GM Inside News Forum banner

Tesla Model S Plaid laps Nürburgring in 7:30.909, production electric record

3K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  sdotjeezy 
#1 ·
Tesla Model S Plaid laps Nürburgring in 7:30.909, production electric record
by Jameson Dow

A Plaid Tesla Model S has set a new electric lap record at the famous Nürburgring Nordschleife racetrack in Germany, with a lap time of 7:30.909. This beats the Porsche Taycan’s time by nearly 12 seconds, and is quite competitive with the gas-powered competition as well.
The 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo set a 7:29.81 last year on the same longer configuration, which puts the Model S just 1 second behind the 4-door model from one of the world’s most respected racing marques. At the time this was a record for a production full-size car (also known as “E-segment” in Europe or “executive car” in the UK), but later that year the Mercedes AMG GT63 S set a 7:27.80 lap time. A second means a lot in racing, but on such a long lap as this, these times are virtually identical.

There is one 4-door still faster than each of these, the Jaguar XE Project 8, but it does not have rear seats, so doesn’t really fit into the same category.
Getting out of the 4-door category, the Model S Plaid’s lap even matches some sports cars that it has no business competing with. For example, the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 set a 7:29.90 – but we believe that was on the shorter 20,600 m configuration, which would put the Tesla ahead by a second or two.
More at link above.

See less See more
Reactions: BlackGTP
#2 ·
According to tweet from Musk, this was an unmodified car straight from the factory. Good to see EVs showing they can tackle challenging roads on par with the best of the ICE vehicles of the same category. A lot of people were dismissing EVs as only good for straight-line acceleration. That hasn't been the case for a while but the perception lingers. So good to see more data points like this.

I suspect this will prompt Porsche to try to beat this time. They still have the Taycan Turbo S up their sleeve (their previous time was with the Turbo). And that should hopefully prompt Tesla to push harder to get the Plaid+ out and so on :D

#9 ·
I don’t think I have ever heard anyone dismissing EV’s as only straight line monsters. I think that might be the focus because the pull they have is excellent but that doesn’t mean they can’t be good at turning as well.

They should be awesome at a road course lap because the super low CG that the batteries create is perfect for handling and the insane torque helps them come off the corners while always being in the perfect gear. The only thing that’s a slight negative about a hero lap is the weight which is more than offset by everything else.

#4 ·
I wonder what my Soul will pull at the 'ring. Oh wait. I'm not planning on running it there. Nor has anyone here run the 'ring. But I guess this is an achievement. Congrats, Elon.

Now, get a new girlfriend, this one is super weird and highly unintelligent.

#14 ·
FWIW:

Fastest Nurburgring lap times (production cars) 2021
  • Porsche 911 GT2 RS MR - 6.43.300s.
  • Mercedes-AMG Black Series - 6:43.616s.
  • Lamborghini Aventador SVJ - 6:44.97s.
  • Porsche 911 GT2 RS - 6:47.3s.
  • Lamborghini Huracan Performante - 6:52:01s.
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991.2) - 6:56.4s.
  • Porsche 918 Spyder (Weissach Package) - 6:57s.

#18 ·
I do have one question about EV'S in general.

Let me know if this is the norm where you live. If you have a EV you get special plates that allow you to drive in the carpool lane.

My question is will this continue? Will people who have a EV continue to be issued this special plate allowing them to drive in the carpool lane? Or will this be fazed out as the number of EV'S get over 50%, 60%, and up?

#21 ·
I have to say that that is impressive.

#24 ·
It's going to be a long time before there are more EV's on the road than ICE vehicles

People hang on to their cars for about 10 years right?

So if the last ICE powered vehicles are sold in say 2030-2034 then they will still be driven up until around 2040-2045 by the most stubborn, died in the wool ICE followers

And thats just private vehicles

Larger trucks and commercials will still be Diesel/Petrol powered for many years to come after that

#29 ·
Lets be honest with ourselves for a little as well...all of these cars' posted laptimes are hero laps...does anyone think that the Blackwings can run those record laps at VIR over and over again? Those Michelin tires are good for 1 hero lap per set....same with this Tesla, except its the tires AND the battery/motor.

And is it me, or did he have to fight that Tesla a little more than normal...that car really gets out of sorts under hard braking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.