GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick: which automobile manufacturer sells a large, front-wheel drive sedan with a V6 engine that features variable valve timing, the ability to seamlessly switch off three cylinders to improve fuel economy, and which runs on fuel containing up to 85% ethanol?

If you said Honda, you'd be close, but wrong - the Accord isn't currently E85 compatible (see the accompanying E85 sidebar). Believe it or not, the automaker responsible for producing that technological triple-threat would be Chevrolet, and those stats pertain to an Impala model that's built in Ontario at GM's Oshawa Assembly plant.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/be/08impala_e85.htm

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The Impala is just a solid car. If I weren't buying an apartment, I'd be trying to get into one of those.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
The Impala seems to do some things quite well. I just hope the next generation sees further improvements in those things it does well while simultaneously Welburn et al. manage to add just a little bit of pizzazz.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you said Honda, you'd be close, but wrong - the Accord isn't currently E85 compatible (see the accompanying E85 sidebar).

Odd that this Canadian publication makes a big deal out of the E85 compatibility. There are only 3 stations in Canada and they're all in Ontario.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
It's a very good looking car, ZZZZZZZ all you want, it's bread and butter sedans and their profits that make the low volume stuff like the CTS V and ZR1 possible. Dream about the glory days all you want, yes there were 396 and 427 Impala SS available but the car that made Chevrolet money and that the majority of customers bought was closer to todays Impala that some might care to imagine, or "whats so exciting about a 4 door 283 2 barrel 2 speed Powerglide Impala sedan that they sold millions of through the 60's"

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2008 ltz. love the car but the fuel mileage stinks.Hi way driving and around town doesnt meet
the mileage requirements that gm gives these w bodys. But i do like the better ride since the ltz has 18 inch tires.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I'm renting a Flex-Fuel '08 Impala LT right now but the closest E85 pump to Greeneville, TN is in Knoxville, 80 miles away. A month or so ago I did run a rented '08 Impala LS on E85 for a tank and still averaged 24MPG in city and suburb driving.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
It's a very good looking car, ZZZZZZZ all you want, it's bread and butter sedans and their profits that make the low volume stuff like the CTS V and ZR1 possible. Dream about the glory days all you want, yes there were 396 and 427 Impala SS available but the car that made Chevrolet money and that the majority of customers bought was closer to todays Impala that some might care to imagine, or "whats so exciting about a 4 door 283 2 barrel 2 speed Powerglide Impala sedan that they sold millions of through the 60's"
Add also, some rare Impala including the Super Sport trim with ...the 6-cyl engine who was more popular in the Biscayne and Bel Air line-ups. (Ford and Plymouth also had once a 6-cyl version in their Galaxie/LTD and full-size Fury around the same era)

Odd that this Canadian publication makes a big deal out of the E85 compatibility. There are only 3 stations in Canada and they're all in Ontario.
maybe a big push to boost the popularity of E85 in Canada

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
This car is a great value. It is possiblt that there is no better value than this. This Loaded LTZ that was tested can be bought new for around 25k!
Musty be some hefty rebates on that puppy then, because that car loaded is almost 29k in the US.

Of course it's 36 grand here, even though our money is worth more... oh well.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Impala is even more compelling when buying used. As a new car, well . . . The depreciation is pretty steep.
I may go for a 1 year old low mileage. Problem is, if you need a loan you get 0% for 60 with new and 6-7% for a used so you gain nothing unless you can get a really good deal.

In Canada you also still get a $1000 government rebate for 2008 flex-fuel cars, Impala included.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.