Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2016 Cadillac ELR will be presented at the Geneva Auto Show
"With enhanced performance"
Cadillac Europe
February 10, 2015

Reference image

This year Cadillac Europe will celebrate a number of key European Premieres as well as display our exciting range of new cars and SUV’s at the Geneva International Motor Show 2015. We are looking forward to welcoming you as our guests during the press days on March 3 and March 4, 2015 on our stands in Hall 2.

At Cadillac we are proud to present our exciting new power players as European Premieres: the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V and CTS-V.
In addition, we will show for the first time the 2016 Cadillac ELR Electric Premium Coupe with enhanced performance and the new and updated European Cadillac range.
Link

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With almost 4 months late, from Los Angeles Auto Show 2014.

Personally, I hope that receive something out of 2.0 Voltec technology; otherwise it would not make sense 'Update'. We Will See!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
My guess would be that they're just swapping out some components like the battery for 2nd gen Volt parts. Otherwise it would be more complicated to build at the same plant, and they would have to keep the old battery in production.

Still not going to sell without massive discounts though.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
2016 model year!? Is this a joke? GM's still got 2 years worth of ELR's on hand now!

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
I don't see a word on price.

I don't see a word on ute.

Charging headon into the market with a car that's already fallen/driven into the swimming pool once.:eek:

If they keep this at 70 grand plus and keep it a coupe, and keep it with essentially no PR campaign, then I'd have to say that "management" are proving that the ghosts of Old GM are not ghosts at all.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I don't see a word on price.

I don't see a word on ute.

Charging headon into the market with a car that's already fallen/driven into the swimming pool once.:eek:

If they keep this at 70 grand plus and keep it a coupe, and keep it with essentially no PR campaign, then I'd have to say that "management" are proving that the ghosts of Old GM are not ghosts at all.
Cadillac has focussed on nothing but cars for a decade, completely ignoring CUVs (other than the 2 that were in existence - Escalade and SRX - a decade ago). This approach is apparently failing. An amoeba could figure out that releasing more CUVs (yes, even a CUV version of the Volt) would go a long way to improving the situation, particularly given GM's vaunted expertise in the SUV/CUV market sector. In that decade Audi (their approach is not failing - just so you know) has introduced three CUVs. Sigh.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
IMHO the NEXT GEN ELR should NOT exist AT ALL as both the current ELR has flopped badly and the re invented NEW one should wear a NEW name following there NEW naming convention NOT the OLD ONE!!!
I for one could smell the pending failure of the ELR from the get go and hope that the 2.0 Version is ether re priced or WORTH the asking price BOTH in finish AND performance

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,316 Posts
2016 model year!? Is this a joke? GM's still got 2 years worth of ELR's on hand now!
There are 591 on Cars.com... about 40% of what there were this time last year.
Selling about 50-100 a month, so there are probably a years worth.
The sub $40K ELR is near, but IMO there will still be some new 2014's available in 2016 as some dealers stubbornly hold out for more money.

Dealer better get rid of these before the new Volt gets here or the awakening is gonna get even ruder.

I wonder if they're gonna stick to their ludicrous MSRP strategy?
And will one of the "enhancements" be cost cutting the interior to save $$$?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
GM didn't make any 2015 ELR's.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
First Gen was too expensive for what it was, despite being a pretty well executed model. That happens quite often with new technology. Good car, just cost too much for the the niche market it plays in, thought it should have been around $60k, with options up to $75k.

2nd Gen should have an "e" variant that is strictly battery power w/ higher capacity, for those that want that. They should also do a V-Sport model with higher output electric motors for those that still want a sporty drive in an electric car (they should not be mutually exclusive at GM - see the cache Tesla has built up right under GM's nose).

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,316 Posts
I will be curious if it looks significantly different.
I think they'll just change the grille emblem.

First Gen was too expensive for what it was, despite being a pretty well executed model. That happens quite often with new technology. Good car, just cost too much for the the niche market it plays in, thought it should have been around $60k, with options up to $75k.

2nd Gen should have an "e" variant that is strictly battery power w/ higher capacity, for those that want that. They should also do a V-Sport model with higher output electric motors for those that still want a sporty drive in an electric car (they should not be mutually exclusive at GM - see the cache Tesla has built up right under GM's nose).
I don't see them doubling down too much on this. The ELR should've been a CUV and nothing can be done about that.
Put the new Voltec system in it with more power and adjust the MSRP. It's too bad it's not AWD.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts