap all with under 50K miles and not driven hard. NO more GM for me because of the stupid problems like this that happen over and over and over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts