GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Motors Corp.'s luxury division has opened a new assembly plant and launched an unprecedented spate of new cars and trucks over the last three years.

In 2004, it must begin to repay the billions of dollars those projects cost, while launching another vital car and preparing its top-selling sedan for a chancy face-lift.

"This is a product-driven renaissance," said Cadillac general manager Mark LaNeve. "We made a big bet with a new design and that our engineers could deliver world-class vehicles. That's starting to pay off for us, but we fully realize we have a lot to do. We must execute the plan over time and with the next generation of vehicles."

Cadillac has seen sales rise from a perilously puny 170,379 in 1996 to 199,698 last year. The improvement was driven by the brand's move into new market segments ranging from the Escalade luxury SUV to the CTS sport sedan. Cadillac sales rose another 5.7 percentthrough September 2003, to 153,680, as sales of the new SRX crossover wagon and XLR roadster began.

The figure still is a far cry from Cadillac's record of 350,813 sales in 1978, but sales are headed in the right direction after years of decline caused by the fuel crises, downsizing, quality problems, competition from overseas and poor performance on the road

The new models mark a rebirth for the brand that touted itself as "the standard of the world" from the introduction of the first V16 car in the 1930s through the heyday of tail fin-bedecked cars in the '50s and '60s and well into the 1970s land-yacht era.

Cadillac faces a new challenge as it prepares to introduce the all-new STS high-performance luxury sedan in 2004 redesign its best-selling car, the more traditional DeVille, in 2005.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
48 Posts
From the article, talking about the next DeVille:

The baby boomers will be 55 to 65 years old then, and they'll be interested in a big sedan with a lot of features and a very innovative interior with the flexibility and room of an SUV," LaNeve said.

What do you suppose Mr. LaNeve is talking about? The Buick LaCrosse comes to mind . . . This could be very interesting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe it means that GM will finally give the DeVille some much needed passenger room. As it is today, it is barely bigger(internally) than a Buick LaSabre. The Deville would need 6in added to the interior width and 6in more of rear legroom before I would consider an upgrade.

LaSabre, Deville, Avalon

Exterior Dimensions
Wheelbase (in.) 112.2 115.3 107.1
Length (in.) 200.0 207.2 191.9
Height (in.) 57.0 56.7 57.1
Width (in.) 73.5 74.5 71.7
Track (front) 62.3 62.7 61.0
Track (rear) 62.3 62.2 60.0
Curb Weight (Auto Trans) (lbs.) 3567 3978 3417

Interior Dimensions
Head Room (front) (in.) 38.8 39.1 38.7
Head Room (rear) (in.) 37.8 38.4 37.9
Hiproom (front) (in.) 56.1 56.4 55.2
Hiproom (rear) (in.) 56.6 56.7 55.1
Leg Room (front) (in.) 42.4 42.4 41.7
Leg Room (rear) (in.) 39.9 43.2 40.1
Shoulder Room (front) (in.) 59.1 60.4 58.4
Shoulder Room (rear) (in.) 58.7 60.1 58.1
Cargo Volume (mfr.) (cu. ft.) 18.0 19.1 15.9

·
Registered
43,877 Posts
DeVille/D-Series Cadillacs should enter the market competing with the S-Series automobiles, assuming that Cadillac wants to compete in that market range.
I realize that the D-Series is Caddy's best seller, but it's geared towards an older generation. If they want to bring down the average age of their buyer, then the D-Series needs to move up-market.
If the low end D-Series starts at 60K (maybe DHS) then I think that will be quite an accomplishment. If DTS hits $68-72K, that would be fine. Then it really would be a viable competitor to the S-Class or the Lexus LS. THen Caddy can make a DTS-V to compete with the 745 and the S60. :D

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Cool article, what I was really interested in were the comments about the next gen Seville/STS being RWD and AWD, I think that that is awsome, I thought tha they were just going to go to RWD, which is cool enough, but AWD too!

The DeVille should stay in the line up as is, and stay in the same price bracket, though I'm pretty sure that many DeVille customers would not mind a move back to RWD and a larger car, I think that that would kill whatever few Town Car sales that there are, mix in a higher performance model, and a longer wheelbase model with higher level appointments, similar to the old DeVille/Fleetwood models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rest assured the DeVille stays in the current price range. They sell 60-70,000 of these profitable beasts a year. That's a kind of success you don't f* with.

It's going to be a whole separate model that takes on the S/7/A8/XJ crowd. And it's going to be a doozy, I wager.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Oct 24 2003, 07:37 PM
DeVille/D-Series Cadillacs should enter the market competing with the S-Series automobiles, assuming that Cadillac wants to compete in that market range.
I realize that the D-Series is Caddy's best seller, but it's geared towards an older generation.  If they want to bring down the average age of their buyer, then the D-Series needs to move up-market.
If the low end D-Series starts at 60K (maybe DHS) then I think that will be quite an accomplishment.  If DTS hits $68-72K, that would be fine.  Then it really would be a viable competitor to the S-Class or the Lexus LS.  THen Caddy can make a DTS-V to compete with the 745 and the S60.  :D
There will never be a DTS-V, especially if its FWD. The DeVille is an extremely comfortable and smooth vehicle, not a performance car.... although it's pretty peppy with the Northstar. And plus the new V-series cars are ment to be all around performance vehicles, than means good handling too, and you just can't turn a boat into a Vette!

·
Registered
43,877 Posts
All I'm trying to say is that D-Series can stay in its price range/age range market if it wants to. (Yes I do realize that they sell a whole bunch of 'em.) D-Series is Cadillacs true luxury model...built big and for comfort.

However, Cadillac can up the ante on the D-Series. DHS can stay somewhat in the price region of the current DeVilles. But I see more luxurious Park Avenue picking up some of the slack from De Ville. DHS should be competing with the likes of the lower end S-Class or the LS430. Then Cadillac can build DTS, which would compete with higher end S-Class, the 7-Series and the A8. Cadillac can even have DTS-L with a longer overall length. That's the beauty of GM's new global platforms, is it not??!? :blink:

I think this makes sense too, since the D-Series is still 2 years away. THis will give time for Cadillac to gain sales in C, E, S, and X series, which should more than make up for some potential lost sales in the D Series.

Of course... I could be totally wrong and Cadillac could be developing an entirely new line to compete with the S-Class. (Which doesn't make sense because GM wants to save money.) <_<

·
Registered
367 Posts
"When we first went to Germany, we were laughed at," said Ken Morris, program engineering manager, Cadillac performance series.
"We've gone from that to being fast enough that people pull over to move out of our way," when GM tests the 400-horsepower CTS-V on the Nurburgring, Morris said.

Now you're talking my type of Caddy!!! :D

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
The Fleetwood Brougham would be the right car to battle the S-series and 7-series... Now that's some seriously comfortable full-sized rear-wheel drive...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano@Dec 9 2003, 03:57 PM
The Fleetwood Brougham would be the right car to battle the S-series and 7-series... Now that's some seriously comfortable full-sized rear-wheel drive...
no offense, but I think the 7-series would laugh the Fleetwood off the stage...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle+Dec 10 2003, 07:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr_Pringle @ Dec 10 2003, 07:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Sal Collaziano@Dec 9 2003, 03:57 PM
no offense, but I think the 7-series would laugh the Fleetwood off the stage...[/b][/quote]
Right, because I'm sure that you can predict the future and tell that it's a failure? Especially since GM has never even thought of a "Fleetwood"? :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts