GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Executive editor Dean Baquet announced the decision Wednesday morning, telling staff in a memo that "the masthead and I concluded there is no longer an economic reason for a separate section" devoted to automobile coverage. The section, which runs on Sundays, will cease publication as of the first of the year.

The Times also is in the midst of cutting 100 positions from its newsroom through buyouts and, if necessary, layoffs. It was unclear from Baquet's memo whether Jim Cobb, who oversees the 20-year-old autos section, will remain with the paper.

[More at the link... http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/media/2014/10/8555594/emtimesem-kills-autos-section ]

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
That's a shame. It was one part of the weekend times I enjoyed reading.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
A few years ago the Chicago Tribune replaced it's "Transportation" section in the Sunday paper with something called "Rides". It has about one and a half pages on Cars, mostly written by syndicated writers from other papers. The rest is normally 8 1/2 pages of ads. The major auto writers are retired or have been let go.

The Chicago Sun Times stopped publishing anything intelligent about cars long before that.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That's sad. One of the negatives of technology. I used to love getting the Saturday paper to read the automotive section, and read the classifieds. The mystery of no pics, and actually having to pick up the phone and call someone was fun in hindsight.

Technology is killing off a lot of things I loved. Getting up early to hit the automotive swap meets. They're still around, but not like what it used to be. Same with the Auto Traders, I loved getting the Sports Car and Antique Trader every Tuesday. $1.50 would keep me busy all week.

Now we have ebay and Craigslist. :(

·
Registered
19,337 Posts
I think magazines and newspapers are going the way of the dodo bird. Local papers have some use as they tell you what's going on, roads beign paved, etc.. But printed big national papers and magazines don't offer much anymore. I used to get excited for the first of the month to get my new auto mags, but for the most part what I want to read has already been published on the internet. I continue to get them because they are so cheap. I get my national/world news for NBCnews.com and Fox.com - I think the NY Times, LA Times, etc have missed the internet boat and at some point will go out of business......

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I bet the people at MotorTrend and Car & Driver are pretty happy now. Local newspapers will need to get automotive articles from somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The Chicago Sun Times stopped publishing anything intelligent about cars long before that.
Has the Chicago Sun Times ever published something intelligent about anything? ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just in time for Cadillac to move to NYC...

The death of another liberal mouth piece.

In the footsteps of Air America (which hated America)

following PMSNBC down the toilet, watching the collapse of CNN

America wants real news not leftwing opinion veiled as news

We Report, You Decide....long live FOX News...lol

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

Serious or sarcastic...s'truth.

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
Well, The New York times is on its death bed. They need to find new ways to make money coz print is not working
They could try being a NEWSpaper instead of an agitprop piece for the uber left. Just a crazy suggestion!

Reactions: Jim Injun Ear

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Eh, I read it every so often and there would be about 3 articles followed by 10 pages of adds for metro area dealers. Granted it was one of the few places you could see Bentley dealer prices in print.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts