GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/magazine.asp

Claim: Saddam Hussein owns part of a number of popular magazines.

"For once, a bit of widely-circulated anonymous e-mail is accurate — what's described in the example quoted above is the actual way of things. A holding company named Montana Management owns about two percent of French media giant, Lagardere SCA, whose Hachette subsidiary includes magazines such as Elle, Woman's Day, Road & Track and Car and Driver. Montana Management, in turn, is owned by Saddam Hussein.

Saddam Hussein's personal fortune is estimated to number in the billions of dollars, and some financial analysts guess it to be between 10 and 20 billion. His secret financial network is made up mostly of shell companies registered in tax havens by lawyers purportedly representing someone else. The hunt for Saddam's money has gone on for years, but his trove has proved to be well hidden and has defied the efforts of those who have searched for it. "

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor@Nov 20 2003, 05:59 AM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/magazine.asp

Claim: Saddam Hussein owns part of a number of popular magazines.

"For once, a bit of widely-circulated anonymous e-mail is accurate — what's described in the example quoted above is the actual way of things. A holding company named Montana Management owns about two percent of French media giant, Lagardere SCA, whose Hachette subsidiary includes magazines such as Elle, Woman's Day, Road & Track and Car and Driver. Montana Management, in turn, is owned by Saddam Hussein.

Saddam Hussein's personal fortune is estimated to number in the billions of dollars, and some financial analysts guess it to be between 10 and 20 billion. His secret financial network is made up mostly of shell companies registered in tax havens by lawyers purportedly representing someone else. The hunt for Saddam's money has gone on for years, but his trove has proved to be well hidden and has defied the efforts of those who have searched for it. "
Wow :blink:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
holy crap....oh well, dont buy r and t and c and d cause you dont wana suport the war for iraq!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
He used to own parts of companies.

Since the United States seized his money...who owns it now?!? BAH GAWD THE US DOES!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Ha! I seriously doubt that the editors and reviewers at Car & Driver care who owns them.

No, these are Starbucks Intellectuals who try to out-impress one another with how exotic and imported their cars and their taste in cars are, and look down on Domestic drivers as McDonalds, Wal-Mart, & Chevrolet fly-over country rustic bumpkins.

They think everyone who doesn't buy a Camry or Accord as a commuter car is stupid or ill-informed (ignorant), and won't rest until all the driveways of America are filled with BMWs, Saabs, Volvos, Hondas, and Toyotas. :p Only then will the ignorant Middle America realize how much they've been missing.

And they get to take a potshot at America, Patriotism (Jingoism to them), and America-central thinking people at the same time.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Even if that were true, that money would no longer be going to saddam anymore. Also, a 2% share is next to nothing really. But then, I don't know much about stocks, so maybe I'm wrong. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Hey, maybe Saddam will get an opportunity to review a Hummer and tell us what it's like to experience an H1 from the other side of its gun turret. B)

Here is a preview:

2004 Humvee H1
By Saddam Hussein
Contributing Editor

My experience with the H1 was eye-opening--this is certainly one of the most threatening vehicles my regime has faced, yet there is something calm and soothing about the Humvee. It is both "Mommy" and "Mother of All Vehicles" at the same time.

Getting close to an H1 was very difficult, as even now, they are nowhere near Saddam Airport, and I have been vacationing in Tikrit where the only military vehicles we have to play with are those Nissan pickups. Nonetheless, I was able to get close to an H1 by dressing up in drag and acting the part of a helpless woman.

In this guise, I was able to walk right up to an H1 that happened to get past my boys at the airport, and I asked the driver for directions and bubble gum for little Uday and Qusay, (they're actually dead, but this is a neat little trick I use to get free bubble gum).

While I walked around the H1, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful and elegant it was, even though it was very dirty. I was surprised to learn that it has a rather underpowered engine, and this was the only fault I could find with the vehicle. Even with this little wart, I was prepared to go get some of the cash that I recently, uh, withdrew from a Baghdad bank and offer it to the gentlemen behind the wheel in exchange for this awesome Humvee.

Wouldn't you know it? Right at that moment, a sudden wind shift blew off my burka and my cover was blown! Fortunately, I had changed my moustache just that morning so that it looks like that cute little moustache Hitler used to have, (hmph! Hitler! and they call me an evil-doer!), and the folks in the H1 didn't immediately recognize me.

They had their guns out soon enough, but I had hopped into one of the many escape holes we've dug around here and dropped back out of site and out of harm's way.

Would I recommend the H1? Yes and no. If you're the type of driver who absolutely must have the most effective military vehicle in its class, then the H1 is for you. Otherwise, stick with the Nissan pick-up, [C&D editor's addition]especially since the Nissan is Japanese and therefore obviously superior in every imagineable way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't post this to make a statement about where your money spent on C&D goes. I just thought it was funny. :bounce:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor@Nov 20 2003, 05:32 PM
I didn't post this to make a statement about where your money spent on C&D goes. I just thought it was funny. :bounce:
Its funny, but I don't believe it!!! :blink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts