GM Inside News Forum banner

Tesla drivers are locked out of their cars, and can't start them after an outage struck the carmaker's app.

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  1958carnut 
Reminds me of when I purchased my 1999 Corvette coupe new - and took a vacation trip with my wire to rural section of a nearby state.

While stopped at a museum, the new electronic steering column lock system malfunctioned, preventing the car from being driven. I had to have the car towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealer, who hadn’t sold any Corvettes and was primarily a truck dealership.

The service department had to call Chevrolet technical assistance for help and instructions. My wife and I were stranded, and our travel plans ruined. It took several days to get the vehicle fixed - and we stayed in a local (rundown) motel, until the car was fixed.

GM later issued numerous TSB’s and eventually a safety recall. Their “fix” was to disconnect the feature, eliminating the anti-theft device which I paid for with my car. No compensation to the vehicle owner.

At least Tesla’s issue was resolved somewhat quickly, without having to tow the car to a dealer and wait several days for a fix.
By your name I wondered whether you would have run into that problem. My friend has made a living addressing that issue (he has two C5's and a C6).He designed a DIY solution for $50-$60 retail. He has sold thousands of these around the world with zero failures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.