Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last Pontiac Fiero sold for $90,000 at auction
With just 582 miles, he interior was still wrapped in pre-delivery plastic
BEN HSU
Dec 3rd 2020
autoblog.com

On August 16, 1988 the last Pontiac Fiero, a red GT model, rolled off the assembly line at GM's Pontiac Assembly plant located in Pontiac, Michigan. It wasn't just the final Fiero, but the final car to be built at that site. The car was raffled off to one of 1,400 plant employees that would soon have to find jobs elsewhere.

Whoever that employee was, they remained faithful to the Fiero and kept it in mint condition for 32 years. Last month, it was finally time to move on. It crossed the block at GAA Auctions in Greensboro, North Carolina where it sold for an astounding $90,000. According to the auction house, that's a new world record.

The price no doubt reflected the car's place in history as the last example of GM's 1980s mid-engined sports car. However, it was also showroom-new, with just 582 miles clocked on its 2.8-liter V6. 1988 models were also fitted with an upgraded, Lotus-esque suspension produced for just that one year.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of, and credited to, autoblog.com

·
Super Moderator
4,246 Posts
I know it's oft-used cliche for GM products, but it holds true for the Fiero: By the time GM got it right, the car's reputation was so bad, they couldn't give them away, so GM killed it. It's a shame, too, because with the '88 suspension redesign completely transformed the Fiero from a GM parts-bin special to real sports car, 2.8 engine aside. I've had 4 different Fieros over the past quarter-century, everything from a stock '88 GT to an '84 with an Archie V8 conversion, and by far, the best driver was the '88.

Nice to see the Fiero getting some love all these years later, but at the same time, a shame that even beater-quality cars are starting to get expensive.

·
Registered
16,587 Posts
I know it's oft-used cliche for GM products, but it holds true for the Fiero: By the time GM got it right, the car's reputation was so bad, they couldn't give them away, so GM killed it. It's a shame, too, because with the '88 suspension redesign completely transformed the Fiero from a GM parts-bin special to real sports car, 2.8 engine aside. I've had 4 different Fieros over the past quarter-century, everything from a stock '88 GT to an '84 with an Archie V8 conversion, and by far, the best driver was the '88.

Nice to see the Fiero getting some love all these years later, but at the same time, a shame that even beater-quality cars are starting to get expensive.
And they really nailed the looks by the end. As pictured above I'd say the Fiero was one of the best looking cars from that era.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Gregg Botts's wife is going to be pissed

·
Registered
290 Posts
The proposed '89 Fiero was a design tour de fource - kind of a a 91 Trans Am before it was cool.

WE are getting the typical GM amnesia here wrt to Fiero sales, which I think were like 100,000+ the first year- that would be considered a home run for such a niche car.

It was kind of a 'banshee' that Delorean wanted to make in the 60's. For what it was trying to be, it was a success - a cool economy commuter car. It was amazing that it did as well as it did, and it seems as it got more supercar-ish it got less popular and lost it's low price appeal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The proposed '89 Fiero was a design tour de fource - kind of a a 91 Trans Am before it was cool.
The redesigned Fiero (which was actually supposed to be the '90 design) was so good, that the design was borrowed and retrofitted to the Gen 4 F-bodies. Compare them side-by-side and the similarity is obvious.

But yeah... Typical GM. Get it right and then kill it. It's how they do... most everything.
(You may have surmised, I am a huge Fiero lover. No apologies. Realistically, I just wish Pontiac would come back. The Fiero would just be the cherry on top.)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,413 Posts
The redesigned Fiero (which was actually supposed to be the '90 design) was so good, that the design was borrowed and retrofitted to the Gen 4 F-bodies. Compare them side-by-side and the similarity is obvious.

But yeah... Typical GM. Get it right and then kill it. It's how they do... most everything.
(You may have surmised, I am a huge Fiero lover. No apologies. Realistically, I just wish Pontiac would come back. The Fiero would just be the cherry on top.
.)
WOW. Welcome back to the fold. I have to agree that GM is good at that. Finally get it right then turn around and kill something off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
WOW. Welcome back to the fold.
Not really sure that I understand. I still love GM, and check in every few days, if I can.
But... [rant mode "on"] GM has distanced themselves so far from the enthusiast market that they very seldom have anything of interest to me, any more. My last three GM cars are my two Fieros, and a 2010 G6 GT (which is a very good car, by the way.) I had a 2005 Silverado which got traded for a 2019 Ram, because I hated the 2019 Silverado redesign. (So did the enthusiast press, BTW.) I wouldn't have traded at all, except that I needed 4WD.

But GM has decided that they need to cater to the Chinese, the tree huggers, and the soccer moms. If that's what will keep them in the black, then more power to them. If I want something that will get out of its own way, I'll be looking at my nearest CDJR dealer. (I don't like the Camaro, and the SS is done. The Mustang would be an option, except for that whole "Ford" thing. :D So there you go.) I absolutely love my Ram 1500, and I still miss my '09 Challenger R/T, even with its shortcomings.

And yes... it still really chaps my azz when I run across that insipid "April Fool" header about Pontiac's return. Just delete the effing thing already. It's insulting to those of us who love what GM used to be.
Peace.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,413 Posts
Not really sure that I understand. I still love GM, and check in every few days, if I can.
But... [rant mode "on"] GM has distanced themselves so far from the enthusiast market that they very seldom have anything of interest to me, any more. My last three GM cars are my two Fieros, and a 2010 G6 GT (which is a very good car, by the way.) I had a 2005 Silverado which got traded for a 2019 Ram, because I hated the 2019 Silverado redesign. (So did the enthusiast press, BTW.) I wouldn't have traded at all, except that I needed 4WD.

But GM has decided that they need to cater to the Chinese, the tree huggers, and the soccer moms. If that's what will keep them in the black, then more power to them. If I want something that will get out of its own way, I'll be looking at my nearest CDJR dealer. (I don't like the Camaro, and the SS is done. The Mustang would be an option, except for that whole "Ford" thing. :D So there you go.) I absolutely love my Ram 1500, and I still miss my '09 Challenger R/T, even with its shortcomings.

And yes... it still really chaps my azz when I run across that insipid "April Fool" header about Pontiac's return. Just delete the effing thing already. It's insulting to those of us who love what GM used to be.
Peace.
Yeah. I love GM too and sometimes though this site has nothing worth responding too also.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
That's almost as crazy as some goof paying over $12K for a Merkur Scorpio!! :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts