GM Inside News Forum banner

Tesla Cybertruck reaches 1.5 million pre-orders - Can it live up to the hype?

5794 Views 61 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  jpd80
Exclusive: Tesla Cybertruck reaches 1.5 million pre-orders – Can it live up to the hype?
Fred Lambert
Nov 22, 2022

Tesla Cybertruck is getting closer to production, and as the automaker’s first new model in three years, the company badly needs it to gain its momentum back.

But can the electric pickup truck live up to Elon Musk’s hype and the 1.5 million pre-orders?

Musk has been hyping the Cybertruck as not only Tesla’s best vehicle yet but as possibly the best product ever.

The CEO is known for his use of hyperbole, but he has some credibility when it comes to Tesla’s vehicle programs since each model has raised the bar in one way or the other in the auto industry.

While the launch of the vehicle in 2019 wasn’t without issue or criticism, with the unbreakable window demonstration failing and the polarizing design of the truck, the hype around it has been quite successful.

Musk announced that Tesla received over 250,000 reservations for the Cybertruck within a week of unveiling the vehicle.

Generally, Tesla receives a lot of reservations early after an unveiling, and then it tapers off – but that wasn’t the case with the Cybertruck.

Even throughout the pandemic, sources told us that some Tesla stores were getting hundreds of Cybertruck reservations per week, and Cybertruck pre-orders even helped boost sales.
By 2021, a crowdsourced Cybertruck reservation tally was putting the pre-orders at over 1 million units.
Now in 2022, the same tally put Tesla Cybertruck reservations at over 1.5 million units.
That’s unprecedented demand – though to be fair, Tesla is only asking for a $100 refundable deposit per reservation, which is not the strongest show of interest. But even if the actual order take rate ends up being relatively low, this is still extremely strong demand.

Lately, we have reported on several moves by Tesla showing progress in bringing the electric truck pickup truck to production at Gigafactory Texas. The company says that it is on track for starting production in mid-2023.

Electrek’s Take
I’m leaning toward yes. No matter what you think of Elon Musk or Tesla as a company, the automaker’s vehicle programs themselves have never disappointed.

Its latest, the Model Y, is on its way to becoming the best-selling car in the whole world.
Will the production Tesla Cybertruck live up to all the hype?

If Tesla would deliver the Cybertruck at the price point and with the specs originally announced in 2019, I think it would undoubtedly beat the Model Y.

However, I think it’s clear that’s not going to happen at this point. Tesla might stick to roughly similar specs, but the price would have to be likely 10-20% higher due to inflation over the last three years.
I think the price range of the Cybertruck will be closer to $50,000-$90,000, and Tesla will – as always – start with deliveries of the higher-end versions.

Even with the higher price, I think the program should be highly successful as long as the specs are similar. I get the brutalist appeal of the stainless steel, paintless body of the truck. Combined with the utility of the vehicle, I think a lot of people will see the Cybertruck rise on the top of their list for a new truck.

Tesla is putting all its top people on it, including David Zhang, Tesla’s longtime Model S and Model X program manager. Zhang also led the Model Y program for a year and did the same for the Cybertruck until the design was locked and going to production.

When it comes to the actual vehicles, I have never been disappointed by Tesla, and I don’t expect the Cybertruck to break the streak.

LINK
See less See more
  • Haha
  • Helpful
Reactions: 4
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
It looks like an April Fool's joke
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
Cybertruck looks dated very back to the future 70's like the Bond Bug slab wedge of cheese sold here with a tub on the back of Cybertruck, and another wheel of course.

The world moved on a bit since the Bond Bug thank God.

See less See more
  • Haha
There was no order, I put $100 down like everyone else. Worse comes to worse I’m out a hundy.
I was going to ask you the same thing. My boyfriend has a reservation and no date. I called him an idiot because I never heard of that but I guess I’m the fool for thinking that wasn’t the case. 😂
  • Helpful
^ It's not a hotel room (that already exists); how could there be a date?
These 'reservations' are just a slick way to grab quick cash
Reactions: 3
Imagining the looks when they invade the roads, on and off.
  • Wow
.... with the unbreakable window demonstration failing ....
I don't believe the windows were billed as "unbreakable" but as "bulletproof". And a demonstration of actual bulletproof glass would yield glass that is damaged like that. The bullet just doesn't PENETRATE, which is the purpose of bulletproof things.

Mind you, the steel balls thrown at the windows are not a valid "bulletproof" test, as that isn't anywhere near the penetrating force of a bullet fired at the glass.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
They could slap a chrome 'T' on a pile of dog doo and the Teslarati would call it the Next Big Thing. Oh wait, they did and it is the Cybertruck. It's hideous. GM would be eviscerated if it had vehicle introduction lead times like Tesla does. How about playing it a little closer to the vest until it's closer to production ready?
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
They could slap a chrome 'T' on a pile of dog doo and the Teslarati would call it the Next Big Thing. Oh wait, they did and it is the Cybertruck. It's hideous. GM would be eviscerated if it had vehicle introduction lead times like Tesla does. How about playing it a little closer to the vest until it's closer to production ready?
You’re letting your emotions get to you, Tesla will prevail in spite of the current internet wisdom, they don’t need our opinions as those buyers are coming form mostly non-truck buying pools exactly because Cybertruck is just so different. It’s polarising design is love or hate which only Tesla could get away with.

In saying that, it will be interested to see how many true orders there we versus things like stockholders and employees putting down a small deposit to whip up Tesla stock…..that to me is the big deal here, how many real orders will ther be.
  • Helpful
You’re letting your emotions get to you, Tesla will prevail in spite of the current internet wisdom, they don’t need our opinions as those buyers are coming form mostly non-truck buying pools exactly because Cybertruck is just so different. It’s polarising design is love or hate which only Tesla could get away with.

In saying that, it will be interested to see how many true orders there we versus things like stockholders and employees putting down a small deposit to whip up Tesla stock…..that to me is the big deal here, how many real orders will ther be.
I was trying to be funny/sarcastic towards the "can do no wrong" mindset of his fans, that's all.....no emotion.
Sorry, I shouldn’t have aimed criticism at you but your post in jest actually covers the perception of many who laugh at the almost devout Teslarai who refuse any criticism of their favourite brand. That said, the worst thing we can do is gauge Tesla by its devout followers, the new buyers coming in all over the world should be frightening the crap out legacy brands. The ones I feel sorry for are Toyota, Honda, VW and the German lux brands, they’re literally dying in their sleep, unaware how many of their return buyers are gone for good, GM and Ford being the stand out exceptions…
Sorry, I shouldn’t have aimed criticism at you but your post in jest actually covers the perception of many who laugh at the almost devout Teslarai who refuse any criticism of their favourite brand. That said, the worst thing we can do is gauge Tesla by its devout followers, the new buyers coming in all over the world should be frightening the crap out legacy brands. The ones I feel sorry for are Toyota, Honda, VW and the German lux brands, they’re literally dying in their sleep, unaware how many of their return buyers are gone for good, GM and Ford being the stand out exceptions…
I can take the critique, sometimes I feel I don't express myself properly or I'm far too "wordy" when simplicity would be better. Again, I don't care for his lack of humility (pride goeth before a fall and all that), but I do admire his out of the box thinking and his financial influence that helped Tesla begin the push to EV's. I don't like the man, I think the cars are overrated and overpriced BUT I totally appreciate what they've done for the auto industry and the diversification of public transportation. I do, however, see Tesla losing a great deal of market share partially due to the massive onslaught of new products from legacy marques AND from the better quality, dealer/repair network and lower costs due to economies of scale by those same legacy marques. Part of that is inevitable, part of it is because Tesla is a technology company that happens to make cars.
See less See more
Tesla will prevail in spite of the current internet wisdom, they don’t need our opinions as those buyers are coming form mostly non-truck buying pools exactly because Cybertruck is just so different. It’s polarising design is love or hate which only Tesla could get away with.
Firstly- there are no 'buyers' only 'reservation holders'. Also, I believe it was tremendous majority of EV truck reservers who have multiple reservations in on more than one brand, and I'll bet every single one of them is only buying 1 truck.

There have been numerous polarizing designs - some have done well, some have flopped. We'll see how the cybertrucklette does... if it ever gets here.
Reactions: 5
Firstly- there are no 'buyers' only 'reservation holders'. Also, I believe it was tremendous majority of EV truck reservers who have multiple reservations in on more than one brand, and I'll bet every single one of them is only buying 1 truck.

There have been numerous polarizing designs - some have done well, some have flopped. We'll see how the cybertrucklette does... IF it ever gets here.
Fixed it. Get it? A big if. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
  • Love
At this point, speculation is rife regarding actual buyer but it would be manifestly naive to suggest that most of them will evaporate with call for orders. It’s more likely that people not ordering high series vehicles will be bumped down the the build list by a few years….and that’s when Ford and GM should be offering BEV trucks for quicker delivery time, it’s a real selling opportunity if they’re geared up…
There have been numerous polarizing designs - some have done well, some have flopped. We'll see how the cybertrucklette does... if it ever gets here.
The whole point of Tesla offering such a wild design is to be completely different to conventional pickup, that should be the clue that this could be another cult following vehicle that doesn’t require the support of current conventional truck buyers, this could in fact be utility buyers purchasing their first ”truck”……
Reactions: 2
^ That's what people said about the Aztek, with it's pop-up tent and portable cooler. That's how the likewise stainless DeLorean was pitched. And we've all seen many EV proposals roll in the dirt because either the business case or the volume wasn't there. So IMO, the speculation at this point is around the Tesla truck being any kind of success. It's already flubbed a few key factors for being a pickup.
Volume certainly wasn’t there for the Aztek.
Over its 8 year calendar history it garnered a miserable ~120,000 paid votes of support, as compared to the current, albeit initial 1.5 million financial votes of interest in Cybertruck, so far.
^ That's what people said about the Aztek, with it's pop-up tent and portable cooler. That's how the likewise stainless DeLorean was pitched. And we've all seen many EV proposals roll in the dirt because either the business case or the volume wasn't there. So IMO, the speculation at this point is around the Tesla truck being any kind of success. It's already flubbed a few key factors for being a pickup.
With respect, that’s an unequal comparison because neither of those examples had anything like the kind of massive reservations that Cybertruck has. By all means be sceptical of how many real orders Tesla will have but know that Texas has a dedicated line being prepared for this product and that a huge sign of faith in those orders… so ther will be no hiding if this thing crashes and burns and equally, if this thing gets away with massive orders, the tide is gonna go way out on multiple brands’ utility sales and that won’t be pretty…

While ramp up is expected to happen in the second half of 2023, we should start seeing the ordering system fire up in eithe Q1 or Q2 next year.
How many reservations did the two vehicles I stated have? Oh, that's right - there were no 'reservations' then.

An 'unequal comparison'?
must....follow....groupthink....
That....goes.....for.....both.....sides......
1.5 Million $100 deposits. $1500000000.00 Yet Tucker was ousted as "Not a Car Maker" with 51 produced.
Remember, Tucker was sued for his "scheme".....Musk is worshiped.
41 - 60 of 62 Posts