GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mahindra not interested in HUMMER

Despite assurances from top GM brass, every bidder for the troubled HUMMER brand appears to be removing itself from the rumormill. Considered one of the strongest suitors interested in the off-road marque, India's Mahindra is the latest brand to pull out of consideration. According to Vice Chairman Anand Mahindra, "There has been a lot of speculation. I want to say categorically we are not pursuing HUMMER." That sounds pretty definitive to us, leaving Tata Motors as the only company from India still reportedly interested. Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska has pulled his name out of the mix, as has China's Hunan Changfeng Motor Co. Until an official announcement is made, all of this is just speculation, but we have to wonder just how valuable the HUMMER brand could possibly be now that its sales have plummeted so far and so fast.

Source Autoblog

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Question is why do TATA want it? Assuming they do want it....

I wonder if TATA are thinking of effectively handing Hummers operations straight over to Land Rover. I suppose logically Hummber may not come with it's own R&D division so Land Rover could just run it as a division. They could then spin smaller Jeep rivaling vehicles off Land Rover floorpans and running gear.

Alternatively maybe the just want the dealer network and the factory. This way they could make some Land Rovers and Jags in the USA, avoiding any currency issues. Given TATA's relationship with Alfa may they could also make some Alfa's there.....

Just speculating. But I suppose Land Rover may be one of the few brands capable of rescuing Hummer given that they both make SUV's....

·
Registered
450 Posts
I hope so. I hope GM is forced to keep it.

It's a great brand with a lot of potential. They just need to make more relevant vehicles.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
why don't we on GMI get some Paypal money together and buy it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts