GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford's 2009 Fiesta ECOnetic goes on sale in November. But here's the catch: Despite the car's potential to transform Ford's image and help it compete with Toyota Motor (TM, news, msgs) and Honda Motor (HMC, news, msgs) in its home market, the company will sell the little fuel sipper only in Europe.

"We know it's an awesome vehicle," says Ford America President Mark Fields. "But there are business reasons why we can't sell it in the U.S." The main one: The Fiesta ECOnetic runs on diesel.
more at link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/the-65-mpg-car-ford-won't-sell-in-us.aspx

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Is that really the main reason? How many diesel models does Volkswagen offer here?

"Americans see hybrids as the darling," says Global Insight auto analyst Philip Gott, "and diesel as old tech."
Well who's really to blame for that? If you emphasize the technology and play it up enough, maybe even add a little mild hybrid tech for an extra boost, you can spin it very positive and very futuristic. I think instead that the marketing has been lacking.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Given all the polls that various publications and blogs etc are running on this .... and the results.....all positive.....

Heck, I'll say what others have already been saying .

Ford ought to bring it - and charge for it.

It could in a useful way, crash the party for a whole bunch of other product.

Look what people pay for a Prius.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Poor reason. If they can get that kind of mileage out of it and make it 50 state legal then it would sell here quite well. They do just need to market it properly. VW diesels seem to sell well and have great resale value. I'd rather have a diesel than a hybrid if it got a little better mileage. I think they are fun to drive (love the torque) and the stinky fuel isn't really that bad when the time comes to fill up.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Yeah, the excuse is kind of lame! Surely they could bring it over here and get a bit of a cult following just like the Jetta/Golf TDi has in the past.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This car would be perfect for my commute, 60 miles on the highway, 20 miles in the city, way better suited than a hybrid for me.

How does that saying go? Build it and they will come?

It's the whole automatic vs manual transmission arguement, if you don't even offer one how the heck do you what will and will not sell these days?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
They could build the engine here, but some concessions would have to be made. First, taxes would have to be changed at the state and federal levels to make diesel more affordable. Second, unlike Europe, they have to offer it with an automatic transmission. Yes, I know manuals are the rave in europe, but cars play a very different role here. You we don't all live in a handful of mega cities where public transportation is a abundant. If we want to go anywhere, we have to do it ourselves. Third, ford would have to run a a very expensive ad campaign emphasizing the fuel economy and new clean diesel and bio diesel in order to help erase the stigma that diesel has.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh, and how much is it going to cost? Sometimes I want to pull out my hair! What is it going to be addiction to oil or support of breakthroughs like the Chevy Volt (I am sure Ford has something very similar)? All I ever hear about at work is how much it costs to fill-up but, when technology like a small diesel or E- Flex comes out, the first thing out of their mouth is how much is it going to cost? Well how much more foreign oil can we afford?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
This car would be perfect for my commute, 60 miles on the highway, 20 miles in the city, way better suited than a hybrid for me.

How does that saying go? Build it and they will come?

It's the whole automatic vs manual transmission arguement, if you don't even offer one how the heck do you what will and will not sell these days?
Same goes for sedan-based 4-cyl. station wagons that GM used to sell tons of in the 80's during the last fuel crisis. Coupe, Sedan, Wagon. It was standard. And people bought them because they made sense.

GM will say they are "not fashionable", and yet even if they were to make one it would get a pathetic advertising budget and launch.

GM (and Ford) would rather sell me a Crossover that they can jack the price way up on, when in reality I'd get about the same utility (with a lower ride height) and much better fuel economy out of a Cobalt wagon than an Equinox.

I tend to think the resistance to diesels is more about what they want to sell us in the U.S. -- something else, some other direction they'd rather have us go in. And that's what will get the marketing/advertising bucks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Isn't Honda doing a diesel Accord? I don't see why Ford wouldn't take a chance and bring some over here to see how they do. WORST case scenario is you sell them for a loss OR they could have a new hit car that gets the best MPG around, I think I would take the chance and bring over a limited number of them. Make them special order only, try something different , the tired "dirty" excuse doesn't apply to new diesels. The same can be said to GM with its lack of diesel offerings in NA.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
*sigh* Diesels are an attractive option, one that I'd like to see here in greater numbers, but...I think Lutz hit the nail on the head when he noted that Joe Consumer will look at a diesel, STILL think old smelly and noisy, see that diesel fuel costs more than gas, and that you have to pay a premium for the engine, and will be turned off despite the fuel economy savings. It seems like its getting harder and harder to change Americans' perceptions of anything!

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the diesel emissions are the problem then we should wait until they can make it clean enough to meet our standards. If safety is the issue it isn't here and it meets european standards thats different. Environmental issues effect alot of people; our environment plus Canada's. Safety issues effect the owner of the car, ie less people and could be considered personel issue.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sell the damn diesels here. WTF?!? This is so frustrating!

Gee, our image is one of truck maker. Trucks that run on diesel, by the way. So let's not sell a 65mpg car here because it might hurt our image and make us look old tech?!?

FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:brick:brick:brick:brick:brick

·
Banned
423 Posts
I would buy this car. i would not even think about it twice. 65 mpg whats there to think about. I do not understand why ford and gm do not want to bring these vehicles here. Think about tv ads. more mpg then price and it cost 3k less. This would change image of ford and gm over night. People would not think of them as a truck and suv comp. It's crazy how stupid ford and gm are. They have chance to change their image over night and they will sell so many of these cars and they will not do it. Just stupidity

·
Banned
423 Posts
Sell the damn diesels here. WTF?!? This is so frustrating!

Gee, our image is one of truck maker. Trucks that run on diesel, by the way. So let's not sell a 65mpg car here because it might hurt our image and make us look old tech?!?

FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:brick:brick:brick:brick:brick
Well said. How much more frustrating can it get????? They have 65 mpg car and they will not sell it here, when people are buying anything that gets 35 mpg. Imagine how fast ford would sell 65mpg car. This is just crazy. And then we get these people asking gov. for money because they are broke. Well idiots in detroit you would not be broke if you sold this car here. People would have a good opinion of you not just as a truck evil company. Yes lets get these morons our money so they can waste it.

·
Banned
423 Posts
*sigh* Diesels are an attractive option, one that I'd like to see here in greater numbers, but...I think Lutz hit the nail on the head when he noted that Joe Consumer will look at a diesel, STILL think old smelly and noisy, see that diesel fuel costs more than gas, and that you have to pay a premium for the engine, and will be turned off despite the fuel economy savings. It seems like its getting harder and harder to change Americans' perceptions of anything!
well even with premium price and higher diesel cost. you will still save money. Think about it. you can get 34 mpg aveo or 65mpg fiesta. That is 30mpg more to the gallon and price difference in diesel is not that significant. And when you factor in that diesel engines last longer you come to conclusion that lutz is an idiot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
In other news... VW management seen laughing while walking into a bank...

:D

While diesels may not be for the masses, there is a very strong following that want diesels. They don't have to make sense monitarily (hmm...sounds familar). Whoever is doing the market study for GM and Ford may not be very smart as people will pay a premium price(not outrageous though) and the vehicles are sought after when used (return of leasing?). I looked at buying a used Jetta TDI two years ago but decided against it after a two year old car was going for MSRP.

Nobody wants diesels though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
If the diesel emissions are the problem then we should wait until they can make it clean enough to meet our standards. If safety is the issue it isn't here and it meets european standards thats different. Environmental issues effect alot of people; our environment plus Canada's. Safety issues effect the owner of the car, ie less people and could be considered personel issue.
The Blue Tec T2B5 legal E class has been on sale for over two years now. (MYR 2006) in the USA.

The Cummins/RAM T2B5 6.7L was intro ed..... when - March - January 2007 ???:lmao:

The VW T2B5 50 state legal Jetta Clean Diesel just went officially on sale either on 16 or 18 August 2009 - in the USA..

Emissions control are not the problem - marketing analysis and management are - at certain companies.

If Ford, or anyone else for that matter, are behind here, that's just piss poor planing during prior preparation, period.

And by the way, we now have over in Europe diesel product coming shortly that will meet Euro 6 basically 4 and half years ahead of schedule.

Heck, Honda, the most anti diesel OEM in the world is going to get here with one - evidently before Chrysler ( who has absolutely no excuse ), Ford and GM.

Sad to say, I guess all the lessons of the easy to beat Prius havn't been learned.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Diesel or not it would make a good mpg leader and help Ford's image. Its a shame GM soured America on a car diesel with their piece of crap. Maybe there's not enough of us who remember the GM engine still around to make a differnce. Ford should go for it.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts