GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60

Hawthorne Airport is just about exactly under the flight path of LAX, and you’ll see a big red sign with Tesla’s name on it stretched across one of the larger hangers there. Next door is SpaceX, Elon Musk’s rocket factory. It’s a little slice of what California was like in the golden era after the war, and Musk is doing an impeccable impression of Howard Hughes. That's where I am for the unveiling of the Tesla Model S P85D and its less nutty siblings. It's a monster.

As Musk told the assembled crowd, "We were able to improve almost everything about the car, which is a rare thing."

The short of it is this, you can now get the Model S with dual motors. The new setup adds a medium-sized motor just behind the front axle and makes the cars all-wheel drive. All three new models—the 60D, 85D, and P85D—use the same 188-hp front motor. The 60D and 85D use it on the rear axle as well. The supercar-grade P85D, however, keeps the existing 470-hp motor in back for a monstrous 691-hp / 687 lb-ft combo.

The dual-motor setup Tesla shaves a second from the already quick P85’s 0-60 time. The P85D hits that mark in just 3.2 seconds. That’s faster than a Dodge Charger Hellcat or a Porsche Panamera Turbo S. The quarter mile mark arrives in 11.8 seconds. It feels incredible from inside the car—electric motors hum hard and then 60 happens. Almost instantly. Musk said that they benchmarked the McLaren F1 for acceleration performance. If not for the badge in back and the red brake calipers, you'd be hard pressed to tell the P85D from the regular single-motor P85.

Both the 60D and 85D shave two tenths off their acceleration and quarter-mile times and add 10 miles of range, the latter thanks to the additional regen capacity from the second motor. The 85D will now travel 295 miles on a single charge—tantalizingly close to the magic 300-mile mark. The 60D will travel 225 miles before needing to be plugged back in.

More at Link

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hellcat Challengers doing 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, Hellcat Chargers doing it in half a second quicker, and now zero emission vehicles doing it in a scant 3.2.

Anyone who once thought that CAFE and so-called "Government Regs" meant the demise of performance....and still thinks that, you may want to take your meds now.....triple dose.

As long as there's a market for insanity laced, stupid quick cars, someone's going to find a way to make them available..... and make money on them in the process.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Hellcat Challengers doing 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, Hellcat Chargers doing it in half a second quicker, and now zero emission vehicles doing it in a scant 3.2.

Anyone who once thought that CAFE and so-called "Government Regs" meant the demise of performance....and still thinks that, you may want to take your meds now.....triple dose.

As long as there's a market for insanity laced, stupid quick cars, someone's going to find a way to make them available..... and make money on them in the process.
Availability won't be the problem it will be affordability. I'm afraid the Hellcat might be looked back on in a couple short years as one of the last great bargains with regards to high hp cars.

Sure you'll be able to get Turbo 4's with more and more hp all the time since that's where the vast majority of the capitol is going but it's just not the same.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
Availability won't be the problem it will be affordability. I'm afraid the Hellcat might be looked back on in a couple short years as one of the last great bargains with regards to high hp cars.

Sure you'll be able to get Turbo 4's with more and more hp all the time since that's where the vast majority of the capitol is going but it's just not the same.
As time goes on, technology improves in speed and capacity and decreases in price. Moore's Law applies here.

When $20,000 family sedans with 4 cylinder engines are as fast as big honkin cars with big honkin envies were in the 60s and 70s, you know speed will continue to get cheaper.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The electromagnetic brakes and autopilot feature are the real story here, super impressive. Dual motors were bound to happen, nevertheless it's still striking. What's the absurd price tag going to be?

Allo Cadillac

Do you also look at what happens at Tesla? That's the future. Imitating the Germans was good for the 90s.
Compare Tesla's Q3 and Q4 financial statements to the Germans.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
If I suddenly had a bunch of money to throw at a sedan, this would very likely win. Between the technical accomplishment and the performance it actually seems worthy of the price. Rather have this than an old school luxury car covered in exotic baubles!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I love how this is considered so fascinating when it is common sense! Add individual electric motors to each wheel bam AWD. More weight slightly better performance yadda yadda yadda it still is an all electric car that cost to much for what it is. We need a mainstream 30k or less now. The first automaker to crack the secret code which is a, "Full electric, 250 plus range, nice looking, well equipped, affordable =30K out the door or less" wins this whole charade.

·
Registered
44,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I remember when Cadillac touted CTS-V as the "Fastest Sedan in the World." Except the Flying Spur has a higher top end, not to mention Panamera. Then people started making excuses... well, they mean 0-60 not top speed. Except even that wasn't true. Then people said "fastest mass produced" car instead. :brick:

Most technologically advanced? CT6 could be that. But didn't some Cadillac engineer or insider just say that there's no way CT6 would come close to S-Class?
S-Class already has an auto-drive feature. Audi is working on a feature similar to Tesla's AutoPilot system.

CT6 will ultimately be a very good car, probably a step or 2 higher than CTS. IT'll be competitive with the lower end flagships. But that's about it. I wouldn't expect anything truly ground-breaking at this stage. Perhaps at the MCE.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

I have an 11 yr old Escape with a v6 and 160,000 miles. My wife has a 1999 A4 Quattro with a turbo 4 and 110,000 miles. Having a normally-aspirated engine avoids 1 less issue in high mileage cars,

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I wonder how much work it would have taken to hit 708hp, and a "real" 2.9 0-60...

Extremely good numbers, and it definitely shows off the capability of the platform. They use the same 'AWD trick' under low-speed acceleration that the Trax/Encore uses, which is pretty neat. Plus, the drivetrain losses of the AWD system would be much less with EV-drive than a conventional drivetrain, so I'd be curious to see how much of a 'loss' there is at steady speed. More motors = more regen, so it should be more capable around town.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts