GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARREN — General Motors Corp. filed Monday for a 12-year tax break on a proposed $190 million expansion and renovation project at its Technical Center in Warren that could preserve nearly 1,900 jobs.

If built, the project would result in the transfer of 877 mostly engineering jobs from other GM locations in Michigan, with many coming from Pontiac, a GM spokesman told Warren city officials.

The investment would also allow GM to keep 993 existing jobs at the Tech Center.

If the council approves the tax break, Warren would still realize $3.8 million in new taxes from the GM investment, Mayor Mark Steenbergh said.

“In this kind of economy, that kind of investment is nothing to sneeze at,” Steenbergh said. “But we need to convince GM to come here. If we don’t, the jobs will likely go overseas.”

Dennis Henry, president of UAW Local 160, which represents many of the Tech Center workers, joined Steenbergh at a Monday press conference to urge approval of the tax break.

“With this move, (the Tech Center) will be the engineering capital of the U.S. for GM,” Henry said. “This will be a one-stop shopping center (for engineering work) and will help GM make better products.”

GM is asking Warren for a tax break to support expanding the GM Tech Center.

Even if the Warren council approves the tax break -- it is expected to come to a vote in early May -- there is no guarantee GM will go ahead with the Tech Center expansion project, according to GM spokesman John M. McDonald.

"GM is committed to southeastern Michigan, but we're in a globally competitive environment," McDonald said. "So we (need to) make a business case for this project."

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does this sound stupid to anyone else??

I mean, give us a tax break so that we might expand and keep jobs, but give us the liberty to decide at a later date even if we get it to ship the jobs overseas??

Come on GM, you can't really think America is that stupid, do you??

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
When pressed about where a local company would relocate 1,000+ jobs in my home State if the capital city did not produce tax incentives to convince said company to stay, a higher-ranking employee of the company indicated that the company had no intention to move anywhere (i.e., it amounted to a bluff). I wonder how much of GM's chat is smokes and mirrors and how much is true.

And not so sound like an elitist, but I also wonder what type of quality engineer you would get if you were to hire engineers from a developing country. While some of those people would be educated at Western universities, I'm not sure all of them would be. There's a reason why many people come from other countries to be educated at our colleges and universities, and even government and industry often turn to these same colleges and universities to collaborate on basic and applied research. (God, I know how that sounds, but I cannot help but think it's at least partially true; I've experienced it directly).

It certainly would be tragic if 993 well-paid, educated men and women lost their jobs, but frankly $190,000,000 over 12 years is a high price to pay for $3,800,000 in new revenue; that's a bad R.O.I. I would be particularly upset if I were one of those employees, but I also would be a tad upset if I were a Warren resident asked to cough up the cash for that tax break.

I guess it all depends on your perspective.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There's a lot of engineering students from India and the like attending my university (University of Missouri-Columbia). I bet you not an insignificant number of them will return to India and work there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts