GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/24/ca...life-cx_jm_0324vehicles.html?partner=yahootix

Consumers are finding vehicles able to withstand the daily demands of life in some unlikely places.

The Honda showroom is one. There, buyers looking for reliable, safe vehicles with low repair costs and reports of problems will find the Odyssey. It ranked first on our list of most durable vehicles. The Honda Pilot, CRV, Civic and Accord also made the list.

That's no surprise, say industry experts. The Japanese automaker typically stands above the competition in quality and reliability surveys.

In Depth
http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/24/ca..._jm_0324vehicles_slide_2.html?thisspeed=20000

"Honda builds an outstanding product," says Dave Wurster, president of Vincentric, an automotive research company. "They are highly reliable, and they last a long time. Their vehicles work well long into the future.”

Other durable rides include small SUVs like the Subaru Forester and Volvo's XC90 and the more luxurious Audi A4 and Acura RDX.

Behind The Numbers
In compiling our list, we looked at several key measures. To gauge safety, we used both the most recent National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration and Insurance Institute of Highway Safety front and side crash-test ratings. Vehicles had to have received at least a four-star rating out five from the NHTSA. Only a top rating of "good" in front, side and rear crash testing was acceptable from the institute.

Related Stories

Ten Cars That Lose Value Fast

Top 20 Most Dangerous Vehicles

We used Consumer Reports' 2007 Reliability Scores to determine reliability ratings. Vehicles had to reach a minimum of 70 out of 100 to be considered, which falls in the second-highest range of "very good."

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Forester was 8th:cool:

It's been awesome. From two tracking in northern Michigan with 4 passengers (and getting marooned in the snow for 9 hours, with help from the internet), towing the 6x12 trailer with quads, my jet skis, towing the jet skis with a stand up in the back, carrying water heaters, junk cast iron pipe, bathroom vanities, slushing through Michigan snow, being rear ended with $11k worth of damage, carrying ladders on the roof rack, trying to move a Chevy 3/4 ton with locked up brakes, driving to Grand Rapids and back, to the cottage in Mancelona and back, driving to Warren and back, 4 wheel peels...

With no issues whatsoever. I never thought a unibody 4 cylinder wagon could be so tough and versatile

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
We used Consumer Reports' 2007 Reliability Scores to determine reliability ratings.
Drat, another worthless non-automotive mag comparo. Nevermind, then.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
a small SUV like the audi A4?? this article is junk, honda propoganda, but i agree hondas are good cars, especially their older stuff. How do we know the RDX is so reliable? its only been out for a year or two

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well the F-150 shouldn't be at the top, I had to rescue 3 guy's who after travelling through a slush hole on the ice this weekend in a F-150 (2005 I think). Broke a tranny cooler and pumped out all of thier tranny fluid.

I run some fluids, hose clamps and hose to them in my old 97 Chevy, (driving around the slush holes)

Hey Sonoma they were from Wisc Too! Sorry east MINN, as they told me.

Sorry F14, your Subby wouldn't have made it. But it all depends on what you need them to do.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Well, it certainly matches my personal experience with older Honda Civics... bulletproof little cars.

Actually, I've even decided recently that I was going to keep daily-driving my current old Civic as long as it keeps running perfectly (I can afford pretty much any car I want now) as I have a LOT of respect for well-built and well-engineered vehicles.

I'm glad, though, that the Big 3 seem to have noticed that quality is important... looking forward to seeing that kind of top 10 filled with American brands eventually.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Gm Trucks, Ford Trucks?

Crown Victoria?
"cars".

Their definition of "toughest" isn't the same as mine... it appears to be a matter of how many problems occur (on average) per vehicle...

Meaning that a glovebox door that gets out of alignment on an indestructible RWD/BOF Crown Vic Police Interceptor (the kind of car that's bought to jump over curbs with minimal maintenance over the life of the car) will result in a loss of "toughness" points for the car.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
My brother-in-law (who babies his vehicles) would argue against the Forester. Needing a new short block (albeit under warranty) and other warranty issues doesn't make the vehicle one of his favorites. And I guess those owners whose vehicles caught fire due to faulty oil filter installations are also happy thnking when is the next time it goes up. Maybe it is the fault of who installed the filters but when is the last time you heard of any other vehicle having problems with oil filters to this extent?
Everybody has had a favorite and a dogin their driveway at some time. For me, the Dodge Caravan would be the vehicle of choice- the first 100,000 miles were free of any troubles. My 98 Grand Caravan is looking this good with only the serpentine belt tensioner changed (under advisement by the dealership) in almost 9 years of service.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I may not have been able to make it through the slush but at least I could have rally-drove for a while:cool:

I can understand a fire being started by a leaking oil filter though. The filter is like above the exhaust crossover which basically wraps around it. You basically HAVE to use a filter-socket to remove and install it or wait a long time for the exhaust to cool down; I've felt the burn through leather gloves

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.