GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cool article from Hemmings blog about a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2-door.

Jim Ross, of Latrobe, Pennsylvania, worked for a paving company that was assigned a driveway-resealing job in town. The owner of a '70 Chevelle, Jim's tastes ran toward Chevrolets and high-performance but, in 1994, he was looking to add another older car to the family fleet. Jim wanted something he could drive during the endless, sloppy Pennsylvania winters and the slushy roads that followed the plow and the salt. He wasn't particularly looking for an Oldsmobile, an A-body, a Cutlass, or an emissions-era machine—he wanted something cheap and reliable that would get him to work and back. But at the job site, he locked eyes on an immaculate 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme two-door—everything he wasn't looking for. It was all snug and protected in a covered garage, looking brand new, and the owner allowed as how it was for sale. "He was selling this car to buy a truck," Jim recalls, "and while this wasn't really what I was looking for, I wasn't about to pass it up."

In 1976, America's best-selling car was the Oldsmobile Cutlass. Just over half a million sold, and 56 percent of all Oldsmobiles for the year were some flavor of Cutlass. Within Oldsmobile's myriad midsize Cutlass body styles and trim levels (S! Salon! 442! Supreme Brougham!), one version stood above all others: the Cutlass Supreme two-door Colonnade hardtop coupe. The two-door Supreme, the model that's represented in this photo spread, sold more than 186,000 copies for the year—that's roughly 510 sold every day of 1976, making up 37 percent of all Cutlass production for the year. The Supreme coupe sold better than the next two versions (the new, upmarket Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe and the entry-level Cutlass S coupe), so this is the most-popular version of America's most-popular car that year.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
My father bough several news Oldsmobile Cutlass models in the 1970’s and the early 80’s. He also bought an Oldsmobile Tornonado that was one of his favorite cars. I recall one of the Cutlass models had front seats that swiveled 90 degrees. He always liked the Cutlass models and bought them with virtually all options.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
This even sold well in Beverly Hills, CA. One of the few bright spots in mid-late 70's American cars

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Olds always had Something over Pontiac and Chevy in the "A" Bodies. Buick was the Sleeper in that line/years.

My Dad's first Chevy was a 1978 Monte Carlo (which I later purchased after a short period with a 1975 Nova Crotch Back) My Sister and her Husband bought their first New Car the next year. a 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais. It was more equipped than Dad's Monte, (buckets, Floor Shifter, AC, 2 Tone) but those Body Color Rims always set the Cutlass Off.

A buddy at the time had a 76 Cutlass and it was a sweet Car, however the 1974-1976 GM Rust problems claimed it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One of the best from the 70's! But I am biased because I have a 77 in my garage. They are getting more attention lately probably because the price of muscle cars is out of reach for most.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
A 1977 Cutlass S coup, special edition, called the GOG for grand olds gang was my first new car. Special ordered, with 350 Rocket motor bucket seats, console, FE3 suspension, air conditioning, full gauges. Rally wheels, 1/2 final roof with stainless steal band across the top and dual chrome mirrors. Black paint, black vinyl roof, and black interior. Absolutely gorgeous car. Had to get rid of it when child #4 arrived. Had it 9 years, sold it and bought a 86 Celebrity wagon, also special ordered. Had 106 k miles on the cutlass, sold it for 25% of what I paid for it. The celebrity was eventually sold with 245k miles. Great cars.

Reactions: eklauss

·
Registered
265 Posts
My brother ordered a '73 Cutlass Supreme in midnight blue metallic, with light blue vinyl top, and light blue cloth interior. Some of the options were 350 four barrel, dual exhaust, cruise control, am/fm 8 track tape player, and body color 14x7 rally wheels. It was a beautiful car. He started out trying to buy a new Monte Carlo, but they weren't making any deals on them at that time, because they were hot sellers. The local Chevy dealer didn't even have any on the lot, but he said he drove a Cutlass as his demo, and he liked it better. So we took it for a test ride, and my brother was convinced. He ordered up a Cutlass Supreme, and got a good deal to boot. The new '73 models had a small rear bumper, and the front bumper stuck out further than before, but was still small. For '74 that all changed. A great long distance travel car. I got my 1st speeding ticket in it.

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
My grandfather traded in his white 1959 oldmobile with massive tail for a white two door 1973 cutless with a red interior and red roof. Only two cars my wonderful grandfather ever. bought

Thanks for the reminder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts