GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
4,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Tesla has recalled more than one million vehicles, including some cars from its Model 3, Model Y, Models S and Model X series
  • The window automatic system of some Teslas may not detect obstructions, meaning that as they close, they could pinch fingers in their way
  • Tesla said there hasn't been any reports of injuries due to the fault, and that all affected vehicles will received a software update
  • Those with affected cars will be notified by Tesla by November 13
Tesla will perform an 'over-the-air' update of the automatic window reversal system. OTAs, as they are known by Tesla owners, are improvements sent to the vehicle wirelessly - like software updates on your phone.
The recall covers the 2017-2022 Model 3, 2020-2021 Model Y, and 2021-2022 Model S and Model X series, and those with affected cars will be notified by Tesla by November 13.

The company said it was not aware of any warranty claims, field reports, crashes, injuries, or deaths related to the defect.

NHTSA said the vehicles failed to comply with the requirements of a federal motor vehicle safety standard on power windows.

Tesla said during product testing in August employees identified window automatic reversal system performance that had 'greater than expected variations in response to pinch detection.'

After extensive additional testing, Tesla determined the vehicles pinch detection and retraction performance in the test results did not meet automatic reversal systems requirements.

Tesla said starting September 13, vehicles in production and in pre-delivery received a software update that sets power operated windows to the requirements.

Tesla's shares fell 0.8% on Thursday morning, according to Bloomberg. This isn't the first OTA update the automaker has had to make, and recalls of this nature don’t typically affect auto stocks.

This also isn't the first time Tesla has had to contend with faulty windows.
In 2019, Musk endured an embarrassing episode when the company's new Cybertruck saw its windows crack easily during a live strength test demonstration.

Tesla boasted that the vehicle, touted as the electric truck of the future, was made of the same stainless steel used in rockets and that it could withstand any blow.

To prove it, Tesla Designer Franz von Holzhausen pitched a steel ball at the futuristic-looking vehicle's windows, which unexpectedly cracked under the pressure of the impact.

Musk had claimed the only reason the windows cracked was because Holzhausen had been allegedly hitting the windows with a sledgehammer in prior tests.

LINK

Never had this problem with good ole hand crank windows (Unless you were self masochist)

Good ole hand crank wind windows the-way-to-go, no software fixes, recalls or subscriptions required LOL.

·
Premium Member
37,221 Posts
Who leaves their fingers on the window sill? People who read this blurb and want to make big bucks on a lawsuit? :cry:
I see a few guys who drive with their arm hanging out the window and elbow on the sill, it's usually old beater PUTs or construction trucks. And often they have a cigarette in hand. Which I think is The Ultimate Cool.
I'm not sure this describes typical Tesla drivers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
21,771 Posts
I have to admit that long ago I got myself caught in the automatic window. It was one of my GTP's ('94 and '02). I don't even know exactly how I did it, just remember I was backing up and somehow hit the window button while my left arm was in the window. I don't think there was any sensor on it - had the grip of death on me - to much going on with the surprise of the window while backing up in a tight area.

·
Premium Member
37,221 Posts
Well, GTP, I see only one option. You must travel on down to the nearest Window Police station and turn yourself in. It's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I have to admit that long ago I got myself caught in the automatic window. It was one of my GTP's ('94 and '02). I don't even know exactly how I did it, just remember I was backing up and somehow hit the window button while my left arm was in the window. I don't think there was any sensor on it - had the grip of death on me - to much going on with the surprise of the window while backing up in a tight area.
That must have felt below average.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
In a related story, Tesla owners ranked their cars #1 in overall satisfaction and reliability!

Nothing against Tesla. Lots of cool stuff there. But there's a big cult element.

·
Banned
4,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next up a mandatory sticker on everyone window showing how you should keep your head and fingers out of the area to avoid serious injury. Maybe a rip off tag like on mattresses :)

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
In a related story, Tesla owners ranked their cars #1 in overall satisfaction and reliability!

Nothing against Tesla. Lots of cool stuff there. But there's a big cult element.
Say you don’t like Ford or Chevy and everyone nods….say you don’t like Tesla and they look at you funny and question your parentage. Cult much?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Who leaves their fingers on the window sill? People who read this blurb and want to make big bucks on a lawsuit? :cry:
I see a few guys who drive with their arm hanging out the window and elbow on the sill, it's usually old beater PUTs or construction trucks. And often they have a cigarette in hand. Which I think is The Ultimate Cool.

The auto-reversing power window system was developed after young children were asphyxiated, with some dying, when their necks were crushed between the window glass and window frame, after stepping or leaning on the power window door switch.

Many manufacturers have also redesigned the power window switches so they do not protrude and can be easily activated by young children climbing on the door armrest while the vehicle is stopped, but the power still activated.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
15+ years ago I was talking to an acquaintance in a parking lot in winter (quite cold). He had a mid-range audi, had driven up, put the window down to talk for a bit. When we finished and he was ready to drive off, the window would not raise. Apparently the heat from the interior and the freezing cold outside had formed ice crystals in the window channels, which the window' read' as an obstruction, and he was forced to drive off in sub-freezing temps with the window wide open.
Perhaps they've fixed that by now; IDK.

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
I have the perfect solution for this problem. Windows that go up and down with a hand crank! Brilliant!

·
Banned
4,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
15+ years ago I was talking to an acquaintance in a parking lot in winter (quite cold). He had a mid-range audi, had driven up, put the window down to talk for a bit. When we finished and he was ready to drive off, the window would not raise. Apparently the heat from the interior and the freezing cold outside had formed ice crystals in the window channels, which the window' read' as an obstruction, and he was forced to drive off in sub-freezing temps with the window wide open.
Perhaps they've fixed that by now; IDK.
It's still happening, an ex work colleague was using his electric motor as an up & down ice scraper on his Audi, yep the glass fell down inside door took him ages to fix it.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,237 Posts
The younguns in their hick pick em ups like to do that . They look like something that hasn't quite left the primate stage and developed into humans :D
Every time I hit myself in the head with a hammer, it hurts like the d!ckens. Why are hammers with this defect still on the market?
You need to remember then to keep your head out of the away...... :giggle: :D🤪.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,237 Posts
I've had the instance a few times when toggling/using the window switch on my Equinox and I push it a bit too far in the up direction and it goes into the auto up mode. All the once ya gotta move fast and get outta the way, or quickly kill the direction it's going with a jab to the other direction on the switch :eek::D. Yikes......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts