GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Doody all, Just came up with this question the other day and figured I might ask you all. I started to do research, but got distracted by other stuff.
So when did the Pontiac split-grille start? Your knowledge or thoughts? :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well, having a grill split in two has been a part of Pontiac's line since the beginning, as it has been for most automobiles through history. But if you are talking about a twin grill seperated by a distinct decoration or nose sheet metal then I guess the 1939 model year would be the point of origin.

The subsequent 1940 Pontiac Six and Eight followed this trend, which continued pretty much until today. Although from 1950 - 1960 it was almost a non-existant styling feature.

And for added drool factor, here's a slick 1940 coupe.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The 1959 Pontiacs brought back the spit grille, but then it was gone again for 1960 and back again for 1961, weird huh? Since then ther has been a variation of some sort of split grille, or "twin port" as some would reffer to it on pretty much every Pontiac. Sometimes it has been divided by a body color and sometimes by chrome.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@May 19 2004, 12:43 PM
The 1959 Pontiacs brought back the spit grille, but then it was gone again for 1960 and back again for 1961, weird huh? Since then ther has been a variation of some sort of split grille, or "twin port" as some would reffer to it on pretty much every Pontiac. Sometimes it has been divided by a body color and sometimes by chrome.
You're right. I did sort of glance over the '59 Bonnies that had the grill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.