GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Re: The Definintive GM Performance Car List Part II: 1973-1985

69Firebird400 said:
I agree - it's a really cool list, and should be considered a near-definitive guide of which GM cars should be considered collectibles (or potential future collectibles) from this era.

In response to the Israeli-Arab Yom Kippur war in 1973, and the support that the US and some Western European nations gave to Israel, OPEC stopped selling oil to the US. At the time, we only got 12% of our oil from Arab countries. The embargo lasted from August 1973 to April 1974.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_embargo_crisis

Then there was a second oil crisis, in 1979, caused by the Iranian revolution, when oil exports briefly ceased and caused a disruption to the world oil supply, and energy traders bid up the price on speculation of further supply problems (hmm, sound familiar??)
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_energy_crisis

so why didn't america just invade them to get oil in 1973?
joke.
so that explains why here in New Zealand we didn't have an oil crisis until 79, but before then it was all good.
thanks

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

All 80's era Monte SS's were L69 305 automatic cars in the US and Canada. A 350 4spd was available in Mexico but it was a diesel. 70/71 Monte SS's were 454 only

·
Registered
392 Posts

I'm glad to see the 85 Z24 hatch on there! That was my first car. Well, mine was an '86 Z24 CL. Beautiful car. Had every option, CL trim, factory sunroof, hatch curtain, power seat, cassette with eq and all the usual power goodies. Too bad mine was an automatic, it really blunted the force of the 2.8 Multi-Port.

Brings back fond memories of my ex and how much room was in the back hatch with the seats folded down... ;)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)

mikmak said:
Ming, the picture you have of the Holden is a HQ GTS, not a HJ as indicated in red according to the list.
Thanks mikmak - I changed the photo to a 1976 HX Monaro GTS 4-door --- hope its accurate!

poncho1982 said:
1984 Cavalier type 10 ?

They are joking right?

I thought it was a DEFINITIVE PERFORMANCE CAR list.

I had an 85 Cavalier type 10, it was no performance car.
OK, since the Cavalier is represented by the Z24 hatch, I think its safe to ditch it. :)

Keep in mind, though, some of these cars are just there to spice up the list and change things up a bit.

Raysz71 said:
ok.. What is a Malibu M80 ?
87Aero had some good comments after each model he suggested, which you can read here: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showpost.php?p=828769&postcount=16

1979-1980 Malibu M80 (dealer installed option package available in NASCAR loving South)

I also have 87Aero to thank for most of those Chevrolet image links in photobucket.

FBODYRULES said:
it goes up to 1985,
otherwise the grand-nation would be there for sure
Don't forget the original list that is from 1986-Current:

Link: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11758

Buick:

1986 Riviera T-Type
1986 Buick Somerset T-Type
1986 Performance Motorsports Trans-Am Somerset *
1987 GNX
1987 Grand National
1987 Regal Turbo
1987 Skyhawk Turbo Hatchback Coupe
1987 Electra T-Type
1989 Reatta Coupe
1991 Reatta Convertible
1991 Park Avenue Ultra
1992 Riviera Gran Touring Package
1995 Roadmaster Limited
1999 Riviera Silver Arrow
2003 SLP Regal GSX +
2006 Lucerne DUB Edition CXS V8 +
2008 LaCrosse Super

·
Registered
120 Posts

1975-1976 Chevelle Laguna S-3. Back when NASCAR still ran real-looking cars, the S-3 dominated the big tracks. They were scarce new, and are really rare now.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

Got it elgreen. Snagged a pretty hot photo of one from Hemmings Motor News, too.

Unfortunately it looks like we already have a '74 Laguna S3 on the list. Were there any big differences between the 1974 and 76 models?

1976 Chevelle Laguna S3

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

Hey Ming,
I think these lists should be made into a perminent section of the GMI site,
not only as a performance guide but also a future classic's guide,
and I think it would bring alot more people into the GMI site.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I'm all for that, FBODYRULES. Of course I'd strip out the commentary and just leave the lists. I'll bring it up with the other Admins and Mods. I still have a few more lists I'd like to do, and then plan a front page wrap up. For now, they are "sticky" in the Staff Member Commentaries section.

And thanks to you and others who enjoyed this list and find it "Definitive". Means a lot coming from hardcore GM fans. :)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

Ming said:
I'm all for that, FBODYRULES. Of course I'd strip out the commentary and just leave the lists. I'll bring it up with the other Admins and Mods. I still have a few more lists I'd like to do, and then plan a front page wrap up. For now, they are "sticky" in the Staff Member Commentaries section.

And thanks to you and others who enjoyed this list and find it "Definitive". Means a lot coming from hardcore GM fans. :)
do that man, that would be cool if they were in the "information pages" section.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Ming said:
Thats 2 of my old cars on the list!!!

That pic is a twin of my ol 77 TA SE

·
Registered
6,061 Posts

mrmonte said:
The turbo Monte was from 1979-1981 and wasnt an SS I think it could be had in any trim level. Kind of neat but not a great performer.
The Monte Carlo Turbo was available in 1980 and 1981. IIRC (don't have my brochures in front of me ... sorry), the Turbo had it's own model/trim package. I remember seeing a couple in person ... both having "Turbo" badging outside and on the dashboard (passenger side). But, I'd have to dig out my brochures to be sure.....

COOL list, Ming :).

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"It almost seems like yesterday" ... Kenny Rogers ... '20 Years Ago'

·
Registered
535 Posts

Awesome post!

Those cars look like a collection from a car lot in the town I grew up in (Mission, B.C.). It seemed like every second car was either a Monza, a Camaro, a Monte, or a Nova variant - with the driver invariably sporting a mullet, or being of East Indian descent.

GM really did have some cool cars in seventies/early eighties, including the Vega (this was a cool-looking car). Yes, GM vehicles were not the most powerful, and they made an art form out of making a fast-looking cars with very little power.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

Those were the best of time, and those were the worst of times!!

·
Registered
120 Posts

Great picture...how I'd like to have one. The '74 was flat-fronted, but more numerous. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)

CobaltSScrazy said:
liking the list, I know on Forza there is more GM exposure, maybe the GT series is just paid off??? I know certain games DO feature certain brands more than others.
CObaltSScrazy
If so, GM should pay to play also. Of course one of the other reasons so many models, even non "performers" are included in Gran Turismo series is that the developers are in ***an. But that doesn't explain away or excuse why a JDM 1986 Corolla is in the American Microsoft-Designed Forza Motorsport. Something tells me that was not Toyota paying to play, but rather the Import-influenced and Gran Turismo brainwashed designers making sure that the list looked not-so-different from car lists in the ***anese racing games. On the other hand, I was extremely happy to see the Buick Regal GNX pop up in Forza, that was an AWESOME first step towards recognizing American cars of the "forgotten decades".

GM really did have some cool cars in seventies/early eighties, including the Vega (this was a cool-looking car). Yes, GM vehicles were not the most powerful, and they made an art form out of making a fast-looking cars with very little power.
That's for sure. There are more than a few cars in that list that I'd love to own just for their looks, but with some I would prefer a swap-out with a more modern engine (assuming that could even be done without investing my life savings in the swap) that can squeeze more power out without sacrificing decent fuel economy -- like the current crop of GM V8 car engines. I know I've seen several show cars that swap whatever original engine was in there for a recent 350 crate engine or a junkyard find from a late model F-body. Of course, if I was just cruising in the car on weekends, I'd want to keep everything basically original with the enhancements kept to a minimum.

Thats 2 of my old cars on the list!!!

That pic is a twin of my ol 77 TA SE
I love that car, and once strongly was leaning towards having a place called Texas Trans Ams build me a replica-restoration: http://www.texastransams.com/ May yet do it someday. On the other hand, I'd love to have something a little less common like an early 1970's Bonneville as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Ming,

Someone mentioned the L69 (5.0 HO) Z28s for 84-85. I didn't see it listed. Or is it the "Special Edition?"

Cheers
Brett

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

soloyosh said:
Ming,

Someone mentioned the L69 (5.0 HO) Z28s for 84-85. I didn't see it listed. Or is it the "Special Edition?"

Cheers
Brett
I wasn't able to find a "special edition" Camaro for that year (unless perhaps it was a suspension package?) on a Google search, so I changed it to your suggestion.

doh - 1984 Trans AM 15th Anniversary
Good call.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts

Ming, you should probably take the 1979 Nova SS off your list, since '76 was the last year for the Nova SS. The '77 Nova Rally is probably the best of late 70's Novas, and it's on the list already.

I'd also like to nominate the '78 El Camino SS with an LM1 350/4-speed. This is the new lighter weight El Camino, so with this powertrain (available this model year only for the downsized 'Camino) it was a respectable mover.

Also, even though the '86-'87 Grand Nationals were faster, the '84-'85 Regal T-Type/Grand Nationals were still faster than their any other intermediate coupe available at that time that I can think of. At least the '84 should be on this list.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts