GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
COLUMBUS — General Motors Corp. and other companies recently sought an extension of the state's job retention tax credit, a mechanism that could help manufacturers keep jobs in Ohio, legislators believe.

Speaker Jon Husted, R-Kettering, said GM's representatives who pushed for the amendment to the tax credit mentioned GM's SUV assembly plant in Moraine.

"They mentioned it specifically," Husted said today, May 22.

The change extends the credit for three additional years or seven years total, whichever is longer, Husted said.

~

"This action shows that Ohio is listening to the needs of business and is serious about attracting business investment in the state," Ken Mohre, assistant manager at the GM-Moraine plant, said in a statement the chamber released today.

The credit extension is part of House Bill 562, which was passed out of the House Finance and Appropriations Committee today and may be voted on by the entire House this evening.
source Dayton Daily News
http://www.daytondailynews.com/b/content/oh/story/business/2008/05/22/ddn052208gmtaxweb.html

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
From my understanding, the new T370 trucks and SUVs are going to be sold throughout the world. The western hemisphere market trucks are going to be built in Shreveport, LA.

Could this mean that another product might be going to Moranie? Maybe the current Trailblazer will be sold overseas for a few more years?

Think about it...a full frame SUV with low range four wheel drive, good reliability (thanks to being on sale for 5+ years), and a powerful engine. With the current exchange rates, this thing could be sent off to a number of countries for a lower price than before.

Everywhere Toyota is selling the Land Cruiser Prado and the 4 runner, this Trailblazer (or a new design) should be sold. GM should be able to tap into that market with durable trucks and good prices.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
A fair tax code, along with a balanced budget/fiscal responsibility and less burdensome legislation that inhibits the development of business, would go much further than a tax credit ever will go. It's better for GM, and it's better for the individual citizens of Moraine who are already burdened by a weak economy, rising fuel costs (further increased by State and federal taxes, I might add), and who simultaneously will have to shoulder the burden of this tax credit.

I wish politicians would develop a longer-term view of their responsibilities than coming up with the pandering-to-certain-parts-of-the-constituency du jour.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
From my understanding, the new T370 trucks and SUVs are going to be sold throughout the world. The western hemisphere market trucks are going to be built in Shreveport, LA.

Could this mean that another product might be going to Moranie? Maybe the current Trailblazer will be sold overseas for a few more years?

Think about it...a full frame SUV with low range four wheel drive, good reliability (thanks to being on sale for 5+ years), and a powerful engine. With the current exchange rates, this thing could be sent off to a number of countries for a lower price than before.

Everywhere Toyota is selling the Land Cruiser Prado and the 4 runner, this Trailblazer (or a new design) should be sold. GM should be able to tap into that market with durable trucks and good prices.
Allready 20+% of what comes off of our line is going to the "BRICK ME" Countries especially the "ME". Those what we make are allready "Sold". That was the main thing I was worried about with the plants out of parts for 8+ weeks is the Export sales, I don't want to loose those.

And for the record I don't want our plant to get another Truck or SUV. But if that is all we can get then I guess we will take it.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The GMT 360 has been under used in my opinion, the GMT 360 with some updates in both driveline and styling could do really well, providing either an inbetween for the Colorado customer that does not want to step up to a Silverado and the same for the Silverado customer that does not want to go all the way down to a Colorado, the shame is that there never was an actual truck variant of the GMT 360, I think that was a missed opportunity. The GMT 360 and the Altas engines represent an enormous ammount of time and money that was spent, I dont think that GM should walk away from that investment.

They should consider adding DI to all the Atlas engines, along with 5speed and 6 speed automatics. Work on replacing some components and structures with aluminum to lower weight and improve the GMT 360's MPG. I could help to keep the platform viable for a few more years.

Chevrolet should have jumped on the chance to offer a smaller "Avalanche" style truck/SUV on the Trailblazer. If the Colorado/Canyon replacements remain similar to their current size, there is a viable case to have a real mid-sized truck to fight the now larger Tacoma, Frontier and Dakota, not to mention a 6 cylinder small Ridgeline fighter.

There also still is market for a more efficient mid-size SUV, GM should just drop, (if they have not already)the Saab and Isuzu versions of the GMT 360 and concentrate on the bread and butter Chevrolet and GMC versions. There is a distinct niche in the market that they fill, there are some customers that do want something that is more "robust" than a Lambda, but dont want to go all they way up to a Yukon/Tahoe/Sub sized vehicle.

The shame is that without an independent rear suspension or significant reworking of the body, they will remain 5 seaters, which does limit their appeal, unless perhaps a heavy duty version of the Zeta or Sigmas rear will fit in the 360's?

The GMT 360 also does represent another opportunity for GM to use it's new 4.5 Duramax DOHC V8, combined with the heavy duty 6 speed automatic, it could give GM a distinctive advantage in the mid-sized truck/SUV market. The smaller DMax could give GM the chance to boast about best MPG and best towing capacity.

There is going to be a whole bunch of current Tahoe/Yukon/Silverado/Sierra/Suburban Etc, customers that are going to be looking at dowsizing in the next few years, GM should working on improving the current GMC/Chev 360's variants and add new ones to the line up to help catch large SUV and truck customers that are moving down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Allready 20+% of what comes off of our line is going to the "BRICK ME" Countries especially the "ME". Those what we make are allready "Sold". That was the main thing I was worried about with the plants out of parts for 8+ weeks is the Export sales, I don't want to loose those.

And for the record I don't want our plant to get another Truck or SUV. But if that is all we can get then I guess we will take it.
If the rumor mill is correct and GM really only sold (1300) 360's world wide during march and april, export sales will be the least of your worries.
Sadly, after GM's June 3rd announcement I'm afraid that Moraines future
will not look too stellar. Over capacity , tired old gas guzzler design and
the wrong union in house might just spell the end of a good run.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the rumor mill is correct and GM really only sold (1300) 360's world wide during march and april, export sales will be the least of your worries.
Sadly, after GM's June 3rd announcement I'm afraid that Moraines future
will not look too stellar. Over capacity , tired old gas guzzler design and
the wrong union in house might just spell the end of a good run.
Rumor mill could be correct as we only build them mainly on order. If we are not running then how can we sell them. They can order them, But we wern't building them to sell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rumor mill could be correct as we only build them mainly on order. If we are not running then how can we sell them. They can order them, But we wern't building them to sell.
Your theory would hold some water if the products produced also didn't have
a average 100+ day field supply. The fact that it has not been built in over two months only shows the sad plight that plant is in. Build to order jobs can vary from fleet sales (not a big money maker) ,to the fact that GM is no longer making the dealers swallow more of that product than they can sell.
Its a shame the corp couldn't come up with a follow-up product ,seems like it is just another one hit wonder GM is well known for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts