GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw my first G8 today, in Red. It looks far better in person.

It takes off from the light and I hear nothing :(. Granted it didn't take off hard but I still should have hear something. My OLDS without my added Twin exhaust extension, with 3 chambers the next larger than the last which makes a nice dual exhaust note:D, makes more noise than the G8 I saw and didn't hear today:(.

What did GM DO TO THE EXHAUST?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plenty of exhaust shops out there that would cater for your desires.
I think they will be seeing alot of G8s. If my Camaro's exhaust isn't to my liking, One of them will be getting my business.

If the Camaro's Exhaust is like Concept's, :D:D:D.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Whats the attraction with noise. isn't there enough of it about without contributing unnecessary extra too it? I remember watching a falcon GT at the Geelong street drag a few years ago and it was so quiet -i was impressed but a lot weren't. I think if we have the technology to shut it up then do it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I agree that you dont need sound to back up the performance, but a nice burble from the exhaust would be nice. I havent seen or heard one yet, but Im sure it has at least a nice sound from outside the car. Maybe the G8 is just that sound proof?

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
I saw my first G8 today, in Red. It looks far better in person.

It takes off from the light and I hear nothing :(. Granted it didn't take off hard but I still should have hear something. My OLDS without my added Twin exhaust extension, with 3 chambers the next larger than the last which makes a nice dual exhaust note:D, makes more noise than the G8 I saw and didn't hear today:(.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you felt compelled to put a custom exhaust on a 1992 Cutlass, I am not sure I would trust your judgment on whether the G8 has the right exhaust pitch.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you felt compelled to put a custom exhaust on a 1992 Cutlass, I am not sure I would trust your judgment on whether the G8 has the right exhaust pitch.
Agreed. No offense, but yeah, there are noise regulations and such to meet with stock vehicles, and it's never a bad thing to error on the side of too quiet...because enthusiast's aside, the number of "regular people" who buy ALL cars often prefer not to hear the noise.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
With the windows down you should always hear the V8. Then under normal driving conditions with the windows up you don't hear the constant sound of the engine when cruising. I want to hear a little burbling at idle and a nice roar when I get on it but when just cruising around the constant loud V8 gets tiresome.

My SS Monte (5.3) is just about perfect and I would expect the G8GT to be about the same if not a little deeper since the engine is bigger (perfect). The constant loud V8 is for the 20 something F-body guys. The G8 is too refined to be like that at all times.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
My SS Monte (5.3) is just about perfect and I would expect the G8GT to be about the same if not a little deeper since the engine is bigger (perfect).
The G8 is quieter, especially at idle. Under hard acceleration, I found the G8 GT to actually have a little higher pitch than the last LS4 I remember (from a Grand Prix GXP). It's still recognizeable as a GM small-block, but lean and relatively refined.

I wasn't disappointed, but I hear where you guys are coming from. I was always disappointed with the LS2's sound, regardless of the application.

Ghrank

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Outrageously loud is annoying but a nice, low rumble would be great. I mean, with a big V8 shouldn't it be a little bit "rumbley?"

That said, I haven't heard one idle or take off yet so I can't really talk. Either way there's plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems that you can install to make it sound exactly to (or as close as possible to) your liking.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wouldn't call it a Custom Exhaust. Its an Exhaust Extension or a very Long Exhaust Tip. Exhaust Tip doesn't fit it.

Agreed. No offense, but yeah, there are noise regulations and such to meet with stock vehicles, and it's never a bad thing to error on the side of too quiet...because enthusiast's aside, the number of "regular people" who buy ALL cars often prefer not to hear the noise.
I understand that, However I'm talking about a G8 that was Slient, No Sound Period. I can't stand 4 bangers that sound like a Lawn Mower or a pissed off bumble bee.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

You should know it, but those GM 60 degree V6's always had a pretty nice V8-like exhaust note

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.