·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most popular new vehicle in each state? Not what you might expect
By Justin Hyde
2/20/2015
Motoramic

Sales races in the auto industry tend not to matter much beyond the desks of those who might get a free golf vacation for winning one. With nearly 300 new models of cars and trucks on the market, there's always a close competition somewhere. But rarely, if ever, do we get some geographic insight into what people are buying state by state. Do Texans really differ in their preferences that much from Colorado, or New Yorkers from New Jersey? The answer turns out to be yes.

We asked IHS Automotive to share their count of the most popular vehicles of 2014 broken down by state. IHS Automotive's tracking differs from what automakers report in two important ways; it counts what new vehicles are registered in each state, rather than just national totals as sold by dealers, and it can separate vehicles registered by businesses from those registered to individuals. This list excludes those vehicles sold to large fleet buyers, like rental-car agencies and governments — leaving only those sold and used by individual retail customers.

article continues at link, including interactive map: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motor...ate--not-what-you-might-expect-181118005.html

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sadly I see in typical Yahoo! fashion the interactive map doesn't work. Though this thread may not work for long as I see in true GMI fashion half the main page doesn't work.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting, even though the map wont work (at least for me on both Chrome and IE) we can still see what is popular by state. Toyota must me a little concerned that they dominate the retirement state area..... Though the article noted that in most states the top 5 vehicles are dominated by foreign makes, so maybe Toyota need not be that worried.....

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Well, among other things, this automatically penalizes the multi brand OEMs - none more so than GM.

You just have to wonder what an additional map say counting Silverado and Sierra together would look like.

And Equinox and Terrain.

Reactions: Ed Arcuri

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
It is really off.

Either see one post or a ' reply to thread screen ' or - "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Reactions: KingElvis

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,473 Posts
I'd also like to see this overlaid with political affiliations (not to make this a political thread), I bet that has a bigger correlation than college football.
Interesting assumption that I tend to agree with. That, along with the overall mindset or demograghics of the people has a lot to do with this map. Just as an example the Honda and Subaru showings. One thing I am glad to see is the holdings for the "big three" in the heartland, even if Ford dominates in area covered.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Can someone just arrange an enmasse transfer to FordInsideNews or somewhere else ?

Reactions: mikmak and megeebee

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
By and large, the "most popular" choices throughout the USA are also smart choices. Especially the best-in-class Accord, Silverado/Sierra, Forester, and Outback.

Reactions: Ed Arcuri

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Happy to live in a Chevy state! Who knew that there was/is a GMC state, pretty interesting.
Does not surprise me that the GMC Sierra is the best seller in a U.S. State as it is GM's most popular truck in Canada.

The GMC brand has enormous potential for sales gains that GM's management is not going after and leaving Billions in Sales Revenue to competitors.

How about the number of States the Subaru is the best seller?

Where is the Insignia/Regal Cross Country to counter the Subaru Outback?

What about a Astra GTC and 5-Door to counter the Impreza/WRX?

Where is the Astra Sports Tourer and Cross Country to counter the XV Crosstrek?

The Envsion has a chance to take some Forester sales if it is properly positioned for higher sales volume/profits.

Buick is the perfect GM brand to go after Subaru since it can match Subaru's sales volume (with the right lineup AND PRICING) as well as Subaru's profits which are strong.

Market segments that Buick/GMC can be strong competitors or even dominate have been hot for some time and GM has never figured out you cannot compete in these segments with a "volume brand" since the first thing these buyers want to be seen as is "different".

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Can someone just arrange an enmasse transfer to FordInsideNews or somewhere else ?

Let's start our own!

Ever since AutoGuide took over this site is a MESS!

Two weeks of my posts have disappeared. The "Thanks" count has re-set AGAIN.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Doesn't surprise me that NJ is Honda Accordville, although after a drive this morning I think it's going to be new Camryville. People here just assume Honda and Toyota are the best and they buy them in droves even though they are butt ugly (new Camry, not the Accord). We have a ton of Ford and Chevy pickups though - and a decent share of GMC Sierras. I'm sure the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave are close too, which gives me some hope for this state.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts