GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. -- An 18-year-old man and 17-year-old girl, both of Castro Valley, died early Tuesday in a crash after a high-speed street race in unincorporated Alameda County, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The California Highway Patrol is investigating whether the crash that killed Clark Wright and Sarah Streicher was caused by street racing.
The CHP received a call at about 12:45 a.m. reporting a single-vehicle crash on Dublin Canyon Road just east of Eden Canyon Road that had knocked down a utility pole, according to CHP Officer Steve Creel.
Authorities arrived to find a 1997 Chevrolet Corvette overturned in the westbound lane of Dublin Canyon Road with the deceased male driver and female passenger inside the vehicle, Creel said.
Authorities arrived to find a 1997 Chevrolet Corvette overturned in the westbound lane of Dublin Canyon Road with the deceased male driver and female passenger inside the vehicle, Creel said.
Through witness interviews, the CHP learned that earlier in the night the victims had been racing against a 2004 BMW M3 car driven by an 18-year-old Castro Valley man who also had a 17-year-old female passenger.
more @ link:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/17168014/detail.html?rss=fran&psp=news

makes me (almost) want neither cars. it also makes me feel frightened of those who might get anything like that at my HS.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
18 and driving a Vette? Where do these kids get the money for these cars.
And note the time of almost 1:00 am.....only bad things can happen. :(

Jesus...300 feet of tire marks! A Corvette can stop from 80 mph in ~130 ft if my memory is not too bad...........they were hauling serious buns.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Ah, street racing... nature's way of weeding out the young and stupid, and weeding out some innocent bystanders for good measure.

I recall my glorious youth, racing in some of the finest street-legal race cars Detroit had to offer:

1988 Ford Taurus 3.0, 1980-something Lumina EuroSport, and 1982 Lincoln Town Car. All with custom (rusted away) exhaust, and blazing 0-60 times in 12 seconds or sometimes less!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Such a shame, cut down in her prime, I mean......sigh, a 1997, she was only ten years old....

To far for me to loot the crash site, I would like a femur and an LS1 intake.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
The good thing here is that it was only a single vehicle crash. No innocent people were hurt. It would have been much more tragic had the Vette plowed into any other vehicle or a home or restaraunt or something. The outcome is something that should have been expected. Risky actions can and will result in peril. At least there is one less risk on the roads for everyone else to deal with (maybe two if, in fact, there was a second vehicle and that driver learned anything from the outcome.)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Look it in an another way. Those teens will go up and produce more idiots that will do the same and kill more innocent people.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Look it in an another way. Those teens will go up and produce more idiots that will do the same and kill more innocent people.
Natural Selection then?? That about sums it up for me......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
That is exactly what I want to do when I get my son his first car. It's still a few years away, but this scares me.
Driving a slow, underpowered car quickly teaches valuable driving skills.

And the quickly really isn't, so don't worry. They'll try, though. Lord knows I did in my 66 Bug and 79 Civic (53 and 57hp, respectively).

·
Registered
25 Posts
What A Horrific scene, Good looking guy and Gal, That could happen to anyone ,especially speed lovers(me? at times) Racing is deadly, especially street.
Im 26, it reminds me of a few years back, distant relative of mine was in a old 80's Chevy Chevette(compact) when a then new black Corvette ZR-1 (back in 93'?) was speeding . and with like 4 or 5 18 yo's in them, the chevette had 4-5 people in there,driving normal. when the Zr-1(I love corvettes btw) Plowed into the Chevette at 100+mph and cut the little chevette in half! everyone in the chevette died. and of course the rich kid who was the new ZR (his dad gave him! no less a ZR-1!) went to jail. thats fast. (this was in Miami) .. my mom also used to tell me the story of a beautiful young lady of her co-worker of hers, who became in a vegetative state after being a passenger in a yellow vette. and the guy survived and moved on.
thats why she doesn't want me to own a vette,especially a yellow car or yellow vette. But its a sad thing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ah, street racing... nature's way of weeding out the young and stupid, and weeding out some innocent bystanders for good measure.

I recall my glorious youth, racing in some of the finest street-legal race cars Detroit had to offer:

1988 Ford Taurus 3.0, 1980-something Lumina EuroSport, and 1982 Lincoln Town Car. All with custom (rusted away) exhaust, and blazing 0-60 times in 12 seconds or sometimes less!
Just a little sidenote, but the Lumina's first MY of production was 1990. I used to drive a 1990 Lumina Euro that rolled off the assembly line in October, 1989. If I remember right, summer '89 was when they first started hitting dealer lots.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The good thing here is that it was only a single vehicle crash. No innocent people were hurt. It would have been much more tragic had the Vette plowed into any other vehicle or a home or restaraunt or something. The outcome is something that should have been expected. Risky actions can and will result in peril. At least there is one less risk on the roads for everyone else to deal with (maybe two if, in fact, there was a second vehicle and that driver learned anything from the outcome.)
The passenger wasnt innocent? I keep seeing negative posts that are including the passenger as deserving of her fate and called an idiot, but how do you know that she wasnt anything more than a innocent girlfriend out with her dumbass boyfriend? I might have missed it in the article but I didnt see where they found her responsible. Sure, she might have been egging him on, but she might also have not been in a position to change his actions.

I was a passenger in a fatal car wreck, and there was nothing that I could have done, as a teenage girlfriend, to make the driver slow down and drive more responsibly.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts