GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2022 GMC Jimmy Could Be GM's Answer to the Jeep Wrangler
This body-on-frame off-road SUV could ride on GM's mid-size pickup underpinnings.
Car and Driver
By JOEY CAPPARELLA
JUN 21, 2019

• General Motors is looking to come up with its own competitor to the Jeep Wrangler, and it could take the form of a GMC Jimmy SUV, as illustrated above.
  • The Jimmy name was previously used decades ago for GMC's version of the Chevrolet Blazer.
  • This new GMC model could arrive within the next few years with a starting price around $30,000.
*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well it looks good. I hope it becomes reality. Finally a GM midsize SUV you don't need a prescription of Andro gel to drive.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
In the mean time for anyone who wants one.. Buy a Yukon.. Even a used one.. Lift it. Put 17 inch Grabbers on it, add skid plates.. Switch running boards with tubes. Buy Jimmy nameplate in ebay . Have fun

·
Registered
190 Posts
GM will never compete with the Wrangler. End of story. There is 70 years of direct development of the frame, chassis, drive train, and suspension to make what makes a Jeep a Jeep.

First off GM won’t offer this with a manual transmission in the top trim fully loaded with all the options. You can get a fully loaded Rubi with a $62,000 sticker, with a 6 speed manual. GM will never take the time or expense to develop bushings, suspension links, and solid axels that give Wranglers their legendary off road prowess right off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If Ford is going for the 1966-76 style count my heart strings as unpullable. Those first gen Broncos were just ugly to my. I prefer any from when they upsized them in 1977 till the last 1996 rolled off the line.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I see plenty of 4dr Wranglers around here, so a 4dr competitor based on Colorado makes a lot if sense. Not for me (I’ll take a CT4 thanks) but do it GM!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
GM will never compete with the Wrangler. End of story. There is 70 years of direct development of the frame, chassis, drive train, and suspension to make what makes a Jeep a Jeep.

First off GM won’t offer this with a manual transmission in the top trim fully loaded with all the options. You can get a fully loaded Rubi with a $62,000 sticker, with a 6 speed manual. GM will never take the time or expense to develop bushings, suspension links, and solid axels that give Wranglers their legendary off road prowess right off the showroom floor.
Granted on the history.. but come on... we live in a world where outside of the some staunch fans who's gonna care? Especially if they use the Jimmy name and do it on a Colorado/Canyon ZR2 platform. Truthfully what jpd suggested with the Hummer rebirth I've been on board SINCE 2009. GM brings back Hummer even under the GMC name, with a simple tag line of "the spirit of Hummer lives on" they would gobble up sales like Pac-Man on crack, and the dots were the crack.

They could really just do the H3 initially and an H3T and just like that they would grab sales. I mean like actually just start building them again in the same styling as before. With that.. they could literally put a dam on sales going to the Gladiator too

This Jeep and the aforementioned H3T look almost identical.. furthermore the H3T and H3 was regarded, when it was out, as one of the best off-road vehicles ever. WTF... GM just doesn't fit GMC with a few Hummer H3/H2 models is beyond me.. and in truth.. they wouldn't even have to do anything different in styling from those vehicles despite a decade being gone.. and people would buy them. I drove a few H3s, never an H3T, but I can tell U.. no matter where I went.. I never feared being stuck LOL. one time purposely going into a muddy mess of a field on the Easter Shore of MD, finger hovering next to the roadside/onstar button, only to come out f it as if I were on flat dry pavement. GM was a FOOL to kill that brand and not simply realign its products and future products with GMC or Chevy.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,481 Posts
In the mean time for anyone who wants one.. Buy a Yukon.. Even a used one.. Lift it. Put 17 inch Grabbers on it, add skid plates.. Switch running boards with tubes. Buy Jimmy nameplate in ebay . Have fun
That's about the best you can do currently if you really want GM. I really think though that there is room for a smaller product like that in the GM lineup under possibly both divisions. These FWD based things just don't cut it for those who desire to go off road.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That's about the best you can do currently if you really want GM. I really think though that there is room for a smaller product like that in the GM lineup under possibly both divisions. These FWD based things just don't cut it for those who desire to go off road.
This one might be too pretty.. but U get my drift

Reactions: joey

·
Premium Member
35,459 Posts
A Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep. It's like a Hummer. A Hummer is a Hummer. A Tesla is a Tesla.

They have a cachet and a following that can't be copied. You can add all the testosterone-signals you want, something named Jimmy is NOT a Jeep.

This one might be too pretty.. but U get my drift

I would pull that over in a heartbeat because odds are very good that there's cocaine aboard.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Granted on the history.. but come on... we live in a world where outside of the some staunch fans who's gonna care? Especially if they use the Jimmy name and do it on a Colorado/Canyon ZR2 platform. Truthfully what jpd suggested with the Hummer rebirth I've been on board SINCE 2009. GM brings back Hummer even under the GMC name, with a simple tag line of "the spirit of Hummer lives on" they would gobble up sales like Pac-Man on crack, and the dots were the crack.

They could really just do the H3 initially and an H3T and just like that they would grab sales. I mean like actually just start building them again in the same styling as before. With that.. they could literally put a dam on sales going to the Gladiator too

This Jeep and the aforementioned H3T look almost identical.. furthermore the H3T and H3 was regarded, when it was out, as one of the best off-road vehicles ever. WTF... GM just doesn't fit GMC with a few Hummer H3/H2 models is beyond me.. and in truth.. they wouldn't even have to do anything different in styling from those vehicles despite a decade being gone.. and people would buy them. I drove a few H3s, never an H3T, but I can tell U.. no matter where I went.. I never feared being stuck LOL. one time purposely going into a muddy mess of a field on the Easter Shore of MD, finger hovering next to the roadside/onstar button, only to come out f it as if I were on flat dry pavement. GM was a FOOL to kill that brand and not simply realign its products and future products with GMC or Chevy.

The new Jimmy should be a GMC "H3" and "H3T" which were both far better real world vehicles than the H2 and H2T were and GM does not need to "bring Back" HUMMER as it cannot properly design and market the (4) four brands (Buick/Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC) it has. Not to mention that inspite of year of intentional neglect and starvation, the GMC brand remains GM's strongest brand, especially among "Non GM" or "Conquest" buyers so GM will gain more buyers with a GMC Jimmy at a lower overall cost than it could by reviving HUMMER and dealing with a ton of negative press (it will come and be a huge marketing headache even if the new HUMMER vehicle run on Air and clean the air while they drive).

Do not see GM trying to copy the No Top and No Door design of the Wrangler since it would create delays and added costs and they will not be able to "Out Jeep" by doing it anyway - nobody is going to "Out Jeep" Jeep so no reason to try and to be realistic, most Wrangler drivers do not remove the tops and/or doors even when Off Roading. They also do more "Mall Roading" than "Off Roading" in actual real world miles so do not see a compelling reason to copy those features.

If the Jimmy can deliver the Off-Road performance of the H3 and new ZR2 in Jimmy AT4 trim it will sell well enough to establish the Jimmy as a legit Off Road Vehicle and sell plenty of Jimmy SLE, Jimmy Elevation, Jimmy SLT and Jimmy Denali variants that will see more on road driving and be bought more for bad weather driving than rock crawling.

Just hope this is not a bunch of hype that never amounts to a real vehicle, if it does I will certainly consider a new GMC Jimmy in either AT4 or Denali trim (probably AT4).

·
Registered
7,798 Posts

You are correct about not being able to compete with the Wrangler, but the GMC Jimmy does not have to and if it is based on the next gen Canyon and is more of a SUV ZR2 (or H3) it will sell more than enough for GM to make plenty of money on it since as a GMC product it can sell at the required ATP's to pay for the "Real Deal" Off Road equipment.

GM could offer a Manual since the Canyon will still offer it in global markets that the next gen will be sold in, just not sure GMC will offer it and not sure that even the Wrangler has a good "take rate" on the 6-speed (anyone know what the real world rate is in 2019??). Think the ZR2 and previous H3 show that GM can create a competitive Off Roader with a different twist on it (which I think is a positive) and again will sell enough without trying to be "More Jeep" than the Wrangler.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts