GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I personally experience the new stuff coming out of Cadillac, and the more I read about what they have in mind for the future, the more I become convinced that Cadillac will have no problem restoring its storied image over the next decade or so, (provided no major goofs).

Having said that, I think its impossible for Cadillac to ever be exactly what it was in the 50's and 60's, just like there can never be another Elvis. Legend is a one-time deal, or it wouldn't be legend.

I do think, however, that they can recapture their former glory even if they could never recapture their former legend. In that sense, I think Cadillac can be as big and bad as ever. At this rate, it actually seems possible that Cadillac may once again be the name that immediately comes to mind when you're trying to ascribe an ultimate level of achievement to someone or something; for example, "that is the Cadillac of steaks", or "I'm gonna make a ton of money someday and own a mansion and a Cadillac!", etc.

My vote: the best is yet to come.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Cadillac took a gamble and reinvented itself. The gamble worked. As its new image takes root in the marketplace sales will increase and people will again look to Cadillac as the car of the rich and famous.

·
Registered
146 Posts
STSv, XLRv, V12 Escalade, and other new products in the line out through '09 have me excited about the future....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
LOL, I put that I'm an idiot. But I think Cadillac is going to fight against Bentley and R&R's again

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
The best is definitely yet to come.. BUT - I do wish they'd keep their PLUSH-feeling along with their great handling and sporty aspects.. Cadillac used to be the softest riding, most comfortable car available. I think that's important to be very comfortable AS WELL as have great performance and great handling. But - a stiff ride is what makes BMW and Mercedes a turn-off to me. Maybe the new magnestic suspension will make that possible in the future...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Coolcaddy, I couldn't have put it better. Those of us who think the best is yet to come don't realize quite what Cadillac was, once upon a time. A bit of reading will uncover cars that were better luxury cars than Rolls Royce built (consider this, there were no Rolls Royce V16s), and with more style.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect that the following is probably better located in "Driving Tunes", but it seems so appropriate for this topic.

If you haven't rediscovered Sinatra yet, now is a good time...

The Best is Yet to Come
(Lyrics slightly modified for my evil purposes :drevil:)

Out of the tree of life, I just picked me a plumb
You came along and everything started to hum
Still it's a real good bet, the best is yet to come

The best is yet to come, and won't that be fine
You think you've seen the sun, but you ain't seen it shine

Wait till the warm-up is underway
How fast can it get?
Bumpin' Bimmers off the roadway
You ain't seen nothin' yet

The best is yet to come, when that Caddy is mine

When that Caddy is mine
I'm gonna teach it to fly
I can hear Lexus whine
We're gonna drain their bank account dry

Wait till Mercedes resale starts goin' down
They think they've flown before, but they ain't left the ground

Wait till they're losin' every race
Look at that face of fear!
Wait till they see that sunshine place
And say, "ain't nothin' like that here"

·
Registered
43,795 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Nov 5 2003, 12:32 PM
I suspect that the following is probably better located in "Driving Tunes", but it seems so appropriate for this topic.

If you haven't rediscovered Sinatra yet, now is a good time...

The Best is Yet to Come
(Lyrics slightly modified for my evil purposes :drevil:)

Out of the tree of life, I just picked me a plumb
You came along and everything started to hum
Still it's a real good bet, the best is yet to come

You think you've seen the sun, but you ain't seen it shine

Wait till the warm-up is underway
How fast can it get?
Bumpin' Bimmers off the roadway
You ain't seen nothin' yet

When that Caddy is mine
I'm gonna teach it to fly
I can hear Lexus whine
We're gonna drain their bank account dry

Wait till Mercedes resale starts goin' down
They think they've flown before, but they ain't left the ground

Wait till they're losin' every race
Look at that face of fear!
Wait till they see that sunshine place
And say, "ain't nothin' like that here"

Funny lyrics!!! It's a great song, but I'm not a big fan of Sinatra version. James Darren does an awesome version of the song though on his album, "This One's From the Heart."

Anyways... isnt that song in the GMC Envoy commericals?? :blink:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Nov 5 2003, 04:19 PM
I put that I'm an idiot too. That's good, right?

Ghrankenstein
I guess :lol:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano@Oct 28 2003, 09:42 PM
The best is definitely yet to come.. BUT - I do wish they'd keep their PLUSH-feeling along with their great handling and sporty aspects.. Cadillac used to be the softest riding, most comfortable car available. I think that's important to be very comfortable AS WELL as have great performance and great handling. But - a stiff ride is what makes BMW and Mercedes a turn-off to me. Maybe the new magnestic suspension will make that possible in the future...
Don't worry, we're still gonna have the DTS :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I said they will remain competative , they have some really nice cars coming out but my moms past problems with the cadillac seville sls had lead me to the believe that these new cadillac products wont be that great. Sorry, i mean we had to bring her car like 25 times because it would stall, the oil pump would break, everthing would leak, belts would break....it was just a pain in the neck so she is thinking on trading it in for a bonneville <_<

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS@Nov 5 2003, 09:41 PM
I said they will remain competative , they have some really nice cars coming out but my moms past problems with the cadillac seville sls had lead me to the believe that these new cadillac products wont be that great. Sorry, i mean we had to bring her car like 25 times because it would stall, the oil pump would break, everthing would leak, belts would break....it was just a pain in the neck so she is thinking on trading it in for a bonneville <_<
FWIW, I've had a total of six Cadillacs, including a '98 Seville SLS like your mom's, and no major problems. My dad's '01 DeVille makes seven. JD Power's most recent reliability rankings put Cadillac close to the top both in initial quality and long-term durability...

...I'll bet you wish you could change your vote now. B)

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
man, how far cadillac has come since
Yes this 6 year old thread is just plain depressing...
All of the cars they were talking about being so cool and so hip and so "the future".... either are dead, soon to be dead, or never materialized.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes this 6 year old thread is just plain depressing...
All of the cars they were talking about being so cool and so hip and so "the future".... either are dead, soon to be dead, or never materialized.
It sucks that GM can't currently sustain the XLR or any other more exotic type of car which the Cadillac name deserves--I suppose that's what you're really reacting to. :( Otherwise, you have to be encouraged by what's come out of Cadillac since 2003:
  • The CTS and Escalade have been consistent winners in their class, particularly the newest generation of each
  • The SRX is competitive, and the 2010 version is undeniably outstanding
  • The base STS is a bit lackluster, but the V-Series STS may be the most under-appreciated model in the line-up
And then there's the trusty DTS, still a great ride and the best choice out of a class of 2. :) (The other one being the Town Car of course.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts