GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a 2014 Double-Cab 1500 4.3L 4x4 WT2

Dealership let me take out a 2014 1500 CrewCab WT1 4.3L 4x4.

Pulled out on the highway and truck felt rough. My 1997 Silverado is way smoother in the arms/seat.
Brother in the back felt vibration and so did I.

I believe it was the tires. Cheap bridgestone duelers. Felt like they had flat spots from sitting. Went away after about 10 minutes.

I also notice from a dead stop the truck didn't idle ahead. You have to give it some gas to get it going? Newest truck I have ever owned is my 1997 C2500 so maybe a new truck thing. I think the idle should be turned up lol.

Truck had posi-traction and would squeal the tires for about 2 seconds from a dead stop. Sounds like a V8 in the cab. Not that good off the line. Truck feels heavy and gas pedal feels almost limited. Like governed from a rental car agency.

Anyone know the name of the transmission they put in these trucks 6L45-6L50? How long have they been around and how reliable are they?. Never got into 5th or 6th on test drive. Ran out of highway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My truck needs had changed, so last week I traded in my '04 K-2500 on a
'14 K-1500 WT1 Reg.Cab. Shorty.

I also noticed the 'Idle' issue as well as the 'Starting' out' ;)

I really miss the transmission in my '04, this six speed deal is not real
user friendly at this point, we'll have to see as time goes on :confused:

I've only had it out at highway speeds a couple of times and it seemed somewhat OK
except for the constant shifting that was to me a bit delayed. I could not really
tell if it had hit the 4cyl mode or not. around suburbia I've found that for my driving
style using M4 I'm not on the brakes as much, letting the transmission do most of
the braking in the 40 to 45mph zones.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmmmm... My truck will be in sixth at 1100 RPM cruising at 45 MPH so i don't understand how you 'ran out of highway'.

Did you beat the crap out of it? Is this how you normally drive your personal vehicle?

I have the same motor/transmission and found that it rarely needs to shift out of sixth while highway cruising, even in rolling hills at around 70.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to make the decision on Monday.

Idle thing sucks. Truck doesn't roll at all when letting off the brake? Like I said feels heavy off the start slow or fast.

I like my 4 speed 4L80E enough gears for me. That's the only thing that kinda worries my about these trucks. Seems to shift alot. Maybe will reduce wear and tear on everything?

Was noon on Saturday and all the highways were bumper to bumper got it up to max 50mph

Just gave it one hard off the line start and one up hill pedal to floor to see what the demo could do. I was impressed with the power after 20mph got up to 75mph going up hill pretty fast.

This truck will have to be babied and that's why I want a 4.3L just enough power to pull the fishing boat and get around town. My motorcycle on the other hand yeah I ride it hard up-shifting.

Yeah I think the highway cruising in truck will be crazy good. I'm buying this truck because I have my 1997 C2500 Long-Box for my lawn care business. Want something to go to walmart & home depot and the occasional road trip. I'm so tired of packing my Socket set/toolbox/extra fluids and have the best roadside assistance praying my C2500 doesn't break down or maybe not run in the winter. Or not being able to make it up to the gun range or out of the boat launch in 2wd. Don't get me wrong my C2500 runs and drives likes brand new. Going to keep her forever.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Anyone know the name of the transmission they put in these trucks 6L45-6L50? How long have they been around and how reliable are they?. Never got into 5th or 6th on test drive. Ran out of highway.
The transmission is known as the 6L80 (or 6L80E). Pretty stout piece, haven't heard of many failures. MANY shift quality complaints as there are no "overrun" clutches in this design.

Used in 1500 trucks and SUVs, Camaro SS, and Chevy SS. First truck usage in the 2007s with 6.2 engines - Escalades and Denalis. IIRC GM began installing them in the 5.3-equipped pickups and SUVs in 2009.5 or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just bought a 14 rally edition 5.3 l n it's gets up n go. Love driving this truck, I did drive a 4.3 l n yes it's a bit slower than the v8 which is to be expected but it wasn't bad

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had a new 2000 C2500 and I never did like how the trans shifted. It was the shift points, down shifting points, up shifting points. The trans always shifted good but just not at the times I wanted. The truck I have now with the 6 speed has been great with no wishing it would shift differently. Good job!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Idle thing sucks. Truck doesn't roll at all when letting off the brake? Like I said feels heavy off the start slow or fast.

I like my 4 speed 4L80E enough gears for me. That's the only thing that kinda worries my about these trucks. Seems to shift alot. Maybe will reduce wear and tear on everything?

Was noon on Saturday and all the highways were bumper to bumper got it up to max 50mph

Just gave it one hard off the line start and one up hill pedal to floor to see what the demo could do. I was impressed with the power after 20mph got up to 75mph going up hill pretty fast.

This truck will have to be babied and that's why I want a 4.3L just enough power to pull the fishing boat and get around town. My motorcycle on the other hand yeah I ride it hard up-shifting.

Yeah I think the highway cruising in truck will be crazy good. I'm buying this truck because I have my 1997 C2500 Long-Box for my lawn care business. Want something to go to walmart & home depot and the occasional road trip. I'm so tired of packing my Socket set/toolbox/extra fluids and have the best roadside assistance praying my C2500 doesn't break down or maybe not run in the winter. Or not being able to make it up to the gun range or out of the boat launch in 2wd. Don't get me wrong my C2500 runs and drives likes brand new. Going to keep her forever.

UUGGHHH you should not have put that picture up I just drooled all over my keyboard!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
If its a 2wd, it probably had 3.23 gears, if its 4wd it prolly had 3.08 gears. Which would explain the idling up and slow to get going. If you can find one with 3.42 gears, it will feel much better and will idle up nice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
All 2014 4.3 V6's 4wd trucks have 3.42 gears.

I like your old truck, OP. I can tell you that I'm absolutely in love with my 14 Sierra 4.3 4X4. I've been very happy with the six speed transmission and am averaging about 18.5 mpg in about 60/40 (city/hwy) driving. For the most part, shifts are quite smooth.

·
Registered
427 Posts

You might want to wait and test drive a 2015 Colorado WT 2 V6 Extended cab long bed with the trailer tow package, that has posi - track it is part of the package.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at buying a 2014 Double-Cab 1500 4.3L 4x4 WT2

Dealership let me take out a 2014 1500 CrewCab WT1 4.3L 4x4.

Pulled out on the highway and truck felt rough. My 1997 Silverado is way smoother in the arms/seat.
Brother in the back felt vibration and so did I.

I believe it was the tires. Cheap bridgestone duelers. Felt like they had flat spots from sitting. Went away after about 10 minutes.

I also notice from a dead stop the truck didn't idle ahead. You have to give it some gas to get it going? Newest truck I have ever owned is my 1997 C2500 so maybe a new truck thing. I think the idle should be turned up lol.

Truck had posi-traction and would squeal the tires for about 2 seconds from a dead stop. Sounds like a V8 in the cab. Not that good off the line. Truck feels heavy and gas pedal feels almost limited. Like governed from a rental car agency.

The 4X4 4.3l you drove should be equivalent to your 1997 5.7l in pretty much every way, and get a lot better gas mileage.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/ck-2500-series/1997/features-specs/?style=12315

5.7l ext cab had a 7000lb tow capacity (non SAE rated), my 2014 4.3l ext cab has a 6700lb SAE rated tow capacity.

Your 5.7l has 330lbs torque, 25lbs more than the 4.3l. You have 255hp with the 5.7l, the 4.3l has 30hp more at 285. (and the 4.3l is 297hp/330lbs torque on E85)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-silverado-v-6-instrumented-test-review

This helped our V-6–powered Silverado turn a quarter-mile time of 15.7 seconds at 89 mph. That’s a tenth of a second faster than the 6.0-liter V-8 “VortecMAX” Silverado we tested back in 2007. But there is a catch: We had E85 in the tank this time....Burning just gas, our quarter-mile time increased to 16 seconds flat at 87 mph.
So the 4.3l is either 1/10th of a second faster, or 2/10ths of a second slower than a 2007 6l Silverado. (and should be comparable to your 5.7 unless it's modified, and you could modify the 4.3l as well)

The "running out of highway" and "feels like it has a governor" stuff just isn't true. The performance numbers show the new six is pretty much the equivalent of the old V8s.

I grew up in the 70s and the new ways are hard for me to get used to as well, but modern V6s are equivalent to the old small block V8s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts