GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
According to ***********.com:

"The next-gen full-size pickups have been pushed forward by about nine months to fall 2018, with the next-gen full-size SUVs such as the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon following about a year later. Much like Ford’s aluminium bodied F-150, GM will mostly focus on lightening the new platform, which is being referred to internally as T1XX."

This is not anything that is brand new news. However, GM is in full swing with development and designs. I think this would be the proper time to start voicing some desires that might want to be addressed by Gm from its core buyer/fan group.

I have full confidence that the new trucks will be beautiful, capable, and surprisingly efficient. I do have a few requests that I will lay out, and I invite you to express your wishes as well.

1. Stance: The raked look is good for fuel economy, I'm sure, but I prefer the option of a level stance without the need for the aftermarket to address this.

2. Make the All Terrain really all terrain: The core of the GMC All Terrain package is mainly a Z71 with brand name shocks and colored bumpers. Give it some ground clearance. Allow it to really go off road without knocking off the front air dam. A 2"-3" lift over stock ride height with 31" tires should suffice. The "Reaper" is not an option for a Raptor or Power Wagon competitor due to it being aftermarket.

3. Rear air vents in the crew cabs: Sedans have rear air vents, even mid-size ones with a less volume of air to keep climate controlled, so why cant a $40-$50-+$60,000 truck.

4. A bigger cab: Not a megacab or anything, but a little more interior space would be nice. I am talking about both rear seat leg room and total cab width.

I left off powertrains and materials/fit and finish from my list because i think they are a given. They always need to be improved and updated to stay competitive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I want air vents in the back seat goddammit!

And have you even been in a crew cab? The back seat is huge.

And stock sized All Terrain tires are 32" tall (well 31.91") They are 275/55r20.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
A bigger cab, means more weight. The 1/2 tons have already become too big, and with fuel economy standards increasing, something has to give.
The "Big Box" trucks need to be streamlined, to shave some weight. Don't get me wrong, I like the new body styles, but getting bigger with each successive
generation is adding weight. GM would be smart to move away from the box design, and give the truck some curves to help cheat the wind as well.
Increasing efficiency is the name of the game right now. We know the next truck will be lighter, I think GM needs to look back at the C/K1500 that was introduced
in 88/89. The front end was rounded off from the previous gen box design. Ford followed suit with a revised front end on the then current gen F150, Dodge waited until
94 to unveil the new front face of their truck, and Ford did a complete redesign in 97 models that had a more rounded front end. I for one, hope the next gen Chevy/GMC
trucks will shrink the exterior dimension a little bit. The full size sport truck market took off when GM introduced the C/K1500's in 88/89. There were modified trucks everywhere
when that generation hit the streets. This is what GM needs to duplicate.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I want to see them actually offer a truly luxurious pickup truck.

Either as a Denali or some other ****amamy trim, whatever it is, but I want to see a Sierra with a hardwood bed and a backseat worthy of a being the pinnacle of luxury pickups with anything but a console-mounted shifter.

See the Ford F250 Super Chief concept:

I want to see more differentiation; I want a classic-looking Chevy and a highly technical, design-heavy Sierra.

Stop playing it safe on such high-margin products. People will pay for it if you offer it.

Also a Raptor competitor. That's a full-size truck.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ha ha ha ha ha...so still 4 years away? I really don't know what they are drumming about as 5-year overhaul cycle is about average.

Without an 8-speed for the V8's, some performance and off road trims, GM's trucks will be looking more and more as also ran.

Since you asked, here is my wish list:

Can we have the clam shell doors on the extended cabs back? The little, forward hinged, doors make the back even worse to access and load things into.

8-bed with an extended cab. Why GM ever took it away is beyond me, since they have all the parts on hand.

8-speed with the 5.3 would be great. It's done quite a bit for the 6.2 hwy mileage wise.

Get away from raising the hood even higher than it is, in fact take it back down to the level of 2013's and prior years, probably going lower would help even more. Current hood height of the half tons that compares to the 2014 3/4-ton trucks makes the truck look ungainly, it ruins gas mileage, and makes even 20" wheels look comical in comparison. Change the super conservative design, but with cartoonishly large wheel flares and openings to something a lot more cohesive. Current truck looks great from some angles, just down right stupid from others.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

And stock sized All Terrain tires are 32" tall (well 31.91") They are 275/55r20.
I didn't realize the tire size, my apologies. But I still want more ground clearance.

And yes the back seat of a crew cab is okay in size but being a few inches over the 6 foot mark in height a little more room would be nice.

I also second the wood floor bed in a high end truck. It's just classy.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
A bigger cab, means more weight. The 1/2 tons have already become too big, and with fuel economy standards increasing, something has to give.
The "Big Box" trucks need to be streamlined, to shave some weight. Don't get me wrong, I like the new body styles, but getting bigger with each successive
generation is adding weight. GM would be smart to move away from the box design, and give the truck some curves to help cheat the wind as well.
Increasing efficiency is the name of the game right now. We know the next truck will be lighter, I think GM needs to look back at the C/K1500 that was introduced
in 88/89. The front end was rounded off from the previous gen box design. Ford followed suit with a revised front end on the then current gen F150, Dodge waited until
94 to unveil the new front face of their truck, and Ford did a complete redesign in 97 models that had a more rounded front end. I for one, hope the next gen Chevy/GMC
trucks will shrink the exterior dimension a little bit. The full size sport truck market took off when GM introduced the C/K1500's in 88/89. There were modified trucks everywhere
when that generation hit the streets. This is what GM needs to duplicate.

GM has some of if not in some instances, the lightest 1/2 ton trucks on the market already. Lighter or the same as the 2015 F150. It took Ford since 2004, when they first put F150 under the knife, until 2015 model year to figure out how to lighten their truck and have caught up on the weight front.

So...when K2XX gets replaced, GM will only get lighter than the new F150. Heck, they could probably make a bigger cab for all configurations and still be lighter. I would imagine that T1XX would mean a new frame, since K2XX is really just a mildly updated GMT-900 (which was all new for 2007).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You guys remember C3XX? That was the full size truck program that was abruptly scrapped in favor of K2XX. I heard a rumor that C3XX was to have a lot of aluminum in it's body, but the associated costs and financial problems GM was in at the time caused it to be dropped.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Anyone scared that the new truck is called T1XX? As in their might be a T101 model? Spooky...or even worse a T100 model a la Toyota.

·
Registered
21,338 Posts

In many cases the floor vents under the seat don't cut it, especially in cooling A/C mode.

Have you been in the back seat of a F150 Crew Cab, GM's 2014/K2XX cab is the same size as the 2007-2013 GMT900.

A bigger cab, means more weight.....................
One of the reasons the GM has been lighter than the F150.

GM has some of if not in some instances, the lightest 1/2 ton trucks on the market already. Lighter or the same as the 2015 F150. It took Ford since 2004, when they first put F150 under the knife, until 2015 model year to figure out how to lighten their truck and have caught up on the weight front.

So...when K2XX gets replaced, GM will only get lighter than the new F150. Heck, they could probably make a bigger cab for all configurations and still be lighter. I would imagine that T1XX would mean a new frame, since K2XX is really just a mildly updated GMT-900 (which was all new for 2007).
The F150 grew in 2009, and since GM now has a very big Mid-Size Truck, GM probably should make the Full-Size as big as the Ford.

Shhhhh, you'll upset the K2XX crowd, most still think they got an "All New" truck............. :lmao:

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
184 Posts
Raptor competitor with good looks to match. No more friggin' sticker editions!
Yes yes yes.

Also, i want flat loading surface in the back row of double cabs and crew cabs. Or do something like Ram's and include the foldaway flat surface. My dads 2014 Ram has that and its pretty nifty.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for comparison sake:
According to wikipedia the GMT 400
Wheelbase117.5 in (2,984 mm)131.5 in (3,340 mm)141.5 in (3,594 mm)155.5 in (3,950 mm)
Length 194.5 in (4,940 mm)213.1 in (5,413 mm)218.5 in (5,550 mm)237.4 in (6,030 mm)
Width 76.8 in (1,951 mm)77.1 in (1,958 mm)
Height 73.2 in (1,859 mm)72.6 in (1,844 mm)

The Colorado is now
Wheelbase 140.5" (Crew Cab, Long Box)
Length: 224.9 w/o bumpers
Width: 74.3"
Height: 70.5"

Trucks have grown in capability and size. With the Colorado being so close to what was considered a full-size a few years ago, there is no need to shrink the new full-size trucks. Let the full-size be what a new full size should be. There is room for a bigger cab.

·
Registered
21,338 Posts
Diesels...
Gas Prices Today: (11/17/2014)

Regular: $2.899
Mid-Grade: $3.049
Premium: $3.199
Diesel: $4.059

Unless you need a diesel, it remains a hard sell.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
And gas is $2.45 here in Fort Worth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts