GM Inside News Forum banner

Teen driver clocked at 239 km/h, police say

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  SuperSS27 
#1 ·
Not car related, but driving related..found it interesting. For those not famaliar with the converstions, 239km/h is about 150mph. This is from a Toronto Newspaper:

A Barrie-area teenager has been stripped of his driving privileges after a car was seen speeding at 239 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.

Huronia West OPP were on a routine patrol at 1:50 a.m. yesterday when they spotted a Lincoln LLS northbound on Highway 26, north of Barrie.

The car was being driven erratically before it was finally pulled over in Midhurst, police said, adding there were four other individuals under 18 in the vehicle.

A 17-year-old youth from Springwater township is charged with street racing, careless driving and failure to surrender his licence. He is to appear in Wasaga Beach provincial court on June 17.

Police laid 163 street racing charges during the OPP's long weekend blitz and seized as many cars, mostly operated by young men in their early 20s or late teens.

In the GTA alone, there were about 300 accidents since the blitz began on Friday. Official statistics will not be available until later today.

full article here: http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/427467

See less See more
#3 ·
"Guns don't kill people. Idiots in cars kill people."

Wow. Thanks God they got him before any really damage was done. I think a new method of teach Drivers Ed. is needed. Scar the ***** out of them with videos and such.

#4 ·
I think a new method of teach Drivers Ed. is needed. Scar the ***** out of them with videos and such.
....and add a little jail time and community service in there and he might straighten out. At that speed the car is a loaded gun. The kid should not be treated any different from any other criminal.

#8 ·
A Lincoln LLS? Is that the LS with an extra emphasis on luxury - Luxury Luxury Sport? Did they offer an LSS or would that have conflicted with Oldsmobile?:rolleyes:

#10 ·
If the kid ended up crashing his car and putting his stupid *** in a wheelchair or body bag......you wouldn't see any tears from me.

Reckless idiots like this deserve whatever happens & whatever the law allows for......:rolleyes:

#13 ·
That is crazy, Having once lived that way I know there are some hi-ways that easy to get going on, but that fast wow. He will be lucky if he gets his licence back in 5 yrs and even luckier if an insurance company will touch him for 15000 a yr on a piece of crap. I would doubt if he was more then a G2 driver (gradulated licencing, so that is being able to drive alone but with a ton of restrictions) Street Racing is starting to be the new charge of choice, even if your car is all alone. Needless to say that kid is screwed.. Best part is, it's probably mommy and daddy's Lincoln

#15 ·
I got ran up on "Speed Contest" charges for accidently running a redlight doing 50 in a 40. Recieved 40 hours community service and spent it mowing baseball fields in july.

I can't imagine what that kid will get for doing 3x the limit.

#16 ·
Ontario's street racing law allows officers to immediately impound the offenders car. According to the article:

"...his car has been seized and will be held for seven days. His licence has been suspended. If convicted, a driver travelling more than 50 km/h over the speed limit faces a fine ranging from a minimum of $2,000 up to $10,000."

The law kicks in anytime someone is caught exceeding the limit by 50 km/h or more (about 30 mph). Obviously, the emphasis here is on "more."

The "highway" in question is actually a road, not a divided, Interstate-type freeway. According to what I could see in Google Maps, its four-lanes in some section and two lane in others.

Driving at 240 km/h on a road with regular intersections is downright criminal. Plus, it was at night, meaning that even with high beams, the driver was grossly overdriving his lights.

I like to drive a bit quick .. but this was way over the top!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.