GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I think Mercedes in general is boring. That have the same BROING design for everything, and rarely ever change it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
:lol: lol. I love the simpsons episode where lisa's looking for a pencil holder and it's like "Ew no, I don't want a poopli, everyone makes fun of the poopli kids, I'd much rather have this one" XD

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
The Comment about the STS is absolutely ludicrous. STS isn't meant to compete with the S-Class line, it is meant to compete with the E-class. And by making something seem at Mid-Level on size dimensions alone is pretty dumb. "O yeah well our Suburban makes your Escape seem like a Compact SUV size-Wise" is pretty much what they are saying but in different context. Other than that the Exterior design, as Rex Said, is extremely out of date, even when it will come to market. I am sure the "ULS" will destroy this thing if it is supposed to look like the SIXTEEN.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Quote: The integration of the trunk is similar to the controversial 7 Series, with its freestanding trunk lid.

Now if we can get them to put the iDrive system in the new S-class, they can continue down the same path of bad ideas that BMW is.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I'm of the "Mercedes has lost its way" persuasion, but some of the gizmos discussed in the article actually sound really cool and truly useful. My favorite:

a traffic-jam program that allows the S-Class to creep forward of its own volition using the parking sensors to judge the distance to the car in front
Now that's a pretty freakin' cool idea.

Then there's this other idea that's not only eminently practical, but also represents an advance of automotive technology that competing luxury brands could only hope and pray that someday--SOMEDAY--they will be able to have something ALMOST AS COOL as this...

Also planned is night vision that uses an infrared camera to alert the driver of obstacles in the darkness
Please, Mercedes-Benz engineers, PLEASE share the secrets of this great technological breakthrough with all those other laggards you compete with!...

... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by monkeylizard@Jun 17 2004, 02:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think I see a bit of Buick styling in there.
ther'd have to be styling before there could be buick styling. this car redefines the term 'understated'. how very forgettable. doesn't really have the presence the BMW 8-series (didn't say it was attractive... said it has presence. big difference.) has... or any presence at all. to look at it you could tell me that's a model from 5 years ago and i'd believe you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Atleast MB recongizes Caddy as a threat, even though the STS doesn't compete with the S-Class :D Would he have mentioned a Caddy 5 years ago?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Jun 17 2004, 05:19 PM
Then there's this other idea that's not only eminently practical, but also represents an advance of automotive technology that competing luxury brands could only hope and pray that someday--SOMEDAY--they will be able to have something ALMOST AS COOL as this...

Also planned is night vision that uses an infrared camera to alert the driver of obstacles in the darkness
Please, Mercedes-Benz engineers, PLEASE share the secrets of this great technological breakthrough with all those other laggards you compete with!...

... :rolleyes:
Yup, GM will be playing catch-up again on this one! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 17 2004, 11:34 AM
Looks a little boring style wise.
Oh, no. It's going to have very dramatic front fenders with a wide arc of metal over the wheel. Think of the fenders of the new Mazda RX8. The computer generated pictures are way under-dramatized from some spy pics I've seen.

No, this S is not going to be boring.

The question is whether this one is going to look like a hundred grand sitting on the showroom floor next to some mid-$20's four banger secretary-mobile kind of car.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
If I were Mercedes, I be more worried about fixing my quality problems before I go around talking trash. They're looking a lot like GM in the 80's. Too arrogant to understand that people won't blindly continue to buy their products because of past, and not current, reputation.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by T-Type@Jun 18 2004, 02:26 AM
If I were Mercedes, I be more worried about fixing my quality problems before I go around talking trash. They're looking a lot like GM in the 80's. Too arrogant to understand that people won't blindly continue to buy their products because of past, and not current, reputation.
And this would be a great time for brands like Cadillac and Jaguar to strike. I can't wait until Cadillac pushes Mercedes down into fourth place in the luxury car segment.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Mercedes-Benz vehicles are boring. In fact, if they continue to make tons of vehicles that all look the same, they will run into problems. If they make the cheaper C-Class look a lot like the E-Class, why should you buy a more expensive E-Class when it costs so much more????
Making the STS and XJ mid-range vehicles shouldn't be the goal for Mercedes with their new S-Class. I was thinking: steal publicity from BMW's controversial design by making our own special controversial design....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts