Premium Member
News Contributor
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla Offers Roadster Upgrade Package for 400-Mile Range
Bloomberg News
By Jamie Butters
December 26, 2014

Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA:US), the electric-carmaker, is offering a suite of upgrades to the sporty two-seater it no longer sells that will give owners as much as a 400-mile range, enough to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Improved battery technology can provide 31 percent more energy than the original Roadster cells, the Palo Alto, California-based company said in a blog posted on its website. Combined with an aerodynamics kit, new tires and improvements to wheel bearings and brakes, range can be increased as much as 50 percent compared with the original Roadster, Tesla said. The company didn’t say what it will charge for the upgrades, which it collectively calls Roadster 3.0.

“There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles,” Tesla said in the blog item. “We will be demonstrating this in the real world during a non-stop drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the early weeks of 2015.”

*Full Article at Link

Tesla Roadster 3.0

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
cool + good PR and one of those things you can do as TESLA that would NEVER happen from BMW/FORD/Toyota

I wonder on cost and is it a full kit or are parts available separately IE the aero and NOT the batteries?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Nice to see that Tesla is willing to develop upgrades for vehicles it no longer produces. It will be interesting to see how it will operate moving forward, if this will be common or not.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
This indeed is very surprising...Tesla continuing R/D and offering upgrades for past models it no longer produces doesn't quite go along with the ideal of typical automakers, let alone silicon valley companies. I figured they'd be more like a tech company where they expect you to scrap it and buy a new one every year or two

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Why the hell can't GM do this with one or two of it's cars?

Constant support even after the car is no longer made.

Hell, partial support!
This sounds like the equivalent of an engine swap for an ICE, i.e. expensive. I bet most people would prefer a new car vs. the expense of an engine swap. Could be cheaper for the Tesla - just swap out the old batter pack for a new one. New tires for the Tesla? Already an extensive aftermarket for regular cars to upgrade, granted there is no factory testing to tell us if the upgrade is a real improvement or not....

But I like the concept to apply to other areas of a car. I'd be happy to upgrade my CUE to the newest version (there are some small changes in the 2015 version of CUE that I'd like in my 2013. They could also build cars so the consumer can upgrade to higher level trims. Again for example I'd willingly pay to get the light tubes in my ATS, but my dealer told me the wiring likely isn't there and it wasn't a good idea to mess with the wiring harness. Just design the vehicles to be able to easily accept after the fact "factory" upgrades and I bet it would be a nice, profitable revenue stream.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
This sounds like the equivalent of an engine swap for an ICE, i.e. expensive. I bet most people would prefer a new car vs. the expense of an engine swap. Could be cheaper for the Tesla - just swap out the old batter pack for a new one. New tires for the Tesla? Already an extensive aftermarket for regular cars to upgrade, granted there is no factory testing to tell us if the upgrade is a real improvement or not....

But I like the concept to apply to other areas of a car. I'd be happy to upgrade my CUE to the newest version (there are some small changes in the 2015 version of CUE that I'd like in my 2013. They could also build cars so the consumer can upgrade to higher level trims. Again for example I'd willingly pay to get the light tubes in my ATS, but my dealer told me the wiring likely isn't there and it wasn't a good idea to mess with the wiring harness. Just design the vehicles to be able to easily accept after the fact "factory" upgrades and I bet it would be a nice, profitable revenue stream.
Not really because I think of my Allante I was collecting. It made me so mad that GM had long stop supporting electronic components of the car so you could not buy some new parts at all. You had to find someone to mail your old items to and have them reconditioned. I had to part with the car because of these types of issues. Musk is a beast and I love how aggressive and forward thinking he is. This type of action will make people life long buyers of the car brand.

As you stated we can not expect engine swaps, though GM is great and supporting their V8 engines, but we want GM to support updates for technology and electronics.

Edit: After thinking about it in their own way Gm does do this for older models to a degree if you think about it.(power-train)

·
Registered
9,570 Posts

on Tesla's side I would imagine it would be more on the line of a long range fuel tank upgrade VS a engine swap in a ICE car as I would imagine there would be almost NO retesting required beyond internal ones and the engineering would be mostly getting the NEW cells to fit the OLD space and assume the new cells are also used in the model S and/OR a upcoming car
and for the "rest" of the upgrade I BET most Nissan LEAF buyers would pay for a upgrade that delivered a TRUE-Honest 100 + miles range

GM has a history of actually getting in the way of owners "upgrading" there own rides with GM parts
ask 09 G8 owners about BlueTooth with was EVEN ADVERTISED as feature on there car but NOT INCLUDED and to add it you need a different # OnStar box BUT GM will NOT sell/allow to be sold the box in question and if you get one used it can NOT be installed and work properly as GM will NOT "regreen" it to pair with a different car and if installed and you tell OnStar what you did OnStar will cancel you plan and black list you VIN!!!

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
This indeed is very surprising...Tesla continuing R/D and offering upgrades for past models it no longer produces doesn't quite go along with the ideal of typical automakers, let alone silicon valley companies. I figured they'd be more like a tech company where they expect you to scrap it and buy a new one every year or two
Correcting a short coming, selling batteries and bringing lapsed Tesla buyers back into the fold?
I'd call that smart business move, makes the cars more usable but also much easier to sell.
An effective way to transition existing buyers into more new Teslas?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Correcting a short coming, selling batteries and bringing lapsed Tesla buyers back into the fold?
I'd call that smart business move, makes the cars more usable but also much easier to sell.
An effective way to transition existing buyers into more new Teslas?
and also allows Tesla to sell the coupes for MORE MONEY on trade in

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
None of these upgrades are going to be free, and Tesla even said they have no idea how much these upgrades are going to cost.

I applaud Tesla for continuing r&d on a discontinued car, but this isn't some altruistic gesture on Tesla's part. The owners are going to pay and it's not going to be some $995 deal, either.

That said, it's good business to do this because the clientele is loyal, receptive, and can afford to pay.

Reactions: SRFCTY

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't think we should underestimate how big of a deal this is.

This is factory support and R&D for a vehicle they no longer produce and all of a sudden a new Tesla becomes a better buy. This is because customers know they can invest in a product they will know will not be as obsolete as last night's leftovers in a couple of years time, as Tesla will continue to support them.

I can see moves like this continue to shore up resale on the rest of the lineup.

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Not really because I think of my Allante I was collecting. It made me so mad that GM had long stop supporting electronic components of the car so you could not buy some new parts at all. You had to find someone to mail your old items to and have them reconditioned. I had to part with the car because of these types of issues. Musk is a beast and I love how aggressive and forward thinking he is. This type of action will make people life long buyers of the car brand.

As you stated we can not expect engine swaps, though GM is great and supporting their V8 engines, but we want GM to support updates for technology and electronics.

Edit: After thinking about it in their own way Gm does do this for older models to a degree if you think about it.(power-train)
I agree, but not sure where you are disagreeing with me as you started out with "not really".....

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
This is a very interesting tactic! Anyone know how many roadsters were sold? I agree with those that think this is a smart marketing move; not only does it encourage Tesla owners to keep their cars and even invest in them, it also will go a long way to convincing potential new customers that Tesla is going to support their vehicles for a long time to come. I'm curious to see how many people will take advantage of this, but I give Tesla points for originality!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I was researching Lotus and came across a figure between 2400 and 2500 Tesla Roadsters built between 2008 and January 2012. Lotus supplied the base car from it's factory in Hethel, Norfolk in England. The final assembly was completed in California.

This is a very interesting tactic! Anyone know how many roadsters were sold? I agree with those that think this is a smart marketing move; not only does it encourage Tesla owners to keep their cars and even invest in them, it also will go a long way to convincing potential new customers that Tesla is going to support their vehicles for a long time to come. I'm curious to see how many people will take advantage of this, but I give Tesla points for originality!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts