GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VERY nice car, I walked away very impressed. It was a dark blue 2-door XR w/5 speed. Exterior of the car is top notch, super nice paint job along with 18" aluminum wheels.

I took the car around the block a few times, and was impressed. The interior fit/finish is top notch, but the interior is so monochromatic and has no style to it at all. It almost seems depressing. The radio is hard to use, the salesman could barely figure it out.

The transmission shifted beautifully, much better than the new Civic I test drove a few months ago. The clutch has the perfect stiffness to it, and the shifter has a great feel, very solid and fluid. The steering has excellent feel, and the chassis feels much tighter than that of my 2001 Accord.

Overall GREAT car, way to go GM.

I wouldn't buy one because of the "blahhh" interior, and the fact that there is NO room in that car. I'm only 5'8" tall, and my head was about an inch from the roof. Not to mention the car has very little power.

:D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The monochromatic charcoal interior is the biggest deterrent for me as well. The Astra is available in many different interior colors around the globe but GM obviously wanted to take the cheapest route possible and assumes that no one cares about the color of their car's interior. There is a charcoal and tan combination available for order but it's only for cloth interiors. I can't believe that in 2008 I can't get something as radical as a beige interior in a new Vibe, G8 or Astra.

That being said, I checked out an Astra today while I was having my oil changed and the car fits me like a glove. Great, supportive seats (lumbar was a little too prominent), excellent soft touch materials and clean design. The 5-door is plenty roomy to me (and I have two kids!) with a huge optional sunroof and nice stance. If they can somehow find a way to offer a beige or grey leather interior, I'd drive one off the lot in a second.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Hopefully, the Astra's AUX-in issue will be resolved in the 2009 model. No AUX-in really is a deal breaker for me.

I have Tuesdays and Thursdays off. Time to test drive some new cars.

-Astra XR
-Turbo Cobalt SS
-Mini Clubman S
-New WRX
-Maybe new Ralliart, though I have no interest in the new Lancer at all.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hopefully, the Astra's AUX-in issue will be resolved in the 2009 model. No AUX-in really is a deal breaker for me.
I'd forgotten about that. Also a major misstep on GM's part. It's 2008 already, what feat of engineering or design or troubleshooting is needed to get more than one interior color and an mp3 jack into an automobile???

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Same here, along w/ the lack of usable cup holders. Those two things are keeping me from even considering the Astra, otherwise I think it's a nice car.

I've been test driving new cars recently too. In the past few weeks I've driven the 09 Vibe GT, 09 Matrix S, and 08 Lancer GTS. I would be in love w/ the Lancer if it wasn't for the horrible CVT. I'm probably gonna end up w/ the new Vibe GT, I just wish GM wouldn't force Onstar on me, and would offer bluetooth in the Vibe like Toyota does in the Matrix.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I am 5'9" and didn't have any issues with comfort at all. I kinda liked the display screen, kinda brought me back to 1985! Not sure why, but I liked it...maybe its because I am a product of the 80's. I didn't like the placement of the ventilation dials. They are too low on the center stack and you have to take your eyes off the road to adjust them. The grey on grey controls look like it might be a pain to find the in low light situations.

Other than that I like it better than the Ion...that center cluster did very little for me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah, I'm 6'0" and felt that car was pretty roomy. Was it me or did it appear the 2-door has more floor space behind the rear seats than the 4-door? I really dig this car too but like the other post, the cupholder issue and even though there is no XM, PLEASE an AUX in.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, maybe the seat was raised, but regardless I felt very cramped inside the car. The backseat was about as roomy as my Accord (coupe), or so my friend told me, LOL.

I can't get over how nice the car drove. If it came in a different color combination, and I had the finances, I'd pick one up for sure.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think the interior is nicely laid out; better than the Focus, Civic, Sentra, Carrolla, etc. Only thing it needs in optional Nav., Bluetooth, and MP# player jack. Other than that, I'd get it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I saw a top of the line red 5 door at the dealer a few days ago. It's a really good looking car, but there's several things that would keep me from ever buying one:

1.) No AUX Jack.
2.) No 3-door sunroof.
3.) Center stack doesn't do it for me. I don't care for the interior.
4.) Gas mileage isn't very good for what you get.
5.) Not nearly enough exterior or interior color choices.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I saw a top of the line red 5 door at the dealer a few days ago. It's a really good looking car, but there's several things that would keep me from ever buying one:

1.) No AUX Jack.
2.) No 3-door sunroof.
3.) Center stack doesn't do it for me. I don't care for the interior.
4.) Gas mileage isn't very good for what you get.
5.) Not nearly enough exterior or interior color choices.
Yea, I agree with that plus it's very small on the inside, but I guess most compacts are. Very nice looking though and fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hmmm, maybe the seat was raised, but regardless I felt very cramped inside the car. The backseat was about as roomy as my Accord (coupe), or so my friend told me, LOL.

I can't get over how nice the car drove. If it came in a different color combination, and I had the finances, I'd pick one up for sure.
Man, I haven't heard from you in a while.

Which Saturn dealer did you go to?

5,934 Posts
I'll have to check it out for myself. That and the G8. But I'm surprised they don't offer any different interior colors. Surprising. Unless, as you said, they were trying to keep the costs down.

I personally, would like to see an Astra rebadge as a Chevy. When is GM going to invest in the "bread and butter" brand, and give it some "cool" cars. Seeing what they did with the Kappas, Lambdas, Zetas and Malibu, I know it's in 'em.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
My only complaint is the interior. I wish they would offer some of the more interesting colors that EU gets. Instead we get grey, grey, and more grey.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Is that a deal killer?
Frankly, it could be a deal breaker. I don't know if I'd call it a deal killer insomuch as it would be a definite check minus when cross-shopping if the competition had one.

If you had asked me this before I had experienced an aux jack in my Si, I would've said that I didn't care, but let me tell you: after fiddling with those damn iPod FM Signal Transmitters, being able to plug your iPod or MP3 player directly into your car, getting decent sound quality uninterupted, is almost priceless, especially when you store all of your CDs on your iPod.

I had fiddling with CDs, and they take up space that I, frankly, don't have in a compact car. Given the Astra doesn't even have a center console, I shutter to think what happens if you have a full glove box and you still use CDs.

So I don't think it'd break the deal, but it would make me reevaluate whether or not it's worth it. And given the other check minuses, for me at least, the Astra just isn't worth it as it is right now. Still a great car, not arguing that, just...not doing it for me, unfortunately, which is a shame, because it's a beautiful car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.