·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Names Of Cadillac's Electric Cars Have Been Found
By: MARTIN BIGG
July 28, 2020
Carbuzz.com

As discovered by Motor Trend, Cadillac has submitted trademark filings for the "Optiq" and "Symboliq" names, as well as "Cadillac Optiq" "Cadillac Symboliq" with the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property. Both names were registered on July 22 as "motorized land vehicles, namely automobiles." Potentially, these could be the names of two more Cadillac electric vehicles since they also follow the new "iq" EV naming structure.

Would you like to know more?

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I have a feeling I wouldn't like the person who came up with these names.

If they're great vehicles (and not cars) they'll sell. But the names? Bleah. Or "ick."

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
Assuming GM isn't just testing the names for public reaction, I see this going two ways. The desirable outcome is these are fantastic, take no prisoner vehicles, if so then the names wont matter and dislike of the names will fade into the background. The undesirable is these are mediocre product and every review devotes a quarter of the article discussing how stupid the name is (after spending two paragraphs on the Cimmaron).

GM should name that $200k vehicle Cimmaron. I'm assuming at that price the vehicle will be crazy good, what better way to stop the Cimmaron bashing than by putting the name on a mac-daddy vehicle. Which of course will never happen....

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Assuming GM isn't just testing the names for public reaction, I see this going two ways. The desirable outcome is these are fantastic, take no prisoner vehicles, if so then the names wont matter and dislike of the names will fade into the background. The undesirable is these are mediocre product and every review devotes a quarter of the article discussing how stupid the name is (after spending two paragraphs on the Cimmaron).

GM should name that $200k vehicle Cimmaron. I'm assuming at that price the vehicle will be crazy good, what better way to stop the Cimmaron bashing than by putting the name on a mac-daddy vehicle. Which of course will never happen....
I like that idea. Kind of a shove it back in their face thing with "Cimarron." "Cimarron" actually is a pretty good name, not that they'd ever dare use it. Better than "CT4." Or "whatever-iq."

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
I like that idea. Kind of a shove it back in their face thing with "Cimarron." "Cimarron" actually is a pretty good name, not that they'd ever dare use it. Better than "CT4." Or "whatever-iq."
Funny you said that, I kind of like Cimmaron as well. It fits in with Cadillac's historical names, but for some reason doesn't have that "old man car" baggage that most of the other names have for me. Though I still prefer "Ciel" and some of those other fresh sounding names that Cadillac's show cars of the past decade had.

·
Premium Member
35,454 Posts

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Funny you said that, I kind of like Cimmaron as well. It fits in with Cadillac's historical names, but for some reason doesn't have that "old man car" baggage that most of the other names have for me. Though I still prefer "Ciel" and some of those other fresh sounding names that Cadillac's show cars of the past decade had.
I actually do think "Cimarron" is a great name. They'll never dare use it because of the past association. And while it doesn't seem to have a real definition, there is this when I searched for it, which is pretty cool: "In all likelihood, the name of this group is derived from the Spanish word cimarrón, meaning "wild" or "untamed".

I've also always been fond of "Allante."

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
I actually do think "Cimarron" is a great name. They'll never dare use it because of the past association. And while it doesn't seem to have a real definition, there is this when I searched for it, which is pretty cool: "In all likelihood, the name of this group is derived from the Spanish word cimarrón, meaning "wild" or "untamed".

I've also always been fond of "Allante."
Yes! Allante is another name I like and I don't feel is tarnished. The Allante, while it had its issues, was a nice looking car and didn't look like an old man's car (at least to me it didn't).

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,466 Posts
If they do well and start to make major inroads in the market the names will be a secondary thing most likely, even though on the forums they're getting panned.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Where's Magnifiq???
Isn't Cadillac like French or something?
Try harder!

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Yes! Allante is another name I like and I don't feel is tarnished. The Allante, while it had its issues, was a nice looking car and didn't look like an old man's car (at least to me it didn't).
"Allante" sounds elegant, classy. I agree, I don't think it's tarnished. Despite its flaws, the Allante actually got a lot of positive reviews at the time. I still remember a 1987 cover of Popular Mechanics: "Classic Elegance Reborn" was the story. And in a USA Today review, it actually won a comparison against the Lexus SC and the Mercedes SL, though the Mercedes at that point was very due for an overhaul.

·
Premium Member
35,454 Posts
I wonder if GM's "PR Department" comes up with these names. GM would do far better to farm out this name-game task to Chrysler, who almost always comes up with excellent names.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
How about asstastiq?

Or they do "Boombastiq", dig up "Shaggy"'s corpse and have him star in an ad campaign with a rewrite "They call it Caddy Boombastiq, very fantastiq........"

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Or they do "Boombastiq", dig up "Shaggy"'s corpse and have him star in an ad campaign with a rewrite "They call it Caddy Boombastiq, very fantastiq........"
Or dig up Rodney Dangerfield as a pitchman for the Caddy Shaq.
Got another guy in mind, too.

Reactions: BlackGTP
1 - 20 of 36 Posts