GM Inside News Forum banner
201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Unlike Unibody or BOF where it greatly benefits the maker to keep the dimensions the same. With production of skateboards you don’t have those limitations financially. There could be greater differentiation if GM chooses.
It should actually be identical to manufacturing costs for BOF; suspension(+motor) subassemblies are still attaching to a frame of different lengths, add in a battery pack on the BE, because the assembly operations and need for different length frames is still the same (via the pics here).

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
There are questions that aren't answered here, obviously. The concept of true work trucks did come up, but I have another. As a camper, a LOT of 1/2 ton trucks are used for truck campers, RV's, and even with the 6.5ft beds, 5th wheels. You are dealing with a lot of payload that moves for long distances. This is another place where body on frame comes in handy. The ability of the frame to flex slightly to not cause damage with heavy payloads which include pin weights on 5th wheels, and tongue weights on the very outer edge on TT's................ to say nothing of truck campers. Recent case in point, the recently cancelled Toyota Land Cruiser is notorious for cracking body pans.

Semi trucks have VERY flexible frames for this very reason. The pin weights that they deal with would crack the body / structure of too rigid of a platform. It has been tried, and failed.

Or, are they just going to concede the entire RV / horse industry??

BTW, I think it looks fine in a city street, car with a bed kind of way. Much better than the ridgeline. However, when your goal is zero, zero, zero, there are a lot of situations, and a lot of questions that go unasked, with no information volunteered.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts
There are questions that aren't answered here, obviously. The concept of true work trucks did come up, but I have another. As a camper, a LOT of 1/2 ton trucks are used for truck campers, RV's, and even with the 6.5ft beds, 5th wheels. You are dealing with a lot of payload that moves for long distances. This is another place where body on frame comes in handy. The ability of the frame to flex slightly to not cause damage with heavy payloads which include pin weights on 5th wheels, and tongue weights on the very outer edge on TT's................ to say nothing of truck campers. Recent case in point, the recently cancelled Toyota Land Cruiser is notorious for cracking body pans.

Semi trucks have VERY flexible frames for this very reason. The pin weights that they deal with would crack the body / structure of too rigid of a platform. It has been tried, and failed.

Or, are they just going to concede the entire RV / horse industry??

BTW, I think it looks fine in a city street, car with a bed kind of way. Much better than the ridgeline. However, when your goal is zero, zero, zero, there are a lot of situations, and a lot of questions that go unasked, with no information volunteered.
You make good points adding to some of the ones I brought up in an earlier post after finding out that they do have HD's on the horizon as well. My post, post #165 ;).

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
You make good points adding to some of the ones I brought up in an earlier post after finding out that they do have HD's on the horizon as well. My post, post #165 ;).
I get the HD thing, but if everyone wanted an HD for camping, then people wouldn't be using 1/2 tons, and they wouldn't make 1/2 ton capable trailers / campers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For a quick/rough comparison of the two "mainstream" EV trucks:

Payload
F-150: 2000lbs
Silverado: W/T - 1200lbs
Silverado: (higher trims) - 1300lbs

Tow
F-150: 10,000lbs
Silverado: W/T - 8000 lbs
Silverado (higher trims) - 10,000lbs

Hp/Tq
F-150: XL - 426/775
F-150: optional (XLT+) - 563/775
Silverado: W/T - 510/615
Silverado: (higher trims) - 664/780

Range
F-150: 230*-300*
Silverado: 400+

MSRP (starting)
F-150: XL-$41,669 XLT-$54,669 Lariat-$69,169 Platinum-$92,569
Silverado: W/T~$39,900**

*With 1000lbs payload
**plus destination, current for Silverado is $1595

They stack up rather well. I wonder how the unibody vs separate bed/cab will effect sales. You can already see all the "Avalanche" comments on this and many other forums.

I'm also wondering if they tested the Silverado EV unladen or with a 1000lb payload like Ford did with Lightning. Apparently there are reports of unladen early L's showing far more than 400 miles of range on a full charge.

Part of me thinks they did the testing with that payload so later they can tout "improved" range without having to do anything more than removing the weight for testing.
Okay, the all this above, is my quoting myself from another thread, I posted in a few days ago and did not get a response on if anyone has heard about how gm tested to get the range numbers for the SilvErado. It's just a point I'm really curious about.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Payload of 1200lbs for a 1/2 ton truck is akin to an SUV. 2000lbs is reasonable. Especially for a "work" truck. Think about 4 guys in the cab, and a cooler. There will be enough payload left for a good sized water cooler and some shovels. Put that "rack" they showed in one of the pictures on, and you have to kick a couple of coworkers to the curb.

By comparison, the current Silverado 1500 has a payload of 1750-2200.

Based on that, I understand why they don't care about the RV industry.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
^ Agreed: 1200 lbs is light; too light. Chevy cannot come to market with only 1200 lbs payload.

We need separate cab/bed trucks, in multiple configurations, matching the current catalog. Is GM actually proposing
A. only 1 configuration??, or
B. multiple single-unit body offerings?? Because that's going to be expensive to produce all those full-welded body assemblies.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,466 Posts
Okay, the all this above, is my quoting myself from another thread, I posted in a few days ago and did not get a response on if anyone has heard about how gm tested to get the range numbers for the SilvErado. It's just a point I'm really curious about.
I don't know the answer to your question , but the Lightning website says that the range (230mi/300mi) are "targeted EPA-estimated range" numbers. Does the EPA includes any load in their pickup tests? Maybe not, I'm not sure.

The GM range numbers are also their estimates of EPA range.

^ Agreed: 1200 lbs is light; too light. Chevy cannot come to market with only 1200 lbs payload.

We need separate cab/bed trucks, in multiple configurations, matching the current catalog. Is GM actually proposing
A. only 1 configuration??, or
B. multiple single-unit body offerings?? Because that's going to be expensive to produce all those full-welded body assemblies.
Chevy has announced that a version will have 20K towing capacity, I assume this would also have higher payload.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question , but the Lightning website says that the range (230mi/300mi) are "targeted EPA-estimated range" numbers. Does the EPA includes any load in their pickup tests? Maybe not, I'm not sure.

The GM range numbers are also their estimates of EPA range.

Chevy has announced that a version will have 20K towing capacity, I assume this would also have higher payload.
It would not at all surprise me if they were sandbagging and the final numbers come close or equal to the Silverado's numbers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It would not at all surprise me if they were sandbagging and the final numbers come close or equal to the Silverado's numbers.
This. Some would ask why. Because they can set the bar seemingly low and be "overshot" by their primary competition (not small niches) only to turn around and say "Wow, we actually have better numbers than expected."

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
This. Some would ask why. Because they can set the bar seemingly low and be "overshot" by their primary competition (not small niches) only to turn around and say "Wow, we actually have better numbers than expected."
my guess is they do NOT want to over promise and under deliver and FINAL numbers are NOT finalized

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
For anybody's who's interested, Autoline will be discussing the new pickup this afternoon.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts