GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can the Chevrolet Beat drum up sales for GM?
Colin Ryan
Los Angeles Times - Up to Speed Car Blog

Comment: "If the quality level of the Beat is where it should be then I suspect that this micro rocket will be a major hit, certainly it would be in the running as a replacement transporter for my family when we pick up a new set of wheels next year."
Here’s a morbidly interesting fact: General Motors’ stock price has hit its lowest point since the Eisenhower administration. Looks like the company needs something big to help it recover.

Or perhaps something small could be a better idea.

For Europe and Asia, GM makes little fuel-sipping cars. The newest of these will be the Chevrolet Beat. This was a concept car last year that garnered an enthusiastic response, so it's going into production. And since American gasoline bills have become instruments of torture, the Beat is now slated to go on sale here.

So, can the front-drive, two-door, Beat budget hatchback help GM get its groove back? With a turbocharged 1.2-liter engine, it should have enough push to keep up with urban traffic. And when it’s off boost, consumption figures will provide some relief to anyone with a pulse and a job to get to. Word has it that GM will also fit a navigation system and a premium audio setup along with an automatic transmission.

Whether the Beat will get customers to, um, beat a path (that overgrown, weed-strewn path) to the Chevy showroom still remains to be seen.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospeed/2008/07/can-the-chevrol.html

No brainer of the day! GM to bring Chevy Beat to US market
Sam Abuelsamid
Autoblog Green

In perhaps the most obvious move of the decade, MarketWatch is reporting that GM will in fact bring the upcoming Chevy Beat to the U.S. market. The Beat was one of a trio of mini-car concepts that appeared at the New York Auto Show in 2007.

GM announced last November in Los Angeles that the Beat would be produced but refused to commit to bringing it to the US market. What GM has said is that all new models from anywhere in the corporation are being engineered using a global development process to meet all regulatory requirements around the world.

At its debut, the Beat was listed as having a 1.2L turbocharged engine. If GM does indeed bring it here it could be powered by an upcoming turbocharged direct injected three cylinder set to be produced at the Flint engine plant. GM desperately needs a car like this to compete in a $4/gallon market and meet new CAFE requirements.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/07/03/no-brainer-of-the-day-gm-to-bring-chevy-beat-to-us-market/

The Chevrolet Beat, America’s New Mini-Car?
Written by Max Lindberg
Gas2.0

This mean-lookin’ machine may wind up in your rear-view mirror someday, as GM is thinking hard about bringing this 40mpg car to America. Don’t you just love the way some cars take on an actual head-on personality. Engineers must love to do this sort of thing.

It’s called the Beat, and it’s a car that would normally be sold in other markets, such as Asia and Latin America. But with the high price of gas, and GM’s plunging losses ($38.7 billion in 2007), the company that brought you the Hummer may just have to re-invent itself. And, no, it isn’t a hybrid.

How big is a mini-car? The Beat would come in at about 138 inches, 11.5 feet in length. You may have seen this concept model at the April 2007 Auto Show in New York. Daimler AG’s Smart car is smaller at 106-inches, and boasts a 36 mpg range.

No plans yet for actual construction of the Beat, except that engineers are finishing the final configuration, and GM hasn’t said where the car would be manufactured.

http://gas2.org/2008/07/04/the-chevrolet-beat-americas-new-mini-car/

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I really like that this car has such bold and aggressive style(to appeal to the younger crowd). I think our market could easily support a more mild 5 door such as the Groove for people who need more doors and a more conservative style.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
And just like the late to the party (in fact missed it totally) Shamaro, you can't buy a Beat now.

GM needs this vehicle for 2009. If it gets it by 2010 it will be too late for GM.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Aside from those who want to take a horse or some other living animal ride to work, I fully expect that there are those GM fans who never have any intention of driving something like the Beat and will say they "don't want it, don't need it, not safe enough, GM should not bring it here". Or will suggest that a $40,000 plus Volt is something every American who wants to save gas can afford. Or say the Aveo is "good enough and GM should go no smaller".

But letting them decide would be like letting Greenies have a say on the existence or need for the Monroe Ironhide Edition GMC Topkick. Truck guys will poop on small cars all day long as "unsafe" or "too small" from the open driver's window of their Tahoes and Sierras, and then, (when we're not looking) get onto their "safe" Harley or Honda motorcycles over the weekend for a road trip, or for a fuel-saving commute once a week.

I'd never suggest that GM should stop building the Chevy Kodiak. I think it's a great truck for those who need it and want it. That's the American way, right? I wish the Nader wannabes and big car/truck guys would get over the macho complex of small cars and let people who want to buy them enjoy a type of vehicle long denied to the U.S. car market, while Motorcycles and Topkicks roam free.

And for those who think it's not an "American Tradition" to offer a very small car, go look up Crosley.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I certainly hope they bring it here and soon. With 3 kids I often need to fit in my car I'd have to see it in person to know if I'd really want one but there are lots of people that would. Time for GM to lead rather than follow. They were one of the first with the Aveo for that class of vehicle and they need to be one of the leaders when cars go even smaller. Hopefully this is more compeititive than the Aveo was and is. Sounds like it will be a very nice car.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Are these babies based on the Matiz? on a Suzuki Kei car? or are they a bespoke design?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The big question is how long will it take them.

If less than 1 year - Great
If 2 years - Ok
If more than 2 year - UGH!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What can possibly stop this from actually happening?

If its a go, how long until its on the showroom floor?
This is the wrong question. The real question is, "How long will it take GM to get it to showroom floors? Will the price of oil have dropped by then?" "Will 40/mpg be passe by the time this hits the streets, with 60/mpg cars zipping past it?"

Sometimes I wonder if I am a GM fan, or I am simply someone who thrives on painful, dreadful news and outlook.

Quite simply put, GM cannot get a car to market in a timely manner. Period. There is no one on this site who can refute this, no matter their degree of fanhood.

Rooting for GM has now become a case of rooting for the underdog. I used to root for GM because I liked their classic products, and hoped for the past 20 years that a revival was just around the corner. But alas, no true revival has happened, nor does it look like one is in the cards as they continue to repeat the same blunders over and over again - completely miscalculating the economic climate, misunderstanding the buyers' needs, misunderstanding global trends.

We can save all future stories about the Beat and sum up its future as such: It will be a day late, and a dollar short. And by the time it rolls out and begins to garner sonsumer strength, General Motors will change its name to something ridiculous, thus dooming the nameplate.

General Motors has consistently made only one good car - Corvette. Everything else is just a flash in the pan, including the CTS and Malibu. Ten years from now(if GM still exists), we know the Vette will be a class leader. We can't say the same for any other moniker within the GM stable. This fact alone, is sickening.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
While the Beat should be brought to America, I'm hopeing they also do the Groove. I, personally, like the styling better, plus, is a two door car going to do the volume they need? I think they will need a 4 door for the volume. If so, bring the Groove!;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is the wrong question. The real question is, "How long will it take GM to get it to showroom floors? Will the price of oil have dropped by then?" "Will 40/mpg be passe by the time this hits the streets, with 60/mpg cars zipping past it?"

That was my point exactly, actually. I'm not a hater, but a believer, but damn, I just dont think this is gonna happen at the speed it needs to. Some higher-up dude is gonna stall and delay and blah and blah.....

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Combination of the Beat, Cruze, and Volt all in production and in showrooms would be the best thing that's ever happened to GM in a while.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
General Motors has consistently made only one good car - Corvette. Everything else is just a flash in the pan, including the CTS and Malibu. Ten years from now(if GM still exists), we know the Vette will be a class leader. We can't say the same for any other moniker within the GM stable. This fact alone, is sickening.
Ever hear of the Suburban? Still best in class as it always has been. In fact I can't think of another vehicle so consistently dominant in its respective class over so many years. The Silverado (C/K before it) has always been a quality product, going back and forth with the F-series as to which one is better. Currently its the Silverado. Caprice was always best in class until the b-body was stopped. Commodore has been a class leader for most of its history too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Combination of the Beat, Cruze, and Volt all in production and in showrooms would be the best thing that's ever happened to GM in a while.
In many ways, an outstanding combination, yes, and it will do wonders for the general and media perception of the company, and will help to stabilise market share.

But what GM needs more than anything is to start making money again. How much money will GM make per unit sold of these wonder econo-cars?

Cars like the Beat have wafer-thin margins. The weak dollar could negate any profit from importing the car directly from the far East.

The Cruze should be marginally profitable, but GM has already said the Volt - a very limited volume product - will be sold at a loss, at least initially.

None of which is going to replace the profits formerly reaped from trucks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Personally not the kind of car i want or need, but it is pretty cool. Priced right, and of good quality, this little car could be a smash for GM.

I'd buy one if they sold the blonde with each one :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
It seems most people are up for bringing the Beat here, I know I am.

I also feel that there is no reason not to bring the Groove and the Trax also. These cars are on a different playing field, they will each reach different and perspective buyers. If you only have the Beat and someone does not like the looks or driving matter, that customer is moving on. By having a sporty runabout( Beat ), a mini wagon ( Groove ), and a mini all-purpose, possibly AWD? ( Trax ), you would have your bases covered.

Gm cannot sit on the sidelines as a spectator anymore, they need these products asap. If bringing these cars to market takes as long as usual for GM, they may be playing catch-up, again. :(

These cars may also be a turning point for the publics perception of GM.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
how come Chevy Mexico gets all the small cars and all we get is the lackluster Aveo? Are there emissions issues we have to deal with here or some additional safety concerns?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts