GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
It pains me to watch this. And it pains me to say that I can't see them surviving. I still believe the folks who founded Tesla did not truly comprehend how expensive it is to actually design and then build cars. We all know it costs billions to bring out a new platform and drivetrain, and yet Tesla planned to do it on a shoestring budget. It just wasn't feasible, and now they're in serious trouble.

And looking at the number of cars they've built, they're still so far behind 2008 builds they simply can't catch up. Sure, "demand" may be there but they're not even close to meeting it. At present they have 27 cars out the door but the waiting list that I saw back in the Spring was about 1200, when the first car went out the door. At this rate they'll get those 1200 customers their cars by 2028.

The other worrying aspect of the various announcements I've seen the past 2 days is that they're planning on laying off design members for the sedan. That's bad news as it will push the sedan out further than the few months delay Tesla is claiming.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like a serious underestimation of the costs of actually designing and building a modern car in today's world.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts