·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cadillac Lyriq Is Bringing in Younger Buyers at a Critical Moment
The Drive
May 17, 2017
By: Nico Demattia

For decades, Cadillac has battled an age problem. In an attempt to attract younger buyers, it put out cars like the CTS-V, the recent CT5-V Blackwing, and now, even an Escalade V. Still, a large portion of Cadillac customers put their teeth in jars at night. However, that might be changing, as Cadillac may have finally remedied its issue with the new electric Lyriq.

According to GM Authority, during a conference call with the media on May 16, Cadillac claimed that 68 percent of Lyriq buyers are from Gen X (born between 1965-1980) or Gen Y (1981-1995).

Read more at link above…
For decades, Cadillac has battled an age problem. In an attempt to attract younger buyers, it put out cars like the CTS-V, the recent CT5-V Blackwing, and now, even an Escalade V. Still, a large portion of Cadillac customers put their teeth in jars at night. However, that might be changing, as Cadillac may have finally remedied its issue with the new electric Lyriq.

According to GM Authority, during a conference call with the media on May 16, Cadillac claimed that 68 percent of Lyriq buyers are from Gen X (born between 1965-1980) or Gen Y (1981-1995).

Read more at link above…

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ah; the spider-web encrusted old adage of 'Cadillac owners are really old'.

Was a concern in the '70s and '80s, but when the other lux nameplates now are within a few years of Cadillac's ABA, the contention is an outdated fallacy, and outdated by decades. Still, some will eat it up as 'Yup; truth'.

2020 ~ Cadillac : 52, mercedes : 49.

Irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The Cadillac Lyriq Is Bringing in Younger Buyers at a Critical Moment
The Drive
May 17, 2017
By: Nico Demattia

Read more at link above…

Read more at link above…

I wonder how the originator of this article determined that, “a large portion of Cadillac customers put their teeth in jars at night.”?

Pure trash journalism.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,573 Posts
I wonder how much headroom there is? It looks like it has a really low roofline.
38.6" (980 mm) in front, 37.7" (958 mm) in rear.

For comparison, XT5 headroom numbers are:
  • 39.7" (1008 mm) in front, 38.4" (975 mm) in rear without sunroof
  • 37.9" (963 mm) in front, 36.6" (930 mm) in rear with sunroof

·
Premium Member
36,754 Posts
I wonder how the originator of this article determined that, “a large portion of Cadillac customers put their teeth in jars at night.”?

Pure trash journalism.
Originator probably puts hims teefs in a jar at night. Not a jar, though. Probably a glass of wine.

Saw this going 65 MPH shortly after noon today on the main expressway (I-96) between the GM Proving Ground and the GM Tech Center going toward the latter. Not sure why they just didn't drive it there.

View attachment 66173
Probably couldn't figure out where to put the gas in.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And now this:
Saw this going 65 MPH shortly after noon today on the main expressway (I-96) between the GM Proving Ground and the GM Tech Center going toward the latter. Not sure why they just didn't drive it there.

View attachment 66173
Don’t know. But to venture a guess they probably ran it until the battery died at the proving ground.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,861 Posts

View attachment 66173
My guess is this mule will most likely be testing future Lyriq enhancements. Both mechanical, and OTA software updates.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
"Cadillac claimed that 68 percent of Lyriq buyers are from Gen X (born between 1965-1980) or Gen Y (1981-1995)"

Smells like a case of "statistical manipulation".......
1) Kind of a large window?,,,,, 27 - 57 (but at least we know 32% are 58+)
2) If the median age is low, why not just tell us Cadillac?
3) It is a BEV, many older Cadillac buyers aren't interested, who is surprised?
4) And lastly; as of May 17th 2022, how many have been sold or committed to buy?

38.6" (980 mm) in front, 37.7" (958 mm) in rear.

For comparison, XT5 headroom numbers are:
  • 39.7" (1008 mm) in front, 38.4" (975 mm) in rear without sunroof
  • 37.9" (963 mm) in front, 36.6" (930 mm) in rear with sunroof
Ease of getting in and out is more important than overall headroom.

Probably couldn't figure out where to put the gas in.
Suspicion confirmed!
These two would be challenged to screw in a light-bulb, but they have no-problem taking their teeth in-and-out...

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
"Cadillac claimed that 68 percent of Lyriq buyers are from Gen X (born between 1965-1980) or Gen Y (1981-1995)"

Smells like a case of "statistical manipulation".......
1) Kind of a large window?,,,,, 27 - 57 (but at least we know 32% are 58+)
2) If the median age is low, why not just tell us Cadillac?
3) It is a BEV, many older Cadillac buyers aren't interested, who is surprised?
4) And lastly; as of May 17th 2022, how many have been sold or committed to buy?

Ease of getting in and out is more important than overall headroom.

Suspicion confirmed!
These two would be challenged to screw in a light-bulb, but they have no-problem taking their teeth in-and-out...

View attachment 66184
Loved the picture Ed. While I am glad there is interest with younger folks, I still don’t think GM should put all of Cadillacs eggs in the electric basket.

I will say this for an EV it is much better looking than a Tesla but still not my cup of tea. The V Escalade is but not in budget.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Loved the picture Ed. While I am glad there is interest with younger folks, I still don’t think GM should put all of Cadillacs eggs in the electric basket.

I will say this for an EV it is much better looking than a Tesla but still not my cup of tea. The V Escalade is but not in budget.

By 2030 Cadillac should definitely put all their eggs in the electric basket.

Cadillac sold 156k cars in the USA in 2019, the last year before the pandemic. Add another ~10% for Canada. China will ban new ICEv sales by then. Soon after various American States and Canadian Provinces will ban new ICEv sales too.

This is a small and dying market. Cadillac will not see a resurgence in ICEv sales before they are banned. Dumb to invest in further ICE powertrain development for Cadillac.

An EV Escalade has been confirmed by Mary and should be here way before 2030. It is better for Cadillac to establish itself as an electric brand before Mercedes,BMW,Audi, Lexus et al do it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts