Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2022 Ford Mustang is losing a few ponies due to emissions rules
October 14, 2021
By Gary Gastelu

Mustang's 5.0-liter V8 will lose 10 horsepower

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

The 2022 Ford Mustang is giving up some power in a bid to outrun increasingly restrictive emissions rules.

The 5.0-liter V8-powered Mustang GT and Mustang Mach 1 will both be down a few ponies compared to the 2021 cars, Ford Authority first reported.

According to the dealer ordering system, the GT is dropping from 460 hp to 450 hp and the Mach 1 from 480 hp to 470 hp, with similar reductions in torque.

More at link

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The Mustang isn't the only vehicle affected by the new regulations. Chevrolet had to retune the Corvette's 6.2-liter V8 to meet them, but was able to retain its power ratings, while Dodge didn't even try to carry over the 710 hp Durango SRT Hellcat, which was only offered for the 2021 model year.
I didn't know they were dropping the Durango SRT Hellcat....

Anyone know the differences between GM vs. Ford's approach in that one lost 10 hp and the other didn't?

Anyone know how this impacts Dodges other V8 vehicles or GM's other V8's?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I wonder if this is why the new Navigator lost 10 horses as well

Reactions: BORG and BlackGTP

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
I bet Gavin will get one with a full load of HP. He strikes me as quite the high performance driver. :ROFLMAO:🛴

·
Registered
162 Posts
Let's go Brandon!
(oh of course it's a FauxNews post)

If GM could keep their numbers the same AND meet the emissions standards, I don't think it's "Brandon's" fault they dropped on the Mustang.....sounds like Ford's problem. We never thought we'd get out of the era of 140hp Corvettes but look at us now. The manufacturers need to keep up or disappear.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm assuming Ford is just using the GPF used in their RoW GT's. If you remember they've always ran lower outputs than the NA versions. Ford is being cheap and instead of engineering a "fix" that will maintain outputs, they're just implementing something that already exists, gambling that what buyers remain for pony cars won't be lost due to -10hp/-10tq.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm assuming Ford is just using the GPF used in their RoW GT's. If you remember they've always ran lower outputs than the NA versions. Ford is being cheap and instead of engineering a "fix" that will maintain outputs, they're just implementing something that already exists, gambling that what buyers remain for pony cars won't be lost due to -10hp/-10tq.
The *Most of the World/Euro GT makes 444hp, while their Mach 1 makes 454hp. So the 10hp reduction of the North American model still makes it stronger at 450hp for the GT and 470hp for the Mach 1.

*I put Most of the World instead of Rest of the Wolrd because some markets like the Middle East, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, Chile etc get full horsepower like the North American Mustangs.
The Australian V8 Mustangs' power figures are between the Euro and North American models.

·
Registered
205 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts