GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 2005 model car for my son. I know any of them is not out yet, was just wondering about pricing, and insurance. I will probably get it toward April or May for his high school gradation. Why a new car instead of a used one? I want to have a warrenty that will last while he is in college. Any Suggestion, and yes I'm looking for GM Cars Only!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
A Cobalt SS Supercharged or a Saturn ION Red Line! :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Cobalt looks decent. The Vibe and G6 are pretty cool but they're a little more expensive. The Colorado and Canyon are good trucks.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
How much do you want to spend?

What type of kid is your teenager? (Bookworm, party animal, responsible, careless?)

All those are factors in what an appropriate car would be.

As a first car, why not buy used?
Cheaper insurance, and less likely to be used to show off.
Also , if he smashes it, not as much harm done.
And you can usually get something bigger and safer (mid 90's Deville or Caprice).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jul 17 2004, 05:09 AM
How much do you want to spend?

What type of kid is your teenager? (Bookworm, party animal, responsible, careless?)

All those are factors in what an appropriate car would be.

And you can usually get something bigger and safer (mid 90's Deville or Caprice).
How much do you want to spend? I'm looking not to spend under $30,000, but willing to go over.

What type of kid is your teenager? (Bookworm, party animal, responsible, careless?) responsilbe,bookwarm (lol), but he deserve it, still he got one more year left, and he better not mess up.

All those are factors in what an appropriate car would be. Yes they are!!!

The reason I'm not wanting to buy it used, because of serveral reason. One is financing, I'm hoping that the 0 percent down will still be available. Also the interest rate is a lot higher on a used car then a new car. As I menton above, I will like a car that will carry a warranty on it through out college. What I'm really worry about is Insurance. He is on my insurane and when he got on it, my insurance almost double. Reason, because of his age and being that he is male, and the car I drive (Caddy).

Here is some of the cars he been looking at on the net, and my opinion.

Pontiac GTO, too fast, insurance probably will be as high as the sky.

Caddy CTS, don't know much about that car.

Pontiac G6, don't know much about the car either.

Saturn ION, but he don't like the dash in the center of the car, but I like it. Seem just right for a teenager, and the price is reasonable.

Im open to any suggestion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jul 16 2004, 11:09 PM
Don't listen to this nonsense. Buy your son a brand new car if you want. Then have a talk with my dad.

I drive a '92 Dodge Dynasty. I don't like it, and I don't respect it. It has been washed once in the 1 1/2 years I have driven it. I do take care of the engine though. I have to. The car dies quite often. My dad's favorite comment about the car is, "That car is not a 4x4 vehicle, no matter how you may drive and treat it."

Has your son had a PoS used car like I have. Because if I ever got a new car I would treat it like the Holy Grail. If he hasn't though he might not appreciate it as much and may not realize what he has.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by ChevyHoosier+Jul 16 2004, 10:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ChevyHoosier @ Jul 16 2004, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider@Jul 16 2004, 11:09 PM
Don't listen to this nonsense. Buy your son a brand new car if you want. Then have a talk with my dad.

I drive a '92 Dodge Dynasty. I don't like it, and I don't respect it. It has been washed once in the 1 1/2 years I have driven it. I do take care of the engine though. I have to. The car dies quite often. My dad's favorite comment about the car is, "That car is not a 4x4 vehicle, no matter how you may drive and treat it."

Has your son had a PoS used car like I have. Because if I ever got a new car I would treat it like the Holy Grail. If he hasn't though he might not appreciate it as much and may not realize what he has.[/b][/quote]
I doubt Rex meant a 12 year old car when he said 'used'. I'd find a year or two old GTP or something similar. Even if you have to put a grand or two in it down the road it's still way cheaper than brand new. Warranty is practically useless anyways. Just my opinion of course :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look at the Pontiac Vibe. Decent gas mileage, reasonable insurance and a suprising amount of space in back for him to haul his stuff back and forth to school.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by GMFan1@Jul 17 2004, 12:21 AM
Saturn ION, but he don't like the dash in the center of the car, but I like it. Seem just right for a teenager, and the price is reasonable.

Im open to any suggestion.
Your answer is the 2005 Chevy Cobalt, which is an improved Saturn ION, without the center speedo. Pricing with Chevy rebates should be similar to the "no ****er sticker" on the ION.

See article here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.ph...=3208&hl=cobalt

See it at Chevy.com: http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/

The Saturn ION also improves for 2005, but keeps the funky center stack and strange wheels.

Another possibly cheap route would be a new 2004 Grand Am coupe (Or base Olds Alero) with big incentives for the summer, but the Cobalt is much sweeter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im 16 and personally I'd be happy with a slightly used Pontiac Grand Prix. The Grand Prix is an awesome car, especially the latest generation. The Vibe is nice too. But the Cobalt is no car for a teenager. The Mazda 3 is so much better, but it's not a GM car. The Saturn Ion coupe is also another suggestion, i recall that the interior is being re-done for 2005. There are so many cars to choose from. Personally, I'd go with a 97 or 98 BMW 3-Series, theyre only like $20,000 Canadian.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I have to agree with BMW Kid, I dont think a Cobalt is the right car for a teen (unless they are in the "tuner" croud). I am 16 also, if I had the oppurtunity to get a brand new car, it would probably be a Grand Prix or G6. It really depends on if you are a car guy or not. Personally, I wouldnt wanna be caught dead in a Vibe or a Mazda 3. I would rather be seen in a GP or G6, or even a used BMW or Audi. The Saturn quad coupe looks great from the outside, but once you get inside the car it doesnt look so good anymore, especially the center stack.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Jul 18 2004, 01:52 AM
I have to agree with BMW Kid, I dont think a Cobalt is the right car for a teen (unless they are in the "tuner" croud). I am 16 also, if I had the oppurtunity to get a brand new car, it would probably be a Grand Prix or G6. It really depends on if you are a car guy or not. Personally, I wouldnt wanna be caught dead in a Vibe or a Mazda 3. I would rather be seen in a GP or G6, or even a used BMW or Audi. The Saturn quad coupe looks great from the outside, but once you get inside the car it doesnt look so good anymore, especially the center stack.
You can't be serious about the Mazda 3. It's the best looking compact on the raod today. They're expensice when optioned out though. My aunt got one a white Mazda 3 sport for like $32,000 Canadian, it was fully loaded.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I'm 18, and in the car market myself! I am considering the following:

-Equinox
-G6
-Saturn Vue
-Cobalt SS
-Grand Prix (possibly) I cannot decide if I wasnt

I may end up just keeping my 2003 GP and waiting for the Solstice to arrive next year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jul 18 2004, 02:09 AM
I'm 18, and in the car market myself! I am considering the following:

-Equinox
-G6
-Saturn Vue
-Cobalt SS
-Grand Prix (possibly) I cannot decide if I wasnt

I may end up just keeping my 2003 GP and waiting for the Solstice to arrive next year.
Definately go with the G6. The Pontiac Solstice will end up becoming the new "chick car". The solstice is a nice looking car, but I have a feeling the young girls will be after it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by ChevyHoosier+Jul 17 2004, 12:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ChevyHoosier @ Jul 17 2004, 12:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider@Jul 16 2004, 11:09 PM

Has your son had a PoS used car like I have. Because if I ever got a new car I would treat it like the Holy Grail. If he hasn't though he might not appreciate it as much and may not realize what he has. [/b][/quote]
OMG are you kidding me! Did you read your post after typing it? I try not to judge people, and I dont know you, but just from that you seem like a spoiled ungreatfull little prick(can I use that word). Especially if that car was purchased for you. If I rolled back to teenage years, and didnt have to buy my own vehical, I would probably go toward a Colorado/Canyon, G6, or an Alero.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts