GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage.

The Tesla app is used as a key by drivers to unlock their cars

Tesla drivers say they have been locked out of their cars after an outage struck the carmaker's app.
Dozens of owners posted on social media about seeing an error message on the mobile app that was preventing them from connecting to their vehicles.

Tesla chief executive Elon Musk personally responded to one complaint from a driver in South Korea, saying on Twitter: "Checking."

Mr Musk later said the app was coming back online.

The Tesla app is used as a key by drivers to unlock and start their cars.

Owners posted a multitude of complaints online about not being able to use their vehicles.

"I'm stuck an hour away from home because I normally use my phone to start [my] car," one owner tweeted.
About 500 users reported an error on the app at around 16:40 ET (21:40 GMT) on Friday, according to the outage tracking site DownDetector. Five hours later, there were just over 60 reports of an error.

"Apologies, we will take measures to ensure this doesn't happen again," Mr Musk tweeted.
The app is not the only way to access the cars though, Stuart Masson, editor of The Car Expert website, told the BBC.
"There will be a secondary mechanism to get in or out of the car beyond the app, the difficulty will come for drivers if they are not carrying it," he said.

"Technology makes things convenient, but relies on a server working 100% of the time. It's the same as leaving the house without my credit cards, expecting to pay for things with my smartphone. If we are reliant on one mechanism all the time, we can be caught out."

Professor David Bailey from the Birmingham Business School has written extensively on the automotive industry. He also drives a Tesla and experienced the outage on Friday.

"To some extent, Tesla is a bit of a victim of its own success," he told the BBC. "It encourages its customers to use the cutting edge technology it creates and sometimes that will go wrong.

"Although of course you can use a key to open the car too, the natural instinct of many Tesla drivers, who are buying one of the most high tech models in the market, is to rely on the technology."

LINK

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
So much for technology. Heaven Forbid :D if we had to do things the "normal way" once and a while instead of quick and "easy" newfangled "gimmicks" lol ;)

Reminds me of when I purchased my 1999 Corvette coupe new - and took a vacation trip with my wire to rural section of a nearby state.

While stopped at a museum, the new electronic steering column lock system malfunctioned, preventing the car from being driven. I had to have the car towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealer, who hadn’t sold any Corvettes and was primarily a truck dealership.

The service department had to call Chevrolet technical assistance for help and instructions. My wife and I were stranded, and our travel plans ruined. It took several days to get the vehicle fixed - and we stayed in a local (rundown) motel, until the car was fixed.

GM later issued numerous TSB’s and eventually a safety recall. Their “fix” was to disconnect the feature, eliminating the anti-theft device which I paid for with my car. No compensation to the vehicle owner.

At least Tesla’s issue was resolved somewhat quickly, without having to tow the car to a dealer and wait several days for a fix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage.

The Tesla app is used as a key by drivers to unlock their cars

Tesla drivers say they have been locked out of their cars after an outage struck the carmaker's app.
Dozens of owners posted on social media about seeing an error message on the mobile app that was preventing them from connecting to their vehicles.

Tesla chief executive Elon Musk personally responded to one complaint from a driver in South Korea, saying on Twitter: "Checking."
You can use Tesla key fob or Tesla key card (looks like credit card) to enter and use the Tesla vehicle despite the app being down ~ half an hour.

Or you could use your phones bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Reminds me of when I purchased my 1999 Corvette coupe new - and took a vacation trip with my wire to rural section of a nearby state.

While stopped at a museum, the new electronic steering column lock system malfunctioned, preventing the car from being driven. I had to have the car towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealer, who hadn’t sold any Corvettes and was primarily a truck dealership.

The service department had to call Chevrolet technical assistance for help and instructions. My wife and I were stranded, and our travel plans ruined. It took several days to get the vehicle fixed - and we stayed in a local (rundown) motel, until the car was fixed.

GM later issued numerous TSB’s and eventually a safety recall. Their “fix” was to disconnect the feature, eliminating the anti-theft device which I paid for with my car. No compensation to the vehicle owner.

At least Tesla’s issue was resolved somewhat quickly, without having to tow the car to a dealer and wait several days for a fix.
Should have stayed in a nicer motel.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
No problemo! Ditto no problemo when something goes all akimbo with your steering-wheel-free self-driving iKar at 75 on the interstate.

Don't worry be happy. This will all end well. Just go home and have a good sleep. (Italics is Neville Chamberlain's reassurance to the British people after getting some excellent piece of paper from 'dolf and friends.)

I don't think he meant THAT kind of sleep. 😖

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
It's pronounced rool and moe-tel. Just heppin' out when I can here.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Premium Member
35,138 Posts
No problemo! Ditto no problemo when something goes all akimbo with your steering-wheel-free self-driving iKar at 75 on the interstate.

Don't worry be happy. This will all end well. Just go home and have a good sleep. (Italics is Neville Chamberlain's reassurance to the British people after getting some excellent piece of paper from 'dolf and friends.)

I don't think he meant THAT kind of sleep. 😖
We are laughing at Chamberlain, Xi, just called our Sleeping one, old friend.. and he meant.. old…

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

By your name I wondered whether you would have run into that problem. My friend has made a living addressing that issue (he has two C5's and a C6).He designed a DIY solution for $50-$60 retail. He has sold thousands of these around the world with zero failures.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
By your name I wondered whether you would have run into that problem. My friend has made a living addressing that issue (he has two C5's and a C6).He designed a DIY solution for $50-$60 retail. He has sold thousands of these around the world with zero failures.

After the repair and getting home, I found a C5 column lock bypass system (from another forum). I bought and installed it, fearing getting stranded again.

After some time, I removed it and allowed GM to do the safety recall - which entailed disconnecting the electronic column lock feature.

I was probably one of your friend’s customers when I bought the column lock bypass kit and instructions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts