GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
9,965 Posts
This author is clueless.

He loses all credibility immediately on the "reverse beeping" of the Toyota Celica (and some others). The beeping on a Toyota in reverse can only be heard INSIDE the car. The reason it beeps is to alert the driver that he is in reverse, and not in first gear, since both shift positions are close to each other. This doesn't happen it automatic Toyotas, and only happens on models with a 6 speed.

As for his other gripes, they're pointless.

DRL's aren't a cry for attention, they are a safety feature, and here in Canada, they are mandatory on ALL models. Some cars (Chrysler minivans, Vette) use the parking lights instead of the headlights. Same effect.

Radar-Guided Park Assist: Hey, I'd rather the old lady in the Town Car doesn't back into me while parking. And insurance rates only go up the more people make needless claims. Warning systems come in handy. Sure, most drivers can live without them, but those that can't, it's a great idea.

How is idiot proofing a bad thing? It's easier to idiot-proof than to get rid of the idiots.

"Belt Minder": What's wrong with a seatbelt minder? I think all people should buckle up. Why would you want to rish death/serious injury? If you need a friendly reminder, it could save your life. If you automatically put on your belt by habit, the minder doesn't come on, and wouldn't bother you.

One-touch power windows: ? C'mon. Self torture? I hardly think so. If you can't figure out how to stop the window from going the whole way down, then maybe you don't have the hand-eye coordination to be driving in the first place, or writing a "news" article.

Eric Peters the author of the most useless artice of the year certainly needs a better editor that doesn't greenlight these puff pieces. Go review a car or something. Must be a REALLY slow news day.

· Premium Member
9,965 Posts
I wrote to the author directly to tell him how fluffy and useless his article was. Let's see if he responds.

I also like automatic on/off headlights.

There's nothing worse than returning to your car after a long day somewhere only to discover your battery dead due to you leaving the lights on by accident.

Actually there is one worse thing: driving at night with some guy with no headlights either behind or in front of you.

I don't understand how you can forget to turn your lights on at night. Isn't your whole dashboard dark?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.