GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oooh Nooo ! Just when I envisioned , in a previous post , GM taking on the MKX by making their GM model a bit longer , Ford ups the ante in a spectacular fashion . This is a slam dunk , money in the bank design ! This is why I feel that Cadillac who will be introducing/producing a few crossovers in a couple of years , faces an almost impossible task of meeting or exceeding the competition . Simply , the competition doesn't sit still and constantly refines and updates its' vehicles . What's the old saying , " don't let your boys grow up to be cowboys " ? It should say " don't let them manufacture vehicles " . For a guy whose first car was a 53 Ford sedan and the big three companies , there's now a world of companies building outstanding designs with great fuel economy and unbelievable warranties . If you live in a big city and have enough time , you can purchase most any one of them . Tough enough for a company like Ford who has a laser-like focus on each market segment , but for a monster bloated company like GM , who produces a staggering number of models thru 4 divisions , the task looks like it is far too complicated . If the proliferation of models continues unabated , I foresee marginal profits and a resulting purchase of more low cost components and cheap labor , probably from Mexico , other South American country or Asia . With that , of course , comes continual problems with reliability ...... What you give , you get !!

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
Oooh Nooo ! Just when I envisioned , in a previous post , GM taking on the MKX by making their GM model a bit longer , Ford ups the ante in a spectacular fashion . This is a slam dunk , money in the bank design ! This is why I feel that Cadillac who will be introducing/producing a few crossovers in a couple of years , faces an almost impossible task of meeting or exceeding the competition . Simply , the competition doesn't sit still and constantly refines and updates its' vehicles . What's the old saying , " don't let your boys grow up to be cowboys " ? It should say " don't let them manufacture vehicles " . For a guy whose first car was a 53 Ford sedan and the big three companies , there's now a world of companies building outstanding designs with great fuel economy and unbelievable warranties . If you live in a big city and have enough time , you can purchase most any one of them . Tough enough for a company like Ford who has a laser-like focus on each market segment , but for a monster bloated company like GM , who produces a staggering number of models thru 4 divisions , the task looks like it is far too complicated . If the proliferation of models continues unabated , I foresee marginal profits and a resulting purchase of more low cost components and cheap labor , probably from Mexico , other South American country or Asia . With that , of course , comes continual problems with reliability ...... What you give , you get !!
I don't understand... Because Lincoln has what appears to be a good design that Cadillac can't surpass it? Yes, Cadillac or any GM division of 20 years ago would be sunk, but GM's recent designs have been winners, they just have marketing and pricing issues. Perhaps I'll get bashed for sounding like a fanboy in saying this, but I have more confidence and faith in GM of today to put out product that is segment winning.

And again, looks nice, but I don't see what is rwd proportion about it. Yes, it has a short front overhang but the front wheel is close to the door, which is pretty fwd looking to me. But in CUV's the rwd vs fwd look isn't as pronounced as in coupes and sedans (at least to me), therefore the "rwd" look is less important.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is RWD proportions:

What's the difference? In both, the A-Pillar stops a few inches behind the wheel well. That's how we've always defined RWD proportions on the other forums I visit.

Actually, the rear of the MKX looks more RWD. It's hunkered down as opposed to the tall rear end of the BMW.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
What's the difference? In both, the A-Pillar stops a few inches behind the wheel well. That's how we've always defined RWD proportions on the other forums I visit.

Actually, the rear of the MKX looks more RWD. It's hunkered down as opposed to the tall rear end of the BMW.

Say it with me..

AXLE. TO. DASH. RATIO.

My god man...put down the blinders!

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
So instead of looking like this...

It will look like this...

Now this is REALLY REACHING FOR IT Dequindre.

I know you think Lincoln is the best thing on Earth, but seriously 2 prototypes rushing by in 2 seconds is hardly a basis for such wild conclusions and a badly titled thread.

Seriously?

You honestly don't see the difference?

And by the way: "RWD PROPORTIONS" ARE NOT POSSIBLE WITH A FWD PLATFORM. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. The greenhouse of a RWD vehicle is going to be positioned considerably rearward due to the longitudinal engine/transmission under the hood. The MKX will not have this kind of drivetrain but a transverse engine/transaxle and the cabin will be further forward.

If the production version has the dash-axle ratio like the concept in the picture you posted, that would be great. but don't count on it. The MKC concept was a fake in that respect too.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
That's not true, actually, but you end up having to make compromises in packaging.
Theoretically, I suppose so. But the extra time and money spent, and the complexity in production would be enough to make most OEM's decide against it.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I think the situation is being taken too literal. It's not quite RWD proportions but it's much closer. It's close enough for 99% of people not to be able to tell the difference. The cabin does look pushed back a little bit more. People will notice the difference in proportions.

Anyways, it has far better proportions than the fugly new Q7. It has FWD written all over it.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Speaking strictly about proportions and styling I would take the MKX ten times out of ten over the X5, again, size, value, quality, price not considered only appearance.

To me the MKX looks like a Porsche Cayenne clone in terms of proportions.

Now the big question to me is when will we see this new MKX with the 2.9EB along with the rumored AWD system that can send 100% of power aft as needed? This new MKX may well prove to be the first new Lincoln that didn't take major shortcuts as the MKZ and MKC did.

Before the purists attack, personally I have no issue with a FWD based AWD vehicle when it comes to CUVs like this. I believe the platform is appropriate for the vehicles purpose. A FWD biased system is not appropriate for a true sports sedan/coupe, but in a CUV i don't see it as the handicap that it is in the MKZ.

Flame away! :p:

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts

Speaking strictly about proportions and styling I would take the MKX ten times out of ten over the X5, again, size, value, quality, price not considered only appearance.

To me the MKX looks like a Porsche Cayenne clone in terms of proportions.

Now the big question to me is when will we see this new MKX with the 2.9EB along with the rumored AWD system that can send 100% of power aft as needed? This new MKX may well prove to be the first new Lincoln that didn't take major shortcuts as the MKZ and MKC did.

Before the purists attack, personally I have no issue with a FWD based AWD vehicle when it comes to CUVs like this. I believe the platform is appropriate for the vehicles purpose. A FWD biased system is not appropriate for a true sports sedan/coupe, but in a CUV i don't see it as the handicap that it is in the MKZ.

Flame away! :p:
Well RWD proportions on a CUV are pointless, since the point of RWD proportions is to make sedans and coupes look stately and expensive.

In CUVs they just rob practical space.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts