GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll tell you guys something, getting info on the 6th generation Camaro has been tough. GM has been so tight on this, that their shoes squeak when they walk. But over the past few months I've been able to piece together a few tidbits.

It looks like the Z/28 will return in 6th gen guise. That's the good news. The news that maybe I'm not so thrilled about is that it appears that the Z/28 will take a page out of the C7 Z06 playbook. That being, supercharged V8, wide body, lots of aero doo-dads.

I was really hoping for a purer representation of the Z/28 paradigm.

Is this what we REALLY want the Z/28 to be? Didn't we already go through this with the 5th gen Z28 -------> ZL1?

If you have an opinion on this....speak now!

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I know the LS7 is dead, but 396 has a ring to it. A stroked LT1 with CNC ported heads and more cam duration would be nice. I think that engine could easily replace a 505hp LS7. The head and cam package for the LS3 was already at 456hp. Add more displacement and DI for higher compression and there's your engine to respond to the 6.4L Hemi.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I want the 6th gen z28 to be the best performing car in it's category, specifically on the track.... If forced induction is what helps it get there, then that's the way it should be.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Unfortunately, the lack of a high rpm naturally aspirated LT7 really hurts when it comes to a road race version of both the Corvette and the Camaro. That is what made the LS7 in the current Z/28 and the Z06 Corvette so special. If you are not a road racer, you might not see or get it. This is where Ford has a massive advantage with their smaller displacement DOHC V8 which has allowed them to go with the super trick flat plane crank. This engine in the new GT350 will be a lot like the LS7 was. Fast revving, huge rpm band to work with, razer sharp throttle response.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Take the LT1, delete AFM, re-cam it, re-tune the ECM, throw in something fancy like titanium exhaust and voila...
This would be a perfect set up for the 6th gen 1le, but i don't think it would be enough in the z28 considering what the gt350 is bringing to the table.... increase the displacement of the lt1 along with what you have listed and then we're onto something

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I'll tell you guys something, getting info on the 6th generation Camaro has been tough. GM has been so tight on this, that their shoes squeak when they walk. But over the past few months I've been able to piece together a few tidbits.

It looks like the Z/28 will return in 6th gen guise. That's the good news. The news that maybe I'm not so thrilled about is that it appears that the Z/28 will take a page out of the C7 Z06 playbook. That being, supercharged V8, wide body, lots of aero doo-dads.

I was really hoping for a purer representation of the Z/28 paradigm.

Is this what we REALLY want the Z/28 to be? Didn't we already go through this with the 5th gen Z28 -------> ZL1?

If you have an opinion on this....speak now!
Z/28 should be the most track ready. ZL1 should be the most explosive/Weapons grade. A supercharged V8 is fine if it's higher revving. Maybe a 5.7L SC V8 may be a good middle ground. Z/28 should have active aero and tons of carbon fiber.

A Z/28 could also be AWD (emphasis on could)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Pretty sure GM said it can't be done because of emissions.
I saw that same quote - not sure if they meant CO2 (fuel economy) or everything else. If it's NOx, particulates, etc., I'd think the independent VVT from Mechadyne would help with combustion control. If it's fuel economy related, just limit the output to 2000 engines per year. I'm actually surprised at the C7 Z06's fuel economy, I figured they would slightly better the C6 Z06 with all the efficiency tech in it.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
My guess is that the new Shamaro was a disaster and it is being reworked. After seeing that Ford brought styling back to the Mustang with gorgeous fenders and amazing detailing, the new Shamaro would have looked like a pinewood derby car BEFORE being carved.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.