GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla spotted testing Ram 1500 TRX high performance pickup at California factory
April 20, 2021
By Gary Gastelu

Tesla is aiming to make the Cybertruck the high-performance pickup champ and it's been getting an up-close look at the current titleholder.

Video of Tesla's Fremont factory complex shot by an independent drone pilot revealed a Ram 1500 TRX parked on the facility's test track.

The 702 horsepower TRX is the most powerful production pickup ever built and capable of accelerating to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds, according to Car and Driver, while Tesla claims the Cybertruck will be able to do it in less than 2.9 seconds.

More at link

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know what I was expecting with the Tesla truck, fast acceleration a definite, but the way it looks I wasn't thinking it would be targeting off-road fun. My thought was this will be built to attract techy types and never go off road and therefore be built as such.

With Elon's sense of humor, I wonder if this ugly looking show car they've been hauling around is a joke and looks nothing like what they'll actually build?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Maybe it's my age, but I'd be embarrassed to be seen in that Cybertruck. It's basically void of practicality. Well, then so is the TRX for that matter.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
The cybertruck is ridiculously ugly. I would never own one.

Reactions: 09W

·
Registered
211 Posts
Maybe it's my age, but I'd be embarrassed to be seen in that Cybertruck. It's basically void of practicality. Well, then so is the TRX for that matter.
Whether it is butt ugly or futuristic is a matter of opinion.

Practicality is not opinion. Cybertruck will rank very high on that score.

Total Cost of Ownership will be best in class.

Scratch resistance will be very high versus painted trucks.

There will be massive amounts of lockable storage. Especially under the front hood.

It will have massive torque at 0 rpm.

It will have serious off road capability.

You will be able to power tools right from the truck for longer periods than any truck.

The one weakness will likely be time to tow heavy items over long distances. This will be the talking point of Tesla haters, even ones that never tow anything other than maybe a jet ski.

·
Registered
211 Posts
. My thought was this will be built to attract techy types and never go off road and therefore be built as such.

With Elon's sense of humor, I wonder if this ugly looking show car they've been hauling around is a joke and looks nothing like what they'll actually build?
Cybertruck was designed to go after the heart of the pickup market.

No, Tesla delivers vehicles very close to the concept.

Tesla superfans think Cybertruck will destroy demand for Detroit pickups.

I think Tesla will sell every truck they can build without discount or even advertising. But almost entirely to non Detroit pickup owners. For tribal identification reasons. I think Tesla and its investors/fans underestimate the resistance to change among the most conservative segment of vehicle owners. Small c conservative not necessarily politically conservative.

Japanese truck owners will be much more likely to consider the Cybertruck. Heck, just everyday sedan CUV and small SUV owners. People who always liked the utility of pickups but didn't want to pay the fuel bills every week for one when they only needed the utility occasionally .

·
Premium Member
35,652 Posts
I think that's Elon's Ram they're tearing around in. He wanted to upgrade his image.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,109 Posts
They're trying to figure out how to get that tin can Cyber Truck to hold up like the Ram when performing like that. lmao.

·
Premium Member
35,652 Posts
Tesla should worry about Rivian and Lordstown, RAM is in another world all together
Maybe they want to hedge their bets, and build a gasser or two. Eh?

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I don't know what I was expecting with the Tesla truck, fast acceleration a definite, but the way it looks I wasn't thinking it would be targeting off-road fun. My thought was this will be built to attract techy types and never go off road and therefore be built as such.

Come on it's not that bad. I used to draw the exact same truck in 3rd grade when I was bored.

Realistically though the first time I saw it I thought this is totally b.s. just to get free advertising. All of the other vehicles in the lineup including the 18 wheelers look like a sleek version of what would be typical in the class. No big jumps to shock anyone or scare off potential buyers. I still think it's a big game and we will see a much more realistic vehicle at the final reveal.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I still believe that the CT is an April Fool's joke that ran too long...fingers crossed that they reveal a production version that looks something like :

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Unlikely, given there's already a steady stream of 3rd parties lining up to accessorize the CT, including this camper system that apparently has $50m in pre-orders.
That's crazy that people are throwing this amount of money at products that don't exist yet. I wouldn't count them as typical buyers.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
That's crazy that people are throwing this amount of money at products that don't exist yet. I wouldn't count them as typical buyers.
The crazier part is that I don't even think Tesla has even finalized the dimensions of the CT. Last I heard it was going to be downsized a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts