GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM,

As a owner of more than 20 GM vehicles in my life, this may be the last. I ordered a 2015 Silverado 2500HD LT diesel over 3 months ago. This truck was finally built September 8th or 9th. The dealership has not received it yet (October 6th). The Chevrolet website that allows one (so it says) to follow the truck has been erratic at best. They have show it enroute on two different occasions and now show it at the dealership. If it is, Chevrolet used an invisible paint. Their chat line is of no help. GM gives no help to the dealership.

Does not a sold order have any type of priority? If not, why not? Sold orders should give GM an idea on what customers want on their vehicles.

Why does GM stonewall concerns over the built time and the terrible shipping standards and time on the vehicles?

A unhappy customer

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
GM,

As a owner of more than 20 GM vehicles in my life, this may be the last. I ordered a 2015 Silverado 2500HD LT diesel over 3 months ago. This truck was finally built September 8th or 9th. The dealership has not received it yet (October 6th). The Chevrolet website that allows one (so it says) to follow the truck has been erratic at best. They have show it enroute on two different occasions and now show it at the dealership. If it is, Chevrolet used an invisible paint. Their chat line is of no help. GM gives no help to the dealership.

Does not a sold order have any type of priority? If not, why not? Sold orders should give GM an idea on what customers want on their vehicles.

Why does GM stonewall concerns over the built time and the terrible shipping standards and time on the vehicles?

A unhappy customer
If the vehicle code is showing at the dealership its going to be there very soon most cases the delay is the truck delivering to other dealers and enroute to your dealership. All sold orders are marked with an "S" on the unit to indicate sold order but every unit as far as GM is concerned is a sold unit. We the dealers are paying floorplan by the estimated delivery date. I have had trucks not delivered by a month that we have paid floorplan on. If you think its bad waiting for a truck try waiting for one and paying for it. In the last year I have seen more delays on the sold orders and more incidents of the code 4b00. When I started 4b00 was a rare code I think this is GM striving to make sure the unit is right when it leaves the factory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Linton,

What is amazing is that GM cannot tell you, day by day when a vehicle is to be built, being built, inspected for quality, or being shipped is at. I can ordered almost anything and have it shipped either UPS, USPS, or FedEx and know where it is every step of the way. And that product might cost as little as $5. Cannot in this day and age GM do same for a $56000 truck?

A company can have a great product but if they will not communicate with the customer they will never have the confidence of the customer. GM has yet to show me that they have any interest in me as a future customer or that they intend to improve their communication between corporation, dealers and customers.

Good day, RL

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
How many of those things you buy on-line have yet to manufactured and are custom built? But, you expect the same speedee delivery for a very large piece of equipment that has yet to me made. If you needed it quick, why didn't you get a unit off a lot or have your dealer find one for you? Do you want the extra expense of having code readers when ever the vehicle moves knowing that this additional process would more than likely slow the delivery?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A normal truck plant making 1 vehicle per minute is maybe putting out 1200 vehicles per day. Many of the parts now are "just in time" and are coming in on trucks and rail. Including the spare, that would be 6000 tires and wheels for one example. Another would be the frames that come on rail. Frames take up lots of room so you need MANY rail cars to unload and that train might block your finished truck from leaving. Maybe 1 days of build are waiting for a new part because the parts were found to be bad. Now repair is working around the clock to catch up and the drivers are humping to catch up. The trucks and rail people will also have to handle the surge of vehicles but you want them to spend time keeping track of YOUR vehicle. This industry is fast moving and many people are involved so just be patient....their goal is to get you your truck....

·
Registered
97 Posts
the tracking system put in place doe not work,,,,why have it if it doesn't work. This is a stigma thing to a new buyer it, starts you off in the wrong frame of mind. I was told " you will get email updates", "you can also check online with your order number".
Neither of this things happened. EVER! Chevy website never recognized my order online and I never got an email update.
now that makes you wonder about some of the "useless fluff" they add to a vehicle sometimes...does it work like its supposed to ? lest face it gm. has a lot more improvement to do in the customer service department they actually need a total overhaul in that department.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
True, the system is probably not capable of everyone checking in twice a day. Yes, it would be nice to know where your vehicle is, but some people would still want to follow it down the line or hunt it up at the dealer before it was prepped. For some, patience is a tough quality to embrace.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I think its a bit of an underestimation on GM's part about how much info a customer wants and then there are certain customers that want to much info. The info I get comes over a computer system that has every dealer and there employee logged in to it across 4 operating systems. Not just for your order tracking all of our training, rebate info, recall info, messaging system, delivery reporting, onstar support, and more. I have had customer that have been able to call in and track there car down to the railcar its loaded on at the time of shipping. Yes there is a barcode on every item including the final product but do you want GM to pay millions of dollars and turn that cost over to us or you as the customer? UPS,USPS and Fedex have all spent billions to track your millions of pieces of mail and most fuss when the cost of a stamp is raised a few penny's. I think the best we can do is what I try and do for my customers right now. I give a realistic estimate on the order 6 to 8 weeks from order acceptance unless its a tahoe/suburban. If its an allocation issue it can be more. I call my customer when the order is a accepted, when I have a production date, and then when I get the invoice with an estimated delivery date finally when it arrives. Most of the people are very understanding about the time it takes for me to track there order but understand if things were a little more busy here it would be a lot longer between my responses. You have to remember it takes a company like this years to get the bugs out of a system. I remember when there was no tracking website for customer at all I think GM is trying to make changes but as with the orders it can take a very long time for a 100 year old company to make big changes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Gee, I hate to expect too much of a world class organization, but I did not ask for the engine, transmission, etc time to arrival on the assembly line but do expect to them to know when the vehicle is complete, quality inspection time, ready to ship, enroute and delivery to dealer. Does not happen.

I happen to work for a agricultural business that probably is the world leader in its line and I can give you the time and delivery of your custom ordered equipment.

Because, I am like TexusTim, there is a certain "useless fluff" for me that I did not need so I ordered a vehicle that fits my need to a 'T'. If GM does want that, don't allow custom ordering.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
You salesperson should be able to tell where your vehicle is. It's truly not that complicated at all.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Gee, I hate to expect too much of a world class organization, but I did not ask for the engine, transmission, etc time to arrival on the assembly line but do expect to them to know the when the vehicle is complete, quality inspection time, ready to ship, enroute and delivery to dealer. Does not happen.

I happen to work for a agricultural business that probably is the world leader in its line and I can give you the time and delivery of your custom ordered equipment.

Because, I am like TexusTim, there is a certain "useless fluff" for me that I did not need so I ordered a vehicle that fits my need to a 'T'. If GM does want that, don't allow custom ordering.
You dealer can give you that with the order system with the exception being the 4b00 code and thats GM's issue. With the order code and DBC I can tell you just about any of that unless it hits 4b00 then GM will not tell us why its there. Is it a part out of stock was a flaw found in the paint did Big Jim lose a tool in the door. I hate to say it but 90% of the issue with most of the customers i have tracked for has not been any of this its been allocation of the unit the order sit at 1100 for 4 months waiting for the dealer to pull the allocation so the order will go through.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They cannot because the GM business office will not tell them. Follow some of linton23 threads (he is a salesman for Chevrolet) and he can tell you some real horror stories.

By the way, they have redone the status back to "enroute shipping" "What a company"

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
They cannot because the GM business office will not tell them. Follow some of linton23 threads (he is a salesman for Chevrolet) and he can tell you some real horror stories.

By the way, they have redone the status back to "enroute shipping" "What a company"

I show the order code at 6000 this morning for your order as of 9/30?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I have had some bad luck with sold orders. The help center gets info and tells us what we want to here a lot of times. I have had orders that were supposed to be on the train but they left out it was on the train to a boat yard or it will be 3 weeks before the truck is loaded on a boat. There has been a few changes in the last year as to how they ship out the orders and thats caused most of the issues but some of the delays are crazy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I show the order code at 6000 this morning for your order as of 9/30?
Wow, what can I say to that. No vehicle that matches my order is in my driveway, in the dealership lot or prep bay. How interesting. When I entered my order code this morning, it had reverted back to 'shipped/enroute'. As of 8 PM, Tuesday, October 7, 2014 it still says 'shipped/enroute'.

It is more than odd that the dealership site and the customer site do not match. The GM order status system is broke.

Not to say it is only GM that has delivery problems. I learned this morning that a neighbor down the road lost his ordered Ford for a couple months. It was located in a dealers lot in the central Kansas. Ford said they always knew where it was, just didn't know it wasn't suppose to be there. I guess the dealer thought he had an extra pickup that he had yet to received the invoice for.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Wow, what can I say to that. No vehicle that matches my order is in my driveway, in the dealership lot or prep bay. How interesting. When I entered my order code this morning, it had reverted back to 'shipped/enroute'. As of 8 PM, Tuesday, October 7, 2014 it still says 'shipped/enroute'.

It is more than odd that the dealership site and the customer site do not match. The GM order status system is broke.

Not to say it is only GM that has delivery problems. I learned this morning that a neighbor down the road lost his ordered Ford for a couple months. It was located in a dealers lot in the central Kansas. Ford said they always knew where it was, just didn't know it wasn't suppose to be there. I guess the dealer thought he had an extra pickup that he had yet to received the invoice for.
Did you have the dealer lock in a rebate? I have seen this happen on orders when that happens. Whats the order number again?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I would agree on why the dealers site shows 6000. Paid with locked in rebates.
Ok that explains most of the problems with the status changes our system is not set for people to lock in the rebate. You have caused a conflict in the system the unit has been reported sold yet the system is receiving updates along the way. Once the order is reported sold my system will not change its done. But I dont think the public system was set to understand that so it tries to resolve the conflict and you get changing status codes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wonder how many got pranged by Joe Bob at the rail yard and are sitting at some local dealer's body shop waiting in line behind local customer vehicles. Since we were only minutes from the rail yard in Wentzville we got our share of those. Good training for the new painter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts