1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The New Mercedes-Maybach S-Class Is Here
Carscoops
BY MICHAEL KARKAFIRIS | POSTED ONNOVEMBER 19, 2020

Mercedes has a new luxury king in its range in the form of the 2021 Maybach S-Class, an ultra-posh take on the already pretty loaded S-Class primarily designed for chauffeured driving.

The new Mercedes-Maybach S-Class features an 18 cm (7 inches) longer wheelbase, at 3396 mm (133.7 inches), offering an even more spacious environment for the rear passengers compared to its predecessor. There’s also an “active noise compensation” system that sends counter-phased audio signals to cancel road noise before it reaches the occupants’ ears.

Depending on the market, customers will get to choose between the Mercedes-Maybach S580 4Matic, which is powered by a twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 making 496 HP and has a 48-volt mild-hybrid system that provides an extra 21 HP, and the V12-powered S650, which will continue using the twin-turbo 6.0-liter unit with 621 HP, possibly combined with all-wheel-drive as well.

Selected markets will also receive in the future a plug-in hybrid version of the new Mercedes-Maybach S-Class, featuring a 3.0-liter straight-six petrol engine paired to an electric motor for a combined 503 HP.

Every new Maybach S-Class will come with twin Executive seats that feature a new massage function for your calves, and the Chauffeur package as standard. Rear passengers can even adjust the seat surface, backrest, and legrest to create a continuous and comfortable reclining surface for sleeping.
The new German limo rides on a specially developed air suspension with its own ‘Maybach’ mode, to make the journey even smoother than the regular S-Class. When turned on, the ‘Maybach’ mode tunes the accelerator pedal for a more gentle acceleration, starts off in second gear, and switches the 9-speed automatic into an even smoother operation. Active rear steering is also available to make the new Maybach S-Class more maneuverable and precise, turning the rear wheels up to 10 degrees.

The new Mercedes-Maybach S-Class also features a Level 3 driver assistance system, which will allow the driver to take his hands off the steering wheel in situations like heavy traffic or on selected motorways once the system becomes legal from the second half of 2021.

·
Premium Member
33,258 Posts
There is so much detail it almost looks cartoonish.
What is the difference between level 3 and level 2 self driving system?

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Not sure how Id feel about my paid driver (level 10 autonomy) using an Autopilot system...sounds like someone would be looking for a new job

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure how Id feel about my paid driver (level 10 autonomy) using an Autopilot system...sounds like someone would be looking for a new job
Then you would need at least level 4:D
Too bad Mercedes won't update v12 anymore.
But there is S73 in future

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Then you would need at least level 4:D
Too bad Mercedes won't update v12 anymore.
But there is S73 in future
Yeah, it's the chauffeur's equivalent to a Software Engineer surfing facebook on the clock

Shame about the lack of updates to the 12 but I guess at this point the take rate is so low that they just don't bother.

Re the S73...I'm pretty sure that is going to be a ttv8 with performance hybrid system. I don't think their doing performance 12s anymore.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah, it's the chauffeur's equivalent to a Software Engineer surfing facebook on the clock

Shame about the lack of updates to the 12 but I guess at this point the take rate is so low that they just don't bother.

Re the S73...I'm pretty sure that is going to be a ttv8 with performance hybrid system. I don't think their doing performance 12s anymore.
Yup. A 4.0 l V8 TT with electric motors.
But it won't be M179 LS2 from Mercedes GT Black Series:(. Maybe they could put v12 from Pagani:D. Or the one from Aston Martin.

·
Registered
16,934 Posts
I like the sleeker looks of this vs. the Bentley/RR competition with their somewhat cartoonish oversized proportions to help shout "I'm rich".

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
maybe get a Johnny Cab driver as replacement?

;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts