GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these numbers seem a bit underwhelming for a 5.0-liter V-10 with 507-hp? The 400-hp CTS seems to be more more than capable of matching this Teuton, and that's before the CTS-V Plus arrives... I suppose 1.3 g's seems impressive enough, but maybe I was expecting more.

Power Wars: BMW reaches new heights with next-generation M5

By GREG KABLE

When we gave you details on BMW’s new M5 due here next summer (Cover, April 26), we had to read between the lines to get the full picture. Now BMW has released the first official photos and more details.

At the new M5’s heart is a purpose-built 5.0-liter V10 delivering 507 hp. With individual throttle butterflies, BMW’s bi-Vanos variable valve timing, dual-flow stainless steel exhaust system and a stratospheric 8250-rpm redline, the BMW delivers its 507 hp at 7750 rpm and 383 lb-ft 6100 rpm. This is up 107 hp and 15 lb-ft on the outgoing model’s 4.9-liter V8 engine, making the new M5 is the most powerful road-going BMW ever.

The engine is mated to a third-generation version of BMW’s sequential manual gearbox (SMG), now boasting seven forward ratios and new electronics to speed shift times 20 percent. With 11 different shift programs, six in manual mode and five in automatic, the driver can tailor the gearbox’s action to suit the conditions. There’s even a launch control function.

M5

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow that is not at all what I would expect of an interior in such an otherwise awesome car.

It's awesome to know that like the 60's we still have horsepower wars. Fortunately for us, these days also involve handling, braking and ride quality.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Would that make it the fastest production vehicle??? Last time I checked the fastest was the Diablo and it made 202 mph...
Anyway, in the MotorTrend magazine, I saw a picture of it last year, and was amazed. I don't like the 5er, but 500 hp! 205 mph! Come on, I would take this car for free anyday.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Does anyone else find it kinda pathetic that all it makes is 383ft-lbs at 6100 rpm?? Only 15 more than the last V8?

5,934 Posts
hey 'gmwsag' - if you wanna see Detroit do well, you should support Bushie. Kerry will force us all to drive hybrids and give all kinds of help to the Japanese auto manufacture's and attempt to regulate Detroit out of existence.

For all the retoric, Bush is more Pro-Detroit than Kerry is.

Why are you supporting Kerry, er Nader?

<_<

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
205 mph. Who cares. 105 mph. Who cares. Unless you go to the track often owning a car like this would be frustrating. You cannot use it's potential on any road in the USA. I care about 0-60, the faster the better. Anything over 80 is meaningless.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Jul 6 2004, 04:03 PM
hey 'gmwsag' - if you wanna see Detroit do well, you should support Bushie. Kerry will force us all to drive hybrids and give all kinds of help to the Japanese auto manufacture's and attempt to regulate Detroit out of existence.

<_<
Amen to that brother......

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Jul 6 2004, 03:15 PM
Would that make it the fastest production vehicle??? Last time I checked the fastest was the Diablo and it made 202 mph...
Anyway, in the MotorTrend magazine, I saw a picture of it last year, and was amazed. I don't like the 5er, but 500 hp! 205 mph! Come on, I would take this car for free anyday.
The fastest production vehicle is the McLaren F1, powered by a BMW sourced V12. I think it topped out at like 245 or so. The Ferrari Enzo tops out at 217 and will out handle the McLaren F1 any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
this v10 engine is a f-1 derived marvel. altough I personally prefer more cubic inches and at least a s/c (for the ability to offer more torque overall and at lower rpm), there is no denying, the new m5 is on the top of the world now. wait and see the amg reply to this...

altough I have no ideea if caddy really needs to slay this with a cts-v plus, but it will be NICE if this will happen ultimately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Jul 6 2004, 11:03 AM

Probably for the same reason I am. I don't want any more of my personal freedoms encroached upon by Bush and the idiots he has placed in power. Have you taken a good look at PATRIOT and PATRIOT II?

But I digress...

Now we see the reason for the new 7 speed tranny. This motor is seriously lacking in low rpm oomph. 385 lb-ft is pretty good standing all by itself. Heck it's more than my LT1 Caprice makes. Too bad it makes it almost 4000rpm higher!! Looked at it from that angle you can see that the car isn't going to be a real demon out of the hole without a lot of revs. It's also going to need to downshift a few gears when cruising on the highway to get things moving. And don't forget that BMW keeps track of how many times you use the fancy performance launch system. Use it too many times and they void your powertrain warranty.

Still the specs are nice and the car should be fun to drive. It's still a shame what they did to the looks of it. Every time I see a new 5-series, I think I am looking at a Lexus IS.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Jul 6 2004, 09:02 AM
Does anyone else find it kinda pathetic that all it makes is 383ft-lbs at 6100 rpm?? Only 15 more than the last V8?
Doe anyone else find it pathetic that you have to nitpick about stupid **** like this?

What, are you gonna pull a trailer with the damn thing?

Who cares where it peaks... what matters is the power curve, and theres no dyno sheet to look at so no one can really say anything.

Torque is not everything folks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
you guys should realize that this powerplant has almost the same performance as... the ferrari f50!
true, it's 9 years old, but the m5 isn't built in (very) limited numbers, and dosen't cost half a million either!
4.7 litre
513 hp/8500 rpm
347 ft lbs/6500 rpm...

please continue and compare this with all kinds of roadmasters, replys you can read only on a gm site-hehe-

all those aside, anyone imagine what this drivetrain can do in a factory five cobra kit??

my only problem with the m5 isn't different of anyone else's: the car looks terrible, I would take the old one any day. plus, for sure it isn't cheap... but the drivetrain... well, that's another story!

·
Premium Member
33,527 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Jul 6 2004, 04:07 PM
205 mph. Who cares. 105 mph. Who cares. Unless you go to the track often owning a car like this would be frustrating. You cannot use it's potential on any road in the USA. I care about 0-60, the faster the better. Anything over 80 is meaningless.
STS V goes on the Auto show Circuit in January 2005 I believe….we will see if GM goes for the kill with the STS V, to claim the hill from Deutschland once and for all…They might have to bore the 4.7 Liter to something like 5.0 and attach two turbos to get the #’s out of that motor…. They will also need to use the Vette’s Six speed and kill any auto tranny to get street creds, the wheel hop in CTS V has not done much to to give them creds, since no one has been able to duplicate the 4.6 0-60 # they claim…. Guys like motor trend ended up comparing them to the Jaguar Type S/R instead of the big boys E55 AMG, an M5.

Instead of building the rumored Ford GT slayer with a 700 HP Corvette Blue Devil, Cadillac should just build the Cien….. They have the basic frame and mid engine design in place, a working V12 power plant, what is GM waiting for?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

My signature said that I would take Anybody BUT Bush....including Nader...
I am supporting Kerry....and I do want to see Detroit do well......so what if Kerry forces us all to drive hybrids?? Then GM and Ford and Chrysler will start to make hybrids along with everyone else.....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
What was that about Bush taking away personal freedoms? Forcing us to drive a certain thing is a pretty big hit to personal freedom.

I have read the entire patriot act, it was very boring but I had to write a paper on it. Most of the questionable things that people talk about only apply to non US citizens inside the united states. Whats the big deal?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Jul 6 2004, 09:17 PM
Forcing us to drive a certain thing is a pretty big hit to personal freedom.
what's this about? guess i could go search, but since some of you obviously know something about this, i'll ask here. does kerry propose some sort of hybrid-vehicle commandment? gas prohibition? is this an exageration of perhaps a suggestion for more hybrids, or has he actually proposed an all-hybrid nation?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Jul 6 2004, 09:38 PM
Can we please keep this on the subject of the new M5
oops... got sidetracked! M5 sounds A-okay to me. i wonder if john kerry would think so. would he like every american drivng the M5, or would he rather see everyone in a hybrid? any thoughts?

:lol:

sorry man! my bad! hahaha! maybe in another thread someone can answer my question. gigastormer is right... this thread is about the M5. go M5!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts